Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: kuhnle khunle Voltmer, please help!

  1. #1
    Member ajchambers8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    181
    Blog Entries
    1

    kuhnle khunle Voltmer, please help!

    I hope to enlist the help of you good people again, I am looking for someone on the 1881 censes
    Regina Katherina Kuhnle, (though surname is subject to variation and she was often called kate too) she was born 21 Feb 1861 in Germany. hausen neckarkeis Wuerttemburg, she died young leaving three daughters on 17 May 1898 in 29 St George st. London.

    Her widowed mother and all her sibblings had left germany and were in st george in the east london in 1881, her sister fredericka was married to Albert Schramm and all the family lived together at the same address....

    the mystery is where was Regina?
    we know she married in London in 1883 to her first husband (heilmann who died within the year or so as did her twin babies) and is down as living in Limehouse on the banns, but where I have searched like crazy for her under various versions of her name to no avail and manually have searched the entiretly of st george in the east, most of Limehouse and will have to start shadwell soon !...its truly a labour of love isnt it!...if anyone can help I would be glad of it!

    Also her second husband whom she married in st george in the east in 1888, jack the ripper year, Peter Christophe Voltmer, born 1851 Germany father heinz or hans a farmer, he died in bow infirmary in 1932 and went to a paupers grave in the city of london cemetery which we discovered last year.

    we are trying to find information on his early life in germany and trying to establish his arrival to england. and are trying to fill in the missing years between 1911 and 1932... ironically the address on his death cert is the same address that had been albert and frederikas (his wifes sister and husband) prior to both their deaths in 1928...so we think he remained close to his late wifes family and til the end.

    we have pretty much tracked his life from about 1886 as a liscened victualler at the crooked billet st george st, st george in the east, who turned his hand to being a fruiterer briefly in putney, returned briefly to victualling at an unknown pub, when regina died soon after in 1898 his daughters went to a childrens home in roehamption lane putney , where by all accounts they were well cared for and taught a trade, it was not a dickensian style typical home, some mysterious benefactor paid for their keep there, however as far as we know never saw their father again.

    After the death of his wife Peter became a dock labourer, and was listed as a retired dock labouerer at the time of his death...again any help would be welcome.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this, these were my partners great grand parents, we are at a dead end and would love to find out more.

  2. #2
    Hi - does the 1911 census provide more clues for you with regards to Peter?
    That shows his birth year as 1858 and living in St George in the East.
    There is also a Katrine F Voltmer aged 20, living in Sevenoaks, Kent...one of his children?

  3. #3
    This is a long short do you think it could be her if you look at the image the surname looks like it could be spelt Kuhn they have transcribed hammersmith wrong
    1881
    Katherine Kahn
    Age: 17
    Estimated birth year: abt 1864
    Relation: Servant
    Gender: Female
    Where born: Germany

    Civil parish: Harmmersmith
    County/Island: London
    Country: England

    Street Address: 74 Goldhawk Rd Bakers Shop

    Class: RG11; Piece: 60; Folio: 49; Page: 28
    GWEN

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lower Saxony in Germany
    Posts
    78
    Hello
    I also found a Hans Heinrich Voltmer* 1771- 1838 ( at ancestry in Hanover.)
    In another contribution I took that this farmer was
    Some still live in Lower Saxony in the area north of Hanover. ( Neustadt am Rübengebirge). From unite

    Peter Christophe Voltmer would be written so Peter Christopher (Christoph, Christofer, Christof), Voltmer in German
    The attempt to write the surname as Vollmer led me into the Pfalz. Gives others a wine-growing estate Heinrich Vollmer among many in the Palz (Württemberg). Heinz or also Hans is the shortened forms of Heinrich. Both appear also as Hans Heinrich or Heinz Heinrich.
    But the name Vollmer is very far common. Without other clues it gets very hard to find the right ancestors.
    Wolf

  5. #5
    Member ajchambers8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    181
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
    This is a long short do you think it could be her if you look at the image the surname looks like it could be spelt Kuhn they have transcribed hammersmith wrong
    1881
    Katherine Kahn
    Age: 17
    Estimated birth year: abt 1864
    Relation: Servant
    Gender: Female
    Where born: Germany

    Civil parish: Harmmersmith
    County/Island: London
    Country: England

    Street Address: 74 Goldhawk Rd Bakers Shop

    Class: RG11; Piece: 60; Folio: 49; Page: 28
    Hi there Gwen, that sounds interesting indeed, could you possibly post the link to the page? its def worth looking at, there are so many ways that surname could be writen and then theres the inumerators interpretation and also transcription errors!...so quite possible could be her!... thanks so much xxx

  6. #6
    Member ajchambers8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    181
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WZowe View Post
    Hello
    I also found a Hans Heinrich Voltmer* 1771- 1838 ( at ancestry in Hanover.)
    In another contribution I took that this farmer was
    Some still live in Lower Saxony in the area north of Hanover. ( Neustadt am Rübengebirge). From unite

    Peter Christophe Voltmer would be written so Peter Christopher (Christoph, Christofer, Christof), Voltmer in German
    The attempt to write the surname as Vollmer led me into the Pfalz. Gives others a wine-growing estate Heinrich Vollmer among many in the Palz (Württemberg). Heinz or also Hans is the shortened forms of Heinrich. Both appear also as Hans Heinrich or Heinz Heinrich.
    But the name Vollmer is very far common. Without other clues it gets very hard to find the right ancestors.
    Wolf
    Hello again Wolf dear, thank you so much for kindly helping again! the first hans hienrich you mention died before our peter was concieved, but could be related due to german naming system, I forgot to say his father was heinz peter voltmer!

    Its very hard to find out much but we will look at the areas you have suggested all help is much appreciated xxx

  7. #7
    Member ajchambers8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    181
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by naomiatt View Post
    Hi - does the 1911 census provide more clues for you with regards to Peter?
    That shows his birth year as 1858 and living in St George in the East.
    There is also a Katrine F Voltmer aged 20, living in Sevenoaks, Kent...one of his children?
    Hi Naomiatt,
    Yes we have the 1911 census, which is helpful even though the birth year is slightly out we know he was living back in st george in the east then...Indeed that is one of his girls in Kent, though they generally come up as voltner after they go into the childrens home which was when the the 'm' got changed to 'n' in error, I dont think they ever knew their name spelt with the 'm' in it!

    We would love to know what happened in his life between 1911 and the year he died, 1932 and wonder what other documants we can find to help us discover more.
    Thank you for looking at this and being kind enough to help xxx

  8. #8
    I've only just returned home and seen your reply here is the link.


    Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk
    Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 09-12-09 at 15:22.
    GWEN

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lower Saxony in Germany
    Posts
    78
    Myby is info helpfull Albertina VOLTMER * 1851
    RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: SCHEELE FAMILY, ORIGIN - FUHRBERG, HANOVER
    Wolf

  10. #10
    Do you think Peter might have used an alias within those missing years?
    Although he's recorded it correctly in 1911. There was a fair bit of anti German sentiment (all faiths) going on....

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •