No announcement yet.

Is there a Better "Gedcom"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry to have to say I still find it disappointing that I cannot send all my hard work with attachments (which are part of the story) to the people I want to give the information to. I remain sad that I didn't realise when I started putting stuff on Gedcom that I wouldn't be able to do this.

Perhaps I am just ignorant - I am certainly not computer literate.

Sue

Comment

What you need to remember Sue is that a GEDCOM file gives you the capability to send/copy/backup your tree using very little by way of overheads.. A GEDCOM containing 22000 individuals still comes out at less than 24MB..

Now imagine that you have photographs and attachments for each of those individuals, you are now talking within the realms of gigabytes of data, certainly not something that you could email to someone..

GEDCOM files are all about transferring data quickly whilst maintaining the integrity of that data. By increasing complexity/size you increase the chances of corruption.
      https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi Grimsqueaker

I understand what you are saying and do not wish to knock Gedcom - it is obviously a brilliant invention/asset.

Now I plan to find something on which to transfer my own tree, pictures and all, on to something for the future - I did it for a specific reason - my grandchildren and in the fullness of time, their children. I didn't do all this work for any other reason - clearly I should have done some insightful research before I started! I am glad I have at least found out.

Sue

Comment

Family Historian Features

You might find that Family Historian will help you ... you can attach pictures, documents etc. to the GEDCOM, display the tree in various ways of your choice and then give the whole thing to your family on a CD.

Assuming that the internet works in the future, you might want to consider creating your own website using a combination of a GEDCOM and TNG where you can leave the photos, documents etc. in place and update your GEDCOM without affecting the linked images. Or use a site like Tribal Pages.

Otherwise it looks like a book plus roll of wallpaper will be the way to go.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

GEDCOM fully supports attached media of all types. Family Tree Maker does not support export of media on gedcom, but Family Historian does (as it uses GEDCOM all the time) and I believe Legacy and Roots Magic also support import of GEDCOM attached media
            Jane
            Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
            "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

I was going to post but not sure how to express what Caroline and Jane have said so well in the previous two posts! I just upgraded to Family Historian 4 and am having a great time attaching media in the sure knowledge that it is in the 'project' with the GEDCOM. (Previous versions linked to media somewhere else on your computer)

Anne

Comment

Working...
              X