No announcement yet.

Solomon Smith help with date of death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... and the same information available on FreeREG - just goes to show it is worth keeping an eye on sites such as these!

James Smith / Hannah Clarke marriage
    Elaine

Comment

Words fail me Elaine thank you so much thats just another generation you have found for me and saved me £7!!!!

I will have a look over the stuff later but just wanted to thank you first

Steven

Comment

Hi Elaine can't find any baptism records for Hannah. Can find some Hannah Clarke's but the dates are too close to the marriage date of 1845.

However it was still great to find the date of marriage. Will try to see if I can find out any more from the Wolverhampton records.

Steven

Comment

Would anyone have an ideas on how to find Hannah's birth? All I have is her marriage certificate which I ordered via gro to see if it had fathers full name. Unfortunately all it says is J Clarke occupation Boatman and that she was of full age when she married James Smith in 1841. Her husband James Smith was also noted as a Boatman and they maried in Wolverhampton on 3/3/1845. Can find Hannah and James on the 1861 census in Tipton I think it says in District of St Pauls at 2 Tipton Wharf. In 1871 they were living in Darlaston, Staffordshire.

Can't find them on 1851 census or cannot find either James or Hannah in 1841 (they would not have been maried then) when I have the Ancestry membership which recently lapsed. I suppose the 1841 census might give me Hannah's father and mothers names so this might be an even better option.

Any help would as always be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Wolverhampton - 30 Jul 1807 CLARKE Hannah daughter of John & Susannah 43450

Hi,

I'm new to this, but having found a great Wolverhampton site already mentioned by Elaine and found some records I hadn't found elsewhere I thought I'd have a bash.
            I think I understood what you were looking for and hope this entry fits the bill, if you haven't already got it

Regards,
            Les
            Researching my family with the surname Clive, and variations/mispellings Clives Cleve, Cleves, Cleeve, Cleeves from the Worcestershire and Wolverhampton areas. Especially various Mezey Clive characters!

Comment

Les
              Steve will be pleased clever you

Comment

Thanks for your help Les I had given up with this thread. The only issue I have is around the year 1807. According to the 1861 census Hannah is listed as age 40 which places her birth around 1821. The 1871 census has her listed as age 47 which places her birth around 1824 and the 1881 census has her listed as age 59 which places her birth around 1822.

I too had used the Wolverhampton site but just couldn't find a birth - what did the occupation of her father say? On her marriage cerificate dated 3/3/1845 its says her father is J Clarke occupation boatman - unfortunately her age is only listed "full age" which doesn't help.

Val helped me find Hannah on the 1841 census but her and her husband James (a boatman) and two children Eliza and Mary Ann are nowhere to be found. I know that they had a son James who was 10 in 1861 and his place of birth was Gailey but just cannot find them.

The difficulties I have is that I cannot find the birth of James Smith - but name is just too common I think. I think he was born Shenstone or Sharnton Warwick according to the censuses which means I don't know his parents. On the marriage certificate his father is listed as W Smith occupation gardner. Hannah is born Wolverhampton and all I have is father J Clarke occupation boatman.

I think this is definately my brick wall but thanks for your help

Steven

Comment

just a thought Steve but have you tried to find if she is listed in anyones tree on GR ??? there are a few Hannah Clarkes born round that time in that area on there.

Comment

War record??? No problem.....

I might have got the last bit wrong.......but,

Got about 36 pages of his war record where he is recorded as Robert S Smith aged 18 and coming from the parish of Limehouse. He signs Robert Solomon Smith.
                    NOK, Isabel Ward (spinster) date of mariage 23 2 1918 at Holy Trinity, Mile End
                    An address is given as 94 St Annes road Burdett road, Mile End, London E. The records are partially damaged from the fire that destroyed so many, but this is not bad.

It's on ancestry....do you have an active account there? If you do just reverse his names and up it pops..
                    Regards
                    Les
                    Researching my family with the surname Clive, and variations/mispellings Clives Cleve, Cleves, Cleeve, Cleeves from the Worcestershire and Wolverhampton areas. Especially various Mezey Clive characters!

Comment

Thanks Les Elaine got me sorted with that a while ago and it was SO interesting. It had his height, weight, eye colour, service record and even a reference to join the post office after the War. It was fantastic.

Val not sure about GR, hiw accurate is it?

It would be great to get back a further generation from James & Hannah both proving very difficult

Thanks again

Steven

Comment

did you ever find a baptism for Hannah, Steven?

since your last visit so many more records have become available, so it might be worthwhile actually rechecking the info.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                        X