1911 Police man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Police man

Is there a site that would list Policemen from the 1911 onwards. I may have mis read Cow.man which on second thoughts could be Law.man.

I have the marriage cert not a transcription.

Peter

I don't think a policeman in the UK would ever have been called a lawman.

Comment

well then Con.Man notice there is a dot between the two words.
      cow.man ?
      con.man ?
      law.man ?

If as i first thought cowman why the 'dot'
      Any ideas ?

Peter

Comment

Con man? I hope not

Can you scan that part of the cert and post it here?

Comment

Contract man?

Comment

Con. could be short for something else

Comment

I don't think there would be a dot unless there was an abbreviation. Impossible to say what it says without seeing it.

But if its a cert from 1911 you can double check on the census.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The marriage cert is Feb 1911 but William Henry Miles cant be found on the 1911 census.

He is shown as living in Kirdford on the cert .
                This is part of the puzzle as his wife is with her parents with thier son Reginald'Reganald' William Miles .

So i have two thoughts one his job takes him away , or his is mistranscribed somewhere.

Peter

Comment

Where is Kirdford?

Comment

Kirdford is in Sussex.

Most of my tree were either in Kirdford or the surrounding villages till the 1920's when they started to move further afield .

I will attempt to get the scanner working today and show the part of the cert. thats is causing me grief.

Peter

Comment

I cannot find my husband's grandfather on the 1911 census although he was married in April 1911 in London and his wife-to-be is listed. He was in the Army and was probably abroad when the census was taken. Could this also apply to your William Henry?

Just a thought.
                      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Here is the scan as best i can do ;-

Peter
                        Attached Files

Comment

I wonder if it is a hyphen rather than a full stop ... cow-man
                          Elaine

Comment

I go with Elaine - cow-man
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thirded

Comment

Thank you for that , it was my first thought , so a cowherder etc.

So where has he dissapeared to ? could he have taken cows to market that day .
                                What day was the census done back then and was that an important market day one wonders.
                                Sorry to ask so many question i am inquisitive.

Peter

Comment

The 1911 census for England and Wales was taken on the night of Sunday 2 April, 1911. The count included all individual households, plus institutions such as prisons, workhouses, naval vessels and merchant vessels, and it also attempted to make an approximate count of the homeless.
                                  About the 1911 census

When the earlier censuses were taken, the householder normally had to list all the people who had slept in the house the previous night. In 1911, they had to list:

"every person, whether member of the family, visitor, boarder or servant, who:
                                  (1) passed the night of Sunday April 2nd in this dwelling and was alive at midnight, or
                                  (2) arrived in this dwelling on the morning of Monday, April 3rd, not having been enumerated elsewhere.
                                  No-one else must be included."
                                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 16-08-09, 14:14.

Comment

Peter

When I can't find people on the census it might be because they have been mistranscribed, but I have also instances where they just disappeared.

Maybe your chap was with his cows or staying elsewhere on census night and the person filling in the form assumed he was listed with his family?

I also have the opposite - same person enumerated twice!

Comment

Can't see him among the military records on Ancestry.

Wherever he went, he evidently came back, because they had a second child in 1917.

Comment

my great grandmother was a servant in 1911, with her working family, but her parents filled her in for there household too. i think if he was a cow herder or something similar he may have spent the night in the field?

Comment

Working...
                                        X