Questions on LMA on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on LMA on Ancestry

I have never bothered looking at the LMA, as I have no London ancestors that I am aware of. But my gt.gt.gm's sister may be on the England & Wales Marriage Index:
    Name: Lucie Eichborn
    Marriage: Jun 1897 - Islington, Greater London, London, Middlesex

It is an unusual name, and my Lucie Johanna Hedwig Eichborn was born March 1860, so the date fits. (However, she was born in Berlin, and, although I know very little about the siblings, I wasn't aware of any other strands of that family coming to the UK).

When I search on "London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921", no Eichborns show up.

When I click on another name (any name) which does come up, I don't have access to the images. I have the Australian UK Heritage package, from the offer at the start of this year.

1. Is the "London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921" complete ?

2. Should the UK Heritage package give access to the LMA, and, if not, which of the Essentials, Premium and Worldwide memberships do ?
    Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham
    Warwickshire name: Hart
    German names: Peltz, Eichborn

Hi Chris - sorry. can't help with your query, but have you noticed this on FreeBMD -
    there is also a Lucie Grunewald....
    Marriages Jun 1897
    Burchell Ada Ellen Islington 1b 759
    Cavaret John Islington 1b 759
    Eichborn Lucie Islington 1b 759
    Greb Christian Islington 1b 759
    Grunewald Lucie Islington 1b 759

Comment

Originally posted by Chr1s View Post
      1. Is the "London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921" complete ?

2. Should the UK Heritage package give access to the LMA, and, if not, which of the Essentials, Premium and Worldwide memberships do ?
      not all parishes are included, some London parishes records are held at Westminster archives not the LMA, it's the Premium sub which gives LMA access.

I've double checked & can confirm the LMA has no marriagefor Lucie (though Pallots has a marriage for a Jno Eichborn to Ann Hageman 1817 St Paul)

Comment

The only entry for Lucie Eichborn that comes up on Ancestry is the FreeBMD entry that Naomiatt listed above. The marriage does not come up on the LMA records, so either it was a registry office wedding or the church is not included in the LMA records (non-conformist, perhaps?).

Interesting that there are five names on the page, according to freeBMD (would normally expect four), and two of them have the unusual first name spelling of "Lucie". That suggests to me that Lucie Eindborn and Lucie Grunewald may be the same person ("aka" maybe?). Linking the German-sounding names on the page I would guess that Lucie Eichborn/Grunewald married Christian Greb, whilst John Cavaret married Ada Burchell. That is just a guess, though! Haven't found either couple on later census to confirm this.

Comment

Yes - John Cavarett married Ada Ellen Burchell 11-4-1897 at Islington Registry Office (info from his WW1 service records, which are on Ancestry). That is why these two marriages are not on the LMA records, as they don't hold the registry office marriages. So the only way you can get the info (i.e. Lucie's father's name) is to purchase the cert, I'm afraid.
          Last edited by Richard in Perth; 08-12-09, 07:46.

Comment

Thank you all.

It is quite likely that 'our' Lucie would not be marrying for the first time at the age of 37, so, if this is her, she may well have a maiden name and a name from a previous marriage. It also seems likely to have been a registry office marriage, if it was a second marriage with all/most of her family in Germany.
            My grandmother wrote, of Lucie's mother:"According to legend she was a selfish type and wanted all her daughters to be married (early)". My gt.gt.gm, Lucie's sister, was married at 16 and had her two sons when she was 17 and 19.

It is unlikely that the Jno Eichborn, marrying in 1817, is related. As far as I can tell, the first of my ancestors to 'use' the name Eichborn was my gtx5.gf, Wolff Isaak Eichborn, born 1792. He was Jewish, and his father was just Isaak Eisigs ben Wolf (i.e son of Wolf) because they didn't have family names then.

As you say, it appears that I need the certificate to find out any more.
            Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham

Comment

Hi - you've probably seen these - there are two Eichborn births in Wandsworth -
              Births Sep 1871
              Eichborn Elizabeth Wandsworth 1d 102
              Births Sep 1895
              Eichborn Lydia Wandsworth 1d 764
              and one in Chorlton
              Births Sep 1906
              Eichborn John Chorlton 8c 888
              I'm not sure if you've ever looked at JGen...I know it's difficult with your
              gtx5.gf, - but the Wolf name should repeat through the family, and probably Isaak....
              it would be worth looking at GermanSIG GerSIG: German Jewish Special Interest Group They have a forum you can post to as well...
              if you've done this already...ignore me! ;-)
              There was also a town called Eichborn - near Brunn in the Empire of Austria. 1899.
              This is old, but it's in the UK Archives -
              "Letter to John Spencer Stanhope at Messrs. Eichborne & Co., Breslaw, Germany"
              The National Archives | Access to Archives and in the Jewish Chronicle there are a few mentions of the name, a Rabbi D*v*d M Eichborn in 1954, Privy Councillor Eichborn in1860 and some mentions from the 1840's. I don't subscribe to read the full text.

Comment

Thank you Naomi,

Initially (and for a few different reasons) I was sure that our Eichborns were related to the von Eichborns of the bank 'Eichborn & Co', and I have been in contact with their descendants, but I am now confident that they are not related. The bank was started in the first half of the 18th century, before my ancestors used the name Eichborn.

The link may be useful, because Isaak Eisigs ben Wolf was Shtadlan for the city of Posen from 1783 to 1828, so he should feature in any local Jewish history which has survived. I only found out about this Jewish ancestry last month, because my gtx4.gf became a Christian and was christened in 1852 and no word of Jewish ancestry has been passed down. {More about that in the May issue of the FTF Magazine}.

I'm not sure how far to go with the other (UK) Eichborn births. There are many Eichborns (look at familysearch) and very few can be related to ours.
                Last edited by Chr1s; 09-12-09, 00:54. Reason: spelling correction !

Comment

Hi - you might find some further info in here;
                  Posen Resources for Jewish Genealogy
                  I'd definitely post to the German SIG...they are usually very helpful..Isaak held a major role, so hopefully you'll be able to find out more. It's free to register with JGen....
                  Yes, it's hard to pinpoint who you are related to...although not many are in the UK.
                  I wonder if Isaak 'purchased' the Eichborn name or it was simply given to him by the authorities?
                  Last edited by naomiatt; 08-12-09, 23:27.

Comment

Working...
                  X