MERRALL Family Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MERRALL Family Bible

Does anyone have a Pauline Merrall in their tree? I have her bible, presented to her by her father on her first birthday about 70 years ago and would be pleased to restore it to her or the family.
    Len of the Chilterns passed away July 2021

That would be absolutely marvelous for someone to have Len, I hope you get a response.

Comment

Hiya Len...there`s only one Pauline Merrall on gr b 1938 London...only one contact for her.named Mark
      ..so this woman could well be alive..
      .should we be posting her name ?..
      .if not would a moderator please delete.....allan
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

if it was my bible i would not be bothered about my name being posted,brenda xxxx

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
          Hiya Len...there`s only one Pauline Merrall on gr b 1938 London...only one contact for her.named Mark
          ..so this woman could well be alive..
          .should we be posting her name ?..
          .if not would a moderator please delete.....allan

Thanks. I will have a look at GR

Comment

Originally posted by Len of the Chilterns View Post
            Thanks. I will have a look at GR
            I duly looked and found that Mark did have Pauline (Nee)Merrall in his tree - his mother. I could not message him so resorted to 192.com and found Pauline, still living with her husband,(different name obviously) not too far away. They are ex-directory so could not 'phone so visited them. Two flabbergasted, delighted and emotional people so grateful for the return of her bible. They offered to pay me but, I pointed out, had it been a library book I would owe them a small fortune in fines for the last 20-30 years.

She said she was aware that she had lost it, many years ago but had no idea how or when but thought she may have pur it down in a public place and forgotten it.

Comment

Len, that is brilliant.

Well done you! :D
              Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

You are a real hero Len, well done.

Comment

I do hope that you'll not going to be relying on the Royal Mail to deliver it safely...

Comment

What a wonderful happy ending Len, well done

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                      I do hope that you'll not going to be relying on the Royal Mail to deliver it safely...
                      When I called naturally I had it with me and handed it over when they said they really wanted it back. Had they not been bothered, I would have hung on to it.

I forgot to mention how it came into my possession. When my daughter was small, she loved books. Even as a toddler, before she could read, she would wander about the house with one of our books under her arm or would sit and pretend she was reading. As a schoolgirl, she took to visiting secondhand bookshops and spending her pocket money on old books - the older the better. Sometime, maybe 25 - 30 years ago, she bought the bible, probably for pence. Most likely it was from a shop in Oxford. When she flew the nest her bookcase and most of her books went with her and she said to dispose of the ones left behind but the bible got onto my bookshelves. It was only a couple of weeks ago that it occurred to me to try and trace the original owner and what motivated me was the inscription "To my darling daughter on her first birthday - Daddy", Also, in a very childish hand was "Pauline Merrall".

Comment

That's a wonderful story Len

Comment

Well done Len

I have a bible given to me by my grandmother when I was 8 and I have a Book of Common Prayer which I found when helping to sort out her house after she had died. I would hate to lose them.
                          researching
                          Lingham (Sussex/Kent)
                          Hayes (Kent)
                          Gudgeon (Lancashire)

Comment

Originally posted by yvonneinherts View Post
                            Well done Len

I have a bible given to me by my grandmother when I was 8 and I have a Book of Common Prayer which I found when helping to sort out her house after she had died. I would hate to lose them.
                            I have several bibles - different versions - and commentaries. They come in handy for various purposes. One very hefty one I use for pressing flowers.

Comment

Originally posted by Len of the Chilterns View Post
                              I have several bibles - different versions - and commentaries. They come in handy for various purposes.

One very hefty one I use for pressing flowers.
                              Dare I say it Len-----------I can think of no better use for a bible!;):D
                              Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Len that is a great story.

I can imagine the woman's face when you knocked on her door.

Well done.
                                Kit

Comment

Working...
                                X