Blow me, FTM 2010 now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blow me, FTM 2010 now!

Ive only just got my (freebie) 2009 and along comes an email urging me to upgrade to 2010:

As a valued Family Tree Maker™ user, we want you to be among the first to enjoy the fantastic new features of Family Tree Maker™ 2010.

You can upgrade now - before the official UK release - and start using Family Tree Maker™ 2010 for just £19.99.

UPGRADE NOW BEFORE THE OFFICIAL UK RELEASE
    £19.99
    Inc. 1 month Ancestry.co.uk access, worth £10.95*

Buy now
    Why upgrade now? Hurry offer ends midnight,
    30 September 2009.

Family Tree Maker™ is the UK's leading family tree software. It's simply the best way to unravel, discover and explore your family's history - and analyse it with an unparalleled richness of detail.

Everyone using older versions will see some wonderful new features and enhancements. Even if you have Family Tree Maker™ 2009, or another recent version, you'll really appreciate the latest updates.

* Tell a fuller, richer story with new tools and charts
    * Enjoy better performance, faster loading and navigation
    * Publish beautiful family books made from your tree
    * Quickly find precisely the right information using standard source templates
    * Easily organise photos and other media and add scanned images directly into your tree
    * View your relationship to everyone in your tree with the 'New Person View' feature
    * Simple, powerful integration with Ancestry.co.uk™ resources

Heather, I saw that earlier when I was looking at FTM site. I'm still using the 2006 version. A friend is just starting to do her family tree and I don't know if she'd do better with a new version of FTM or an older, cheaper version....what would you advise?
    Heather

Comment

I had that email and was wondering if its worth getting as there were problems with 2009werent there ?
      You can add the month free on to the end of your current subscription too

Comment

There have been no real problems with 2009 - a few facilities were missing which they have added on with free upgrades.
        2008 version was the problem one!
        Elaine

Comment

I had that email from Ancestry but have never had FTM at all as I am more than happy with Family Historian, so don't know why I'm a "valued Family Tree Maker user". Guess they sent it to all Ancestry subscribers regardless?
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

There are three reasons for software manufacturers to produce upgrades, to fix problems, to add bells and whistles [which may or not be useful], and to make money. In many cases I suspect the main reason is the last one. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Comment

The biggest improvement is that the file handling is different consequently smaller file sizes.

Other New Features in Family Tree Maker 2010

1. Ancestry Member Tree download
              2. Web Dashboard
              3. Improved performance across the board
              4. More robust and accurate relationship calculator
              5. Enhanced Family View
               Pictures in pedigree nodes
               Year life spans in pedigree nodes
               Easy access to relationship notes & media
              6. Slide Show
              7. Short place names
              8. Record/customize place GPS/Lat-Long coordinates
              9. Timeline report
              10. Improved Family Group Sheet
              11. Improved Genealogy reports
              12. Improved Kinship report
              13. Sources in charts
              14. Global Spell Check
              15. Dozens of smaller enhancements

Comment

Do you have it Malcolm? If so what's your personal opinion - are the differences worth upgrading for?
                Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, Sorry for the delay in answering I have been out for most of the day.

Yes I’ve had FTM-2010 for about 3 weeks now.

The files are smaller, in FTM-2010 I have a file size of 848KB the same file in FTM-2009 was 1025KB (with no changes to the file). So it’s about an 18% reduction in file size.

With regard to the other changes to be honest I have not used all of the new features that have been added to Version 2010. Many of the features from Version 2009 have been improved.

All in all I would say yes it was worth getting.

Comment

Malc, sorry my bro is called Malc so its second nature!! :D

did you use any other versions of FTM? prior to 2009????

I have 2005 & 2009 but tbh I cannot get on with 2009 AT ALL :(
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

That’s OK Julie most of my friends call me Malc amongst other things.:D

I’ve had most of the FTM programs I really liked 2006 but went ahead and purchased 2008 and hated it as did a lot of FTM users.

Ancestry sent me 2009 for free because I was a registered user of 2008 and then they came out with an upgrade to 2010 for 50%.

It took me a while to get comfortable with 2009 and 2010 has the same layout so there’s no new learning curve.

I have the US version and I’m not sure what the difference is between the US and UK versions if any but all in all I think 2010 is a better program.

Malc

Comment

Thanks Malcolm.

I have used FTM from a very early version, I think I started with version 4, and seem to be stuck at version 2006 at the moment, at least for my tree.

I bought 2008 which was such a backward step from 2006 that I didn't use it. I then bought 2009 and have played with it when doing things for other people - am getting more used to it now. I really feel I should be moving with the times and moving my own tree over to it but when I imported it a while back I could see that the Facts field treated the data differently and I would need to go through virtually everyone in my tree and make some sort of amendment!

Two main differences still remain - no webpage facility and no internet backup. I can live without the first but I do find the internet backup very useful.

I will probably fork out the money for the new version. Haven't received an email from Ancestry but I see 2010 is on offer from a UK supplier for £19.99 including a one month Ancestry access. Whether I will use it for my tree remains to be seen!
                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                        X