kuhnle khunle Voltmer, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
    Yes, it's a great site...be interesting to see what you and your partner can find with all of these sites...you'll have a busy weekend! :xmas_biggrin:
    yes we'll go through them one by one, one thing we dont do is rush it as thats a fast track to rushing past what you want to know! I spend weeks searching censes manually entry by entry usually til my head hurts!...my partner if he starts looking at the censes like that he ends up reading all the occupations of all the people and takes half hour over a single page hehe... we do get ourselfs involved !

I love the history of it all and the stories that emerge and when I give out info on these pages I am always guilty of including background stories i dont suppose are neccisarry, I have to remember not every one is like me hehe (just as well)

What part of east london do some of your folks come from?

Comment

Hi - Mile End, Stepney, Whitechapel......very traditional!

Comment

Hi - Mile End, Stepney, Whitechapel......very traditional!
        ah very close to mine, who all ended up converging in Hackney!....
        My von schillers, who have their own thread on here , wilds and tenners all came through shorditch some time, my tenners were married st marys whitechapel 1873...only the tower exists now. Are you a londoner yourself? true to form I grew up lower clapton, but mostly in homerton hackney, totally oblivious to the heritage that had resided in the streets all around me until long after I left!

Comment

Hi - near you! Lived all over, but including Stamford Hill! Used to go to Ridley Rd markets and to The Lane on a Sunday a.m! Know what you mean, I lived in Twicks and Richmond, so close to Kew...if only I'd looked in to it all then! My various families lived in
          Victoria Park, Hackney and Clapton as well and gradually moved out of the area...or passed away there. We're lucky really to have so many sites about the East End area.

Comment

Hi - near you! Lived all over, but including Stamford Hill! Used to go to Ridley Rd markets and to The Lane on a Sunday a.m! Know what you mean, I lived in Twicks and Richmond, so close to Kew...if only I'd looked in to it all then! My various families lived in
            Victoria Park, Hackney and Clapton as well and gradually moved out of the area...or passed away there. We're lucky really to have so many sites about the East End area.
            Haha i belonged to a YTS scheme (remember those) at 1 stamford hill... right next door to abney park cemetery ( I did photography and hung out a lot in that cememery) I am very fond of that place... I used to work in Ridley rd market (call it the costermonger in me) i still go down the lane and kingsland rd waste market!

Round victoria park was where some of mine settled , anis rd and dagmar rd (which is now danesdale rd) ....small small world ... I live in Islington now where co'incidently other branches of mine settled .... I always seem to be following them even when I dont mean to!

we are lucky that we are living in an age where it has been made simpler (as much as we may moan!) to find out about the past, especially that specific to us as individuals... and fascinating it is too
            Angela

Comment

Funnily enough, I went to Sir Thomas Abney primary school - you just reminded me when you mentioned Abney Pk cemetery!! These are my search names if you ever come across them....
              BRESNARK,CHERNOSKY,CHORGAN,
              DAVIDOVITCH,DOMANIS,GOLDWITZ,GREENBERG,
              HARYUDAH,HIATT,HUNT,LEBIS,OGIN,ORGIN,
              POLIAKOFF,RABIN,RABINOVITCH,RANDALL,
              RESNICK,RUBINSTEIN,TISMAN,TISHMAN,WILSON,WOLFSON

For Victoria Park, I have Victoria Park Road and Wetherill Street.
              Last edited by naomiatt; 10-12-09, 00:10.

Comment

Funnily enough, I went to Sir Thomas Abney primary school - you just reminded me when you mentioned Abney Pk cemetery!! These are my search names if you ever come across them....
                BRESNARK,CHERNOSKY,CHORGAN,
                DAVIDOVITCH,DOMANIS,GOLDWITZ,GREENBERG,
                HARYUDAH,HIATT,HUNT,LEBIS,OGIN,ORGIN,
                POLIAKOFF,RABIN,RABINOVITCH,RANDALL,
                RESNICK,RUBINSTEIN,TISMAN,TISHMAN,WILSON,WOLFSON

For Victoria Park, I have Victoria Park Road and Wetherill Street.
                again small world anais rd and dagmar rd (now danesdale rd) are turnings off victoria park rd and are both sandwiched between victoria park rd and cassland rd! ...ironically in the late 1980's I worked in the dagmar arms which was on the corner of danesdale rd, which of course was Dagmar rd originally and was the rd lots of my german family lived in in 1881 ...at the time I never knew, the dagmar arms is now a groccers, but to think I worked in there and 100 years earlier its almost a certainty that my great great grandparents would have gone in there for a drop of gin or ale!

I shall certainly keep my eye out for those names... I most certainly have this tread marked!

Comment

Hi - There is an Anna Maria who married in 1871, Whitechapel - could she be related to Peter?
                  Marriages Jun 1871
                  Clavin James Whitechapel 1c 859
                  SULLIVAN Bridget Whitechapel 1c 859
                  TORNOW Paul Whitechapel 1c 859
                  VOLTMER Anna Maria Whitechapel 1c 859
                  It also looks like Peter and Regina lost a child in 1891 - Hans Peter born 1890, St Geo East..
                  were the two daughters Katharina F and Luise?
                  A Margaret was born 1894 in Wandsworth and an Emily born 1896, Stepney and died the following year in St.Geo East.
                  Conrad F Voltmer married in Holborn, 1911..could he be a relation of Peter?

Comment

Hi there Naomi!... long time no sleep hehe!

We have all the Voltmer children, Hans Peter was thier only boy and Emily their last child died not terribly long before regina, she couldnt feed properly and was very weak and basically died of malnutrition, though it wasnt really reginas fault, she probably had started getting sick by then, hence the move back to her sisters! we also know about the twins from Reginas first short lived marriage who died soon after birth... as for the three who survived, we know all about them, my partner knew them all very well! ... between 1885/6 and 1911 we have a pretty good idea what was going on...(apart from who paid the girls fees!...and the name of the pub he worked on as victualler, as he was listed on emilys birth and death certs)

...what we really want to try and find out regarding Peter, is about Peters life prior to coming to England, when he came here and what happened between the 1911 censes and when he died in in 1932!...the middle we know, but either end are the gaps we'd love to fill in!

I havent been able to find Ann marie Voltmer anywhere other than the entry you mention, so shes been hard to associate with peter....as are the others really, that hard thing is to establish a link other than sharing a rare surname...believe me, we have tried , but never get far past 'could be' and 'might be'....hehe as ever Naomi, always glad of the help.

Comment

Update

Just to update... I have actually found Reginas burial now and her mothers, and two children who died in infancy, all in bow/ tower hamlets cemetery in paupers graves, doubt we'll ever find exact spots but we are in contact with the 'friends of' ...its great to know where they are...

We are still trying to find out more about Peters origins as have still not got any further with his early life. xxx

Comment

Hi again - good to see you've find more stuff. What was the address in 1911 for Peter?
                        Have you re-looked in the London Gazette and the UK Archives?

Comment

Working...
                        X