Thread: Burial Register annotation

Burial Register annotation

Please

Does anyone have any idea what a margin note 'F L' means in a burial register?

I was only recording the burials for two surnames in the 18th century and it appears against 3 burials in the 1760s.

I wondered if it was something to do with being buried, or not, in wool but I thought that 'A' or 'Aff' was the usual (and required) annotation?

Many thanks for any help
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Could it be 'First Lair' or more likely 'Final Lair'?

This would indicate that it was the first or last lair in a multi-lair grave.

Hugo

Hugo

I must admit I have never heard of that!

Thank you

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Could it be anything to do with where the place is? Could it be an abbreviation for a nearby place from which the people came?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Christine

The parish is Hampstead Middlesex and I have just done a quick check on parloc for a 5 mile radius and there is nothing that would fit so I don't think it has anything to do with a nearby place. There is also no area of the village, that I know of, that would account for the initials.

Thank you for the suggestion though, I hadn't thought of that.

Hugo's reference to Lairs is a Scottish term, still used today. So it wouldn't apply to a Middlesex burial.
    Uncle John

Uncle John

Thank you for clarifying that.

I am beginning to wonder if it does have something to do with burial in linen....Fined for burial in Linen???....But no entries around it have a corresponding 'A' or 'Aff' to suggest they were still adhering to the Acts.

Maybe the incumbent gave up recording who was buried in wool as it would be taken as a given, but recorded burial in Linen as he had to account for the fine being paid.

I may never know!

Thanks again