Desperate call for help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate call for help!!

Hi all, I am trying to find the parents of William James Kelly b.1854-1856 in Hampshire. I brought his marriage cert. and his father was also William! I cannot find William (1854) on the 1861 or 1871. I have looked for his birth on the IGI without luck! Should I get his birth cert. to get more information? I am thinking that maybe his parents were Irish as I think Kelly is an Irish name?
    Thanks for your help
    Tessie

Kelly is an Irish name. Do you have details of his birth cert from the indexes? It would give both parents' names, his father's occupation and also an address which would help you find them in the census.

If you haven't got details of his birth then presumably you only know he was born in Hampshire because he said so on later censuses. In which case he could be hiding his Irish ancestry.

He might also have been illegitimate and invented a father for his marriage cert.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

this looks like his birth in the index:

William James Kelly
      1856 Jan-Feb-Mar Farnham
      County: Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex
      Volume: 2a Page: 61
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes thats his birth! So I will order that and hopefully it will give the details!
        Thanks
        Tessie

Comment

I had a look on the IGI.

There are a couple of Hampshire William KELLEYs 1855±2.
          14 JAN 1853 Alverstoke, s of William KELLEY and Martha
          5 FEB 1854 Warblington Louisa KELLEY.

But those are early for that birth registration - apart from the extra E in the surname, and no ref to James as a middle name.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My great-grandfathers birth was registered in Farnham in 1860, but on every census the place varied from Blackwater to YorkTown (and YorkTown Oxfordshire). He was baptised in York Town and his death certificate says born in Sandhurst.

The area spans three counties and I was told the Blackwater end is in Hampshire while the eastern end of town is in Surrey. Sandhurst, in the north, is in Berkshire.

The family was only there for a short time, they were back in Birmingham for the 1861 census. There is a family rumour the g-g-grandfather was a builder and might have worked on the Sandhurst Military Academy building work.

Di
            Diane
            Sydney Australia
            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi again, I got the birth cert. for William James Kelly b. 1856 Farnham, Surrey/Southampton in Camp Aldershot. His father and mother were Anderson Kelly and Catherine Kelly formerly Davies. His father was a Colour Sergeant in the Antrim Rifles. I cannot see Anderson on the census' and the only one on 1861 that could fit for William James is a William living with his married mother Kate and his siblings. I am off to look at other census' but if someone could point me in some sort of direction as I have never had to look at N. Ireland before!! Thanks for your help
              Tessie

Comment

Ok I have had a look, and can't see William or Anderson and Catherine/Kate anywhere!! Do I put Northern Ireland or just Ireland when looking for Anderson?
                Thanks

Comment

What do you think of this 1861 census? Doesn't all fit, but I think Anderson is some sort of serviceman? And he is from Belfast
                  Class: RG9; Piece: 2582; Folio: 116; Page: ; GSU roll: 542994.
                  Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

I don't think there are any census records surviving for NI. I have been looking for Antrim names for a while now and it's very, very hard!
                    I have used another forum Genealogy - Belfast Forum and they are very helpful with local knowledge and practical assistance.
                    If you look on the Wiki here you will find other site for records searches.
                    Margaret

Comment

I saw that but his wife was Catherine/Kate! Unless she died, off to have a look!
                      Tessie

Comment

Do you have any of them on the 1881 or 1891 census?
                        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

1881 Have you seen this: Mary and Anderson kelly in poorhouse in Macclesfield. Both born Ireland
                          Class: RG11; Piece: 3495; Folio: 119; Page: 11; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341838.
                          Jules

Comment

No I don't! William James Kelly married and had 1 child, I have his wife and this child but not with William. I believe William died in 1890! I can't see Anderson or Catherine/Kate or William James on any census'!! This is a major brickwall and I wanted to get this sorted before Sunday as its my Grandad's funeral on Monday and wanted to have it done by then to give to my Granny!! However, I don't think I am ever going to know anything about this side before William's child!!
                            Tessie

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                              No I don't! William James Kelly married and had 1 child, I have his wife and this child but not with William. I believe William died in 1890! I can't see Anderson or Catherine/Kate or William James on any census'!! This is a major brickwall and I wanted to get this sorted before Sunday as its my Grandad's funeral on Monday and wanted to have it done by then to give to my Granny!! However, I don't think I am ever going to know anything about this side before William's child!!
                              Tessie
                              Do you know if William prefered to be called James? Maybe have a look for that name instead. I'll search too.
                              Jules

Comment

Do you know where William James lived? Where did you find the wife and child?
                                Jules

Comment

Jane was living at Braishfield Lodge, Mich(t)elmarsh, Hampshire as a cook/servant. Their son William Pottle Kelly lived with his Mothers parents until he married. The family never lived together on the census'!!
                                  Tessie

Comment

just found this odd one for William Kelly born 1856 Aldershot. Worth taking a look at...

1891 Class: RG12; Piece: 534; Folio 52; Page 5; GSU roll: 6095644. Maybe he remarried?
                                    Jules

Comment

seen this?

William Pottle Kelly
                                      Birth Year: abt 1880
                                      Residence : Farley Warren, Braishfield Romsey Hants
                                      Regiment Name: Army Service Corps
                                      Document Year: 1915
                                      Number of Images: 3
                                      Jules

Comment

hi Jules, yes seen his service records thanks! I think the William you found died as I have a death that fits perfectly! For some reason or another this family didn't want to be on the census' or somehow missed off being a Military family! I don't think I will get to the bottom of this one!!
                                        Thanks for all your help!
                                        Tessie

Comment

Working...
                                        X