Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what a Guilder or Thaler was worth ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what a Guilder or Thaler was worth ...

in the 19th century ? Or the approximate average wage (in Guilder/Thaler) in 1828 and 1869 ?

I know that 1 Thaler coin was about 1.75 Guilder, by silver weight.

I have found out my gtx5 gf's weekly wage in 1828, in Poland, and I know how much my gtx3 gf paid for some land in 1869, but I want to relate that back to modern money.

Any thoughts on how I can estimate value in modern money, or any links to useful sites ?
    Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham
    Warwickshire name: Hart
    German names: Peltz, Eichborn

Nudge.

Comment

Hi - wonder if this site could be useful - seem to have a coin forum so might know more about values at the time. The Thaler Crown - Background - Coin Community Forum
      There might be something in here as well Gold and Silver Standards
      - gold standards and currency exchange values, 1815-1914

Comment

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/General_History#Current_Value_of_Old_Money

This link from our General History page in the wiki might be useful. It has links to lots of other pages.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks. Your replies pointed me to the site Value of the guilder / euro which gives me a rough idea.
          Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham
          Warwickshire name: Hart
          German names: Peltz, Eichborn

Comment

Working...
          X