Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I,ve gone and dun it, the b----- comp has crashed and I haven't backed up, If I pay a sub to ftm will they be able to find my lost records . Rod

Well, unless you made use of their internet backup facility or have uploaded your tree to an external site such as Ancestry, then it doesn´t sound if there is much that can be done.
    Elaine

Comment

Oh dear been there done that but thank god I did have internet backup but had done one for some time so still lost loads work ;;now back up to internet via FTM and external back up on sep hard drive ;;
      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Thats it got a gedcom to genes, put it in about 6months ago, well done Elaine, what a dum dum Holds head in shame.

Comment

Oh thank god for that well you can download that and thenopen with FTM and you can see if you have lost any stuff dear ;;in future try to back up to something I also use Tribla pages and re upload every few weeks when I have added stuff

Comment

Rod are you sure that it's not recoverable? Mine died on me once & we got the data "piggybacked" off it onto an external hardrive like Babs says or another PC.

Have you seen a computer boffin with it?

Joanie

Comment

I have recently started using MyDropBox, it does two jobs really well

1. Every time you change any files in the drop box it updates them on your free 2Gb of web storage
              2. and it keeps copies back for the last 30 days should you need them.

Just move your family history folder or database to the Dropbox folder and backups happen. Another advantage if you have a desktop and laptop is it will also keep your computers in step as well.

See My Dropbox for more information.
              Jane
              Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
              "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

I know that feeling Rod, but mine was on GR as well, although about a year out of date, it gave me about 500 of my peeps. Now I run my tree on ancestry, so hopefully won't go through that trauma again. But Back up, Back up, Back up! Do I listen.....what do you think!
                Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

It's a false economy to think that using an online tree host or backup service is the answer to data loss though. None are a match for a regular backup system done at home.

There are several areas where the online approach falls short

First off you have to rely on a chain third parties and equipment, your isp, the servers, the hosting company and the list goes on.......

To be an up to date as a backup means updating your online sources every time you add to your file, if you have several online sources than can mean multiple site updates/backups, that could mean a long process especially if you are only adding a couple of names or dates.

Why update/backup several sites individually when one weekly backup to disc is all that's needed. It's just making the task more difficult and time consuming than it needs to be

The upload/download is usually via GEDCOM files, that means no images will transfer and depending on the host site and the different GED versions they and your software can handle it's possible that some other information may not transfer or may be omitted altogether.

Backups are supposed to prevent dataloss, using a file transfer that excludes media is like sending a partial file

It takes a couple of minutes a week to save the data to disc, probably less time than it takes to add the name, dates and places for an individual into a tree programme initially so is it really worth trying to save a few minutes and a few pence per week? Backup to disc, check the data has been saved and store the discs safely to prevent damage, unless you like lots of heartache that is!!

Regardless of what software you use a quick, easy and possibly the most bullet proof backup routine can be seen at post #24 http://www.familytreeforum.com/famil...ps-guides.html
                  Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 30-09-09, 16:46.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                    It's a false economy to think that using an online tree host or backup service is the answer to data loss though. None are a match for a regular backup system done at home.
                    I would agree that the use of an online backup service, for example FTM internet backup, should not be the only method one uses - but used in conjunction with regular cd/hard drive/pen drive backups then I think they come highly recommended.
                    Elaine

Comment

I did not suggest online services as the only backup, I have 4 external hard disks which are rotated and at least 2 at any time are in my husbands office desk, so out of the building and down the road. They are my main backups (200Gb of images). The addition of an on-line storage to the mix, gives a versioning backup automatically so you can revert back with in a day, say because you realised you did something wrong.
                      Jane
                      Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                      "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

I suppose you can guess my next question. I have now got an email from genes with a gedcom in it, how do I now transfer this to my family tree maker programme, please dont cut corners as I'm a beginner as you all probably know. Rod

Comment

Sorry save where you know you will find it and then Right Click open with FTM 12006 presto

Comment

Thanks Babs, didn't realise how far behind I was with Genes Tree, looking now for about 1000 yes 1000 people.:emb:

Comment

Poor Salty! I do feel for you. Never mind - look on it as a brilliant opportunity to check and validate all those people you have to re-find. You never know what mistakes you might find.

Anne

Comment

I;ve got the branches of the tree (about 1400) its the twigs and sticks I;m short (about 1700), I've started and found others I didn't know about, a fine mess I got myself into. Rod

Comment

The story so far, I bought a laptop and loaded the family tree I had on dvd (old) on the new pc there is a notice to a button F12 boot up manager, so thought I would reassemble the old pc and try that, got it all put together and hay presto its going again without the help of F12, so quickly will recover my tree before it goes again, jammy what. :Wink: Rod

Comment

Working...
                                  X