Editing videos and moving pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing videos and moving pictures!

We have successfully had someone copy old video footage onto DVDs for us. The pictures are fine and can be viewed on the TV or computer and saved to the computer.

What we would like to do is 'edit' the clips to cut out the rubbish between them. Typically each piece lasts about 2 or 3 minutes and is bits of local news programmes featuring a project of ours. Naturally when they were recorded there are other bits not needed between the clips.

Can anyone suggest what we need to do to:
    1. Cut out the rubbish bits
    2. Put a marker on the DVD so we can find each clip easily.

Anne

If it has been completely converted to DVD format (Vob files), that will be extremely difficult.
    If they are just .avi files, you can easily open them in Windows Movie maker and create clips.

Trev

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Oh dear! I'll get OH to look into that. Thanks Trevor.

Anne

Comment

The easiest way is not to use a computer but use DVD player if it's got a built in hard drive, record the DVD onto the hard drive and you can edit it back onto another DVD using that machine instead of a PC.
        Best Wishes
        Ron
        www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Oh, thanks - that might be worth a try.

I guess we're just being picky! We can see the pieces we want to perfectly. Its just that it would be 'neater' to cut the inbetween bits.

Anne

Comment

Hello Anne,
            I noticed your question last night and thought you might like the following info:

I had a similar problem when I had all my family holiday videos transferred to DVDs. Although it was all there, I wanted to split up the sections and insert info about dates and locations. Also my own and my son's weddings were on the same DVD and needed to be separated.

I had recently compiled a DVD about our grandson's Baptism using a piece of software from Serif called MoviePlus. This allowed me to use my .avi files from my camcorder and edit them, inserting text frames and still pictures and using the menu system to allow 'chapter points' - a very successful project!

I contacted Serif and asked whether the new version 'MoviePlus X3' would allow me to read in DVDs and produce an edited version. As they assured me it would, I purchased it and now all my old movies have been edited!!!
            I have been delighted with the results.

It requires a little practice but even I have been able to get my head round it eventually!!!

btw I never pay the full price for Serif software - I have been a customer for so long that they ring me with a special offer and I then bargain with them if I want the item!!!

Comment

Thanks very much Shirley! We'll look into that. We expected to need to buy something but didn't understand what we might need!

Anne

Comment

Working...
              X