No announcement yet.

Emily Matilda Ferry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yes, that isnt fitting too well either!....Im trying to check all the info your giving me before you go off line ad I dont find you again!

I have an even trickier line I am following, also a bit of a mystery, let me know if you have time to check it for me, I will post out in forum if not, in its own thread!

Comment

Don't worry Angela - I'm usually around somewhere - in fact there is always someone on here that will help.
      If you've got another brickwall for a different family then post it on a new thread - and we'll see what we can do for you!

Back to the Ferry family.
      You said that the father William was recorded as deceased on the marriage certificate.
      To me I would be thinking of two things.
      It's possible that the widow has remarried and Emma/Emily is listed under stepfather's surname.
      The other possibility is that it is a 'made up' father - possibly to hide illegitimacy.

I would go with the first one to start with and see if you can find a possible marriage of a Ferry female (Emily's mother) in the Hackney area between 1837 and 1851. There are some on freeBMD - you will need to see if you can pair off the couples that are listed by checking the 1841/1851 censuses. It's not always easy to do but worth a try.

Of course it would also be worthwhile checking the parish registers for Hackney to see if you can find a baptism for Emily/Emma - which should confirm parent's names.
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine youve been no end of help! ...very useful suggestions too...I go over and over my info all the time as new documents become available... my mum and her cousin will be delighted to hear that the death years are now known and I can now try and find their burial sites!

I am still wondering if I will ever find that Romany link!

I shall write up my other, perhaps even more challenging problem in another thread, if you get a chance look at von Schiller when I post it.

Thanks again Elaine and Guy xxxx

Comment

Just found this baptism.

- Ancestry.co.uk

The father is listed as Paper Stainer. I wonder if she's a sister?

The couple also baptised a son John, father was a Porter then though.

- Ancestry.co.uk
          Hail Spode!

Comment

Originally posted by guybrush View Post
            Just found this baptism.

- Ancestry.co.uk

The father is listed as Paper Stainer. I wonder if she's a sister?

The couple also baptised a son John, father was a Porter then though.

- Ancestry.co.uk
            Thats really exciting, I think the area would be totally right too...

I have just looked at the 1911 census...I can not believe it!.... William and Louisa jane lived at 14 Oriel rd.... the peny just dropped that censuses were done as households, because I found Emma/emily ALSO at 14 Oriel rd, obviously classed as another household, as a widow with son George!!.....I am completely amazed!

Comment

Now despite the marriage being in 1863, I have the baptism for eldest child sara... so Emily was using the name Greenwood prior to the marriage!
              Name: Sarah Ann Greenwood
              Record Type: Baptism
              Date: 10 Jul 1859
              Father's Name: Samuel Greenwood
              Mother's Name: Emily Greenwood
              Parish: Saint Matthias, Bethnal Green
              Borough: Tower Hamlets
              County: Middlesex

Comment

What about this 1841 census - William and Harriet Feary, with daughter Emily born 1840

HO107; Piece 708; Book: 1; Civil Parish: St Leonard Shoreditch; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 27; Page: 16; Line: 6;

- Ancestry.co.uk
                Elaine

Comment

..and the same family in 1851

HO107; Piece: 1537; Folio: 42; Page: 5;
                  - Ancestry.co.uk
                  Elaine

Comment

A possible death for William

William Feary
                    1862 Apr-May-Jun
                    Lambeth - volume 1d, page 225
                    Elaine

Comment

There seems to be another William Feary in the Shoreditch area on the 1861 census so that death could be for him.
                      - Ancestry.co.uk
                      Elaine

Comment

wow you've really been looking hard guys...I hope I can verify some of this as it would be wonderful... also the name feary is ifact a romany name so it could be that they may have started out like this!

Comment

One other thing of note with Emily Matilda Ferry, is that she (and samuel greenwood) could not write and both made thier mark on the marriage banns... the sound feary and ferry sound very similar. Both were living at the same address 55 Holywell lane, parish of shorditch at the time.

The witnesses sarah and henry Gordon also could not write , so there would have been noone to correct any errors.
                          Again thank you to all who have helped so far, very much appreciated you've given me new hope!

Comment

A couple of general points...

You'll find that Emma and Emily are often interchangeable (similarly Edwin/Edward).

If you both live in the same parish as where the marriage is to take place (whether or not that's actually true!), you only have to pay for one lot of Banns to be called.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes thats right Christine, edward/edmund/edmond/edwin are all a pain to deal with too! as William Thomas Wild's father comes up as the first three out of those on a few occassions....I can see how emily and emma would be as interchangable as she was no doubt refferd to as 'Em' most of the time!

Emily and Samuel were already living as man and wife by the birth of their first child about 3-4 years before getting married and Emily was going by the surname Greenwood at that point!...therefore 1861 census she was coming up as Greenwood!.....phew!

Comment

Working...
                              X