Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intro and an ongoing mystery

I've had another think about these certs and realised something VERY odd is going on here, lol!

I think what you have posted as the "first" birth cert is actually the second. You have cropped the bottom, so I can't judge what day the cert was actually written out.

You should not have been able to get a copy of this cert, as the reregistration in 1928 replaces both previous certs, which should have been suppressed by the GRO. The 1908 cert should have been suppressed by the 1911 one.

I did think I'd cracked it but I haven't - I thought the wording on the third cert might indicate an adoption, but it doesn't, sorry.

My suggestion - when you are in Devon, go to the Barnstaple Register Office with the certs you have and ask them if they can think of any reason why there would be three registrations. Local Registrars are human, get bored and like a mystery! With a bit of luck, they will tell you something useful (and may even look up the cause of the two reregistrations!)

Of course, it MAY just have been that Scott was a bit of a nitpicker, lol, and was the sort of person who found fault with everything and wanted it put right! However, the Registrar General is officially an implacable type and would not be moved by frivolous reasons.

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 06-10-09 at 21:42. Reason: superfluous s.

Blog Entries
    If you want to know more about Robert Falcon Scott who lived at "Outlands" Plymouth, then I suggest you also visit the Plymouth and West Devon Record Office. Plymouth jealously guards its history from Exeter so anything on RF Scott will be more likely to be in the Plymouth Archives! However, I have found more history at the Plymouth Main Library in Tavistock Road and I am sure I remember doing a project on Scott through the material in the library. The Record Office is rather small and not always good at finding the material required.

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 06-10-09 at 22:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    ...The Record Office is rather small and not always good at finding the material required.

Also, it's closed on Saturdays, and closes early (4pm) on Fridays.

On the plus side, they're very willing to take in relevant materials as loan/permanent-loan or as gift. We've put quite a bit of stuff from earlier years of OH's family there, on the grounds that they have the means of looking after it properly, and other members of the family ought to be able to get at it.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Another thought.

When people re-invent themselves, they tend to stick to what they know, just in case they are questioned. So you may find he was indeed in the Army, but not a Captain.

The disparity in his age may have had something to do with having a younger wife.

OC

Thanks again for all the tips and thoughts. We’ve started looking into the RF Scott family tree and if there is a connection it will be a fairly distant one, and one that comes from an uncle or great uncle etc. of RF Scott.

I don’t think I will have time for Plymouth on my upcoming trip, the main job is to find an obituary or grave, or both, and a date of death, hopefully with age, for AH Scott. As he was around Crediton, Sandford and later Taunton the local papers will be the place to start I guess. (So I mean need to go to Taunton at some point.) As he appears to have been ‘in’ with his local society in the 1910’s and 1920’s I’m hoping there will be some mention of him in a local paper, even if he didn’t die in that area.

Thanks again to everyone!

James,
    You can look at many local newspapers at the British Library in Colindale, London. They have loads on microfiche as well as hard copies. On maybe try Times Online Archive. Finally you can see if there is any mention of Arthur in newspapers held in the Gale collection through Lancashire libraries online membership - they allow anyone to join from anywhere in the world!
    Here's the link Lancashire library and information service
    Margaret

Thanks for that info, I will follow it up. I have found two advertisments in the Times archives; Kate Scott renting out a house in Mortehoe, I assume Culver Park Lodge, but it doesn't actually say an address. But knowing that they advertised in the Times gives me hope that they may turn up in other newspapers. Will carry on searching!
    J

James

I'm sure I don't need to tell you to be careful when assessing death information such as death certs/memorial inscriptions etc - death information is only as good as the knowledge of the informant and isn't necessarily the truth, if someone has been living a lie all of their adult life.

By odd coincidence, I picked up the newspaper yesterday and there was a review of a new book written about Scott of the Antarctic.

It is alleged that he had an affair with a wealthy married American woman (although the authors discount this). Captain Oates (I may be gone some time) also had a less than savoury past, having fathered a child on an eleven year old Scottish girl in 1900. Again this is discounted as not having been proved, but I've googled and the evidence is pretty compelling.

The point of me telling you this is to demonstrate how easily those in a privileged position could cover their mistakes and appear impeccably socially correct.

It may all be just coincidence of course, but the Scottish connection here fascinates me.

It is still in my mind that Kate Marjorie was not the child of EITHER of them and the "false registration" refers to this, although I do wonder why Kate would do this, unless it was to cover up for a close family member.

I think KM's father left his money in Trust to a distant generation in order to stop Scott getting his hands on any of it - in other words, he would be well dead when the money became available. This may also be why he did not leave his daughter any money, or he may have felt she had had enough money from him while he was alive.

OC

Quote Originally Posted by margaretmarch View Post
    James,
    ... Finally ... newspapers held in the Gale collection through Lancashire libraries online membership - they allow anyone to join from anywhere in the world!
    Here's the link Lancashire library and information service
    Margaret
    Is that really so? I'm so tempted, but I thought that it was exactly that kind of thing that got Bedfordshire(?) stamped on, before (over the TDA).

Christine

Christine - yes it was! I'm not sure how Lancshire are getting away with it!!! I used to access the 19C newspapers through Bedfordshire and they were very apologetic when they had to withdraw the service for non Bedfordshire residents. However - I can now get in through Cumbria libraries, who began their subscription at a later date (at my suggestion!).

Anne