Who are George's parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are George's parents?

George Smith b1851 Thurmaston, occ: blacksmith (he married in 1874)

I have him in 1881 living with Ellen and children at Thurmaston.

Can anyone please locate him between 1851, 1861 and 1871 ??
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

I think this may be him in 1851. All the best
    Ayse

George Smith born in about 1851 ,Thurmaston, Leics.
    He is living in the parish of Thurmaston. Also in the household are
    Hannah Smith (63), Ann Smith (38), Sarah Smith (26), Phoebe Smith (14), Mary Ann Smith (6) and GEorge Smith one month and listed as grandson.

HO107; Piece: 2087; Folio: 674; Page: 29; GSU roll: 87714-87715.
    Last edited by ayse; 19-08-09, 15:41. Reason: copyright violation

Comment

Hannah is listed as (seamer or sewer) pauper, Ann as her daughter farmworker and knitter, the same for Sarah, Phoebe (seamer or sewer) grandaughter, Mary (seamer or sewer) and George both grandchildren.

Comment

Thanks Ayse ... that looks promising - any clues as to who his mother / parents are?

Comment

There is another George Smith 3 months as follows in the 1851;
          George Smith born Thurmaston, Leicestershire, living in the parish of South Thurmaston.
          Also living there are Thomas Smith 28. Ann Smith 25, Thomas Rudkin 8, Elizabeth Smith 5, William Smith 4, John Smith 2 and George Smith 3 months

All born Thurmaston. Thomas is a blacksmith, wife a framework knitter. Thomas Rudkin is also son - all the other children are noted as children of the parents.

This makes it difficult. You may need to buy the wedding cert for George and Ellen.

HO107 Piece, 2087; folio, 671; All the best
          Last edited by ayse; 19-08-09, 15:44. Reason: Post edited - copyright violation

Comment

wow Ayse .. what a find!

This looks more likely than the George with his grandmother ... think you are right marriage cert might be best way to find out who his father was

Thanks again for your help

Any sign of them in 1861?

Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 14-08-09, 11:33.

Comment

1871 England Census
              George Smith born c 1851 Thurmaston, Leicestershire
              living in parish of Cheetham, Manchester, Lancs.

Household:
              Fanny Crossley 40
              Charles Crossley 11
              Sarah Motcliffe 24
              John Hagne 19
              Mary Crossley 70
              John Smith 22
              George Smith 20 - lodger

RG10; Piece: 4063; Folio: 118; Page: 27; GSU roll: 846346.

I suspect this could be your John with brother as both are born in Thurmaston. They are both blacksmiths. I also bears out the 2nd 1851 census details, with parents of Thomas and Ann.

I'd do a bit more but I'm off for the weekend to Amsterdam.

Have a good weekend yourself

Ayse
              Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 14-08-09, 12:00. Reason: Post edited - copyright violation

Comment

Marriages Jun 1845
                Rudkin Ann Barrow on Soar 15 45
                Smith Thomas Barrow on Soar 15 45

Ayse, had you noticed that Elaine's edited your post #2? You need to do to the same with #5 and #7, otherwise it's a breach of copyright.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 14-08-09, 11:32.

Comment

Can we ask that you do not cut and paste directly from sites such as Ancestry as it violates copyright.
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks again Ayse ... you help is very much appreciated and have a realllllllllllly gooooood weekend in Amsterdam.

Thanks Mary ... that ties the Rudkin connection up very nicely too

Comment

If you come across a Helen/Ellen Rudkin born in Newtown Linford c. 1855, she's one of mine

Comment

Hi Mary ... hope all is well with you and yours

....these aren't my rellies .. helping a friend and we hit a patch when we both lost the plot !!! ... lol

but thanks to wonderful help from Ayse and yourself I'm hoping we can now make some more progress

Comment

Yes, fine, thanks. I shall be in Leicester in the 2nd week of September - are you likely to be around?

Comment

Working...
                          X