Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coast Regiment?

Hello All,

I am trying to work up a tree for my nieces paternal side, my sister and her husband have split up, I have done quite well on all branches going back except the main one, the surname that she was born with :(

I have her grandfather, who died quite young of cancer, and I have his parents marriage certificate, it came today, 1943 Suffolk, on there it says that his father's rank/profession was Gunner (his number) Coast Regiment.

Any ideas what coast regiment means?
    Janet ;)

Researching - Curr, Woolven, Beeden, Haslett, Shurey, Barton, Slade & Harding.

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain.

Do these look relevant? I thought they looked possible...
    Whitehaven WWII Coast Battery
    Workington Coast Battery, coastal artillery, defence of Cumbria, 406th battery, 406th coast battery, 406th coast battery of 561st coastal regiment RA, Workington Dock, Workington harbour, Defence of Workington Dock, Northside Shore, Oldside Shore, mine-watcher's post, XDO Post, EXDO Post, Home-Guard Gunners, Home-Guard Coastal Gunners

From what I can see, the following RA units were based in Gib.
    3 Coast Regiment RA (Jan 1941 - )
    19 Coast Regiment RA (Dec 42 - Mar 45)

There are also a number of RNZA references.

(Google)

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-08-09, 17:59.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is a book about the Suffolk Coastal Batteries during WWII but I can't remember what it's called & googling hasn't helped. I know it can be bought in local shops.
      Glen

Comment

Thanks for that Christine, I had found a couple of obscure references when I Googled but I didn't find the ww2talk, it looks promising.

His residence at the time is listed as 'Finston' but I can only find it listed as a surname, does anyone know of a place with this name?
        Janet ;)

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain.

Comment

There's a list of Suffolk towns and parishes here, but I can't see anything obvious:

GENUKI: Suffolk Index

Comment

It's probably Friston which is inland from Aldeburgh. I'm pretty certain there were batteries along that part of the coast.
            Glen

Comment

Royal Artillery certainly had units called Coast Batteries and Gunner is a RA rank.
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you Ann & Mary.

Glen, the writing is quite difficult to make out on the certificate and it could well be Friston, if I didn't know that the wife came from Leiston I would never have worked that out!
                I will try to find the book, many thanks for your help
                Janet ;)

Comment

You may find that a local library has a copy of the book. An email to the librarian could pay off. And if they do have it, you could ask if they are willing to do an inter-library loan.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                  X