No announcement yet.

Bedford RO Lookups-Ongoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, when my 4xg-gf was sentenced to death (later commuted to life transportation) for highway robbery he & his accomplices were identified by two witnesses by their clothing. However only my ancestor was committed to trial as it was too dark for the victim to see the features of his attackers but he recognised my ancestor's peculiar voice such as he had never heard before, even though he only said 'Ah, master'. There was no doubt he was guilty though as the constable found him in the Rose & Crown Hitchin spending a £10 note - an ag lab in 1832? not exactly the sharpest knife in the block. I must take after the other side of the family.
    Glen

Comment

I will be going to the RO next week Wed 21 st Oct, and have some to look up allready anyone else needing info please post or PM me .

Regards
      Peter

Comment

With reference to Val and George and the trial search they asked me to do .
        Thomas Semains accomplice Hannah Hyde was sent to VDL via the ship Sir Robert Seppings on 17 th March 1852.

As the judge had recomended they be sent to different colonies to avoid them conspiring and as we know he was known under an alias as was she it may be harder to trace them .

How ever i cant find his transportation details yet.

Peter

Comment

Hi

Its been a while since the last post but if you are going to be making a visit to the RO again could you please look up a possible birth for me.

I have found a Thomas Neather that could be my grans great grandfather having had a look at a the 1881 census it says he was born in Bedford Gloucestershire but im guessing this is a transcription error as im not aware of anywhere in Glos being called Bedford the nearest spelling in Glos is a place called Beckford. All I have is that he was born around 1795 before marrying in Gloucestershire in the 1820's. Ancestry tree matches have a possible mother of Lucy Slater and father Richard Neather again possibly Bedford people.

Thanks
          Last edited by Brian78; 07-12-09, 22:59.

Comment

Yes Brian,

I will take a look next visit which maybe Friday or Monday next week.

Going today 16 TH Dec

Peter
            Last edited by Peter Stenning; 16-12-09, 07:35. Reason: added date of visit

Comment

Brian78,
              There is no birth in the Bedford area for Thomas Neather.

However further research lead me to beleive he was born in Gloucestershire.

On IGI it has shown the Marraige of ;-
              Richard Nether to
              Lucy Slatter
              At Winchcomb Glos. 22nd June 1794.
              Note that both are different spellings which maybe why they are not easy to find.

So i can confirm that there is no connection to Bedford.

Hope this helps
              Peter
              :xmas_sign:

Comment

Thank you for looking Peter. I will be going to my local record office in the next week or so. I can now go armed with a little more info, maybe it is Beckford after all as thats not too far from Winchcombe.

Richard and Lucy are the furthest anyone in my family have ever got before so now I might be able to go further than anyone before and unlock more ancestors.

Comment

Hi Peter,

It's been a while so I don't know if you are still going to BLARS but if you are, would you look at some marriages for me please. I'm interested in fathers' names.

These are at Luton St Mary:
                  Charles MADDOCK Hannah SNOXALL 27/11/1865
                  James MADDOCK Mary Ann ODELL 6/11/1843
                  James LAWRENCE Anne MADDOCK 27/1/1845
                  William ROE Elizabeth MADDOCK 7/6/1852

At Barton Le Clay
                  William BUTCHER Sarah MADDOCK 5/11/1853
                  Also would you check if the groom was a widower in this one please: William MADDOCK Mary PRUDDEN 9/10/1830 Again at Barton.

Or as many as you have time for. TIA,
                  Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                    Hi Peter,

It's been a while so I don't know if you are still going to BLARS but if you are, would you look at some marriages for me please. I'm interested in fathers' names.

These are at Luton St Mary:
                    Charles MADDOCK Hannah SNOXALL 27/11/1865
                    James MADDOCK Mary Ann ODELL 6/11/1843
                    James LAWRENCE Anne MADDOCK 27/1/1845
                    William ROE Elizabeth MADDOCK 7/6/1852

At Barton Le Clay
                    William BUTCHER Sarah MADDOCK 5/11/1853
                    Also would you check if the groom was a widower in this one please: William MADDOCK Mary PRUDDEN 9/10/1830 Again at Barton.

Or as many as you have time for. TIA,
                    Hi Glen ,
                    Yes i will do that next week for you .

Peter

Comment

Thanks Peter.
                      Glen

Comment

Hi Peter
                        Are you still visiting the Bedford record offoc. I need info about biggleswade ancestors
                        Regards Pat

Comment

yes i am going this morning , if i miss you today i will probably go next week as well .

Peter

Comment

Hi Glen,

27/11/1865

Charles Maddock Bachelor, Labourer
                            Father-John Maddock,Lab
                            Hannah Snoxall Spinster
                            Father - William Snoxall
                            Witnesses
                            Gerorge Eyles
                            Sarah(Unreadable)

6/11/1843

James Maddock 19,Bachelor.Lab.
                            Father- William Maddock,Lab
                            Mary Ann Odell,20 Spinster
                            Father- Thomas Odell, Lab.
                            Witnesses
                            John Eyles
                            Hannah Wright

27/1/1845

James Lawrence,22,Bachelor Labourer
                            Father-Thomas Lawrence Lab.
                            Ann Maddock,21, Spinster,[ NOTE IS SAYS ANN]
                            Father- William Maddock,Lab

Witnesses
                            John Eyles
                            Mary Ann Maddock

7/6/1852

William Roe,41,Widower,Shoemaker
                            Father-John Roe,Shoemaker
                            Elizabeth Maddock,31,Spinster
                            Father-John Maddock

Witnesses
                            John [Ineligable]
                            Emma Bellingham

5/11/1858
                            William Butcher, Full Age,Bachelor
                            Father-John Butcher,Lab,
                            Sarah Maddock,Full Age,Spinster
                            Father- William Maddock

Witnesses
                            Richard Ward
                            Susan Maddock

9/10/1830
                            This record gives very little as its before 1837, but i can say the two witnesses were-

Samuel Ward
                            Elizabeth Prudden

Hope this is of some use to you .

Regards
                            Peter

Comment

That's absolutely brilliant Peter. Thanks very much indeed. I don't suppose for the last one you noticed if William was a batchelor or widower did you?

Thanks again. Your findings have confirmed some of my suppositions. Remember, I'm here if you ever need any Bucks or Suffolk lookups.
                              Glen

Comment

Hi Glen,

The last one i ran out of time to delve further and the image was so poor it was hard to read any of it . However i hope to return next week and will certainly take a longer delve for you .

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter
                                  This new to me, what shall I do now ? do I. give you what info I have already. I'm still finding my way round the sight.
                                  Regards Pat

Comment

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your efforts so far; I know the early entries don't always show the status but I'm trying to determine if the William mentioned is the same man in each case. This is only even a possibility of course if he is a widower when he marries in 1830.
                                    Glen

Comment

Originally posted by pat atkin View Post
                                      Hi Peter
                                      This new to me, what shall I do now ? do I. give you what info I have already. I'm still finding my way round the sight.
                                      Regards Pat
                                      Hi Pat ,
                                      Yes i will need to know what info you are after ie. name of person whether you require marriage/birth/baptism/burial where these may have taken place, dates, etc

I can also see if there are any wills listed , newpaper articles , say court cases or well known local incidents.

Anything the local records office may have, just provide me with some details of what you know .

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter
                                        Info that I have Henry Huckle b. abt 1819 Married Ann Knight b. abt 1821 at Biggleswade Church on the 17 November 1839 after Banns. According to the census both born at Biggleswade.
                                        1841 census states they are living at Biggleswade with a Charles Huckle Father of Henry. Also on that census there is one child Betsy. I haven't found Betsy again with her family that moved to Enfield by 1861. (cant find them on the 1851 census) Betsy was baptised on the 7 June 1840 Mother and father Henry H. and Ann Knight.
                                        I wonder if the Banns contain any more info on the parents of Ann and Henry. If church records say when Betsty was born and if she died an early age.?
                                        Also any info on Ann Knights parents and sibblings, and Henrys parents. Any thing that you find I will be most grateful. Regards Pat

Comment

Hi Peter,

Could you do me a look-up next time you go? No rush at all.

I'd like confirmation of the following baptism, found on the IGI, and any additional info there might be on the register:

Puddington (Podington) Parish Chuch

BERNARDUS COTTON, son of Samuel and Eleanor
                                          8 AUG 1665

I realise the registers may not be easy to read at that early date, so if it's too difficult to decipher, don't worry about it.

Thanks,
                                          Mary
                                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-06-10, 22:16.

Comment

Working...
                                          X