Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MC from local records office

Well,
    I,d put off doing my mums line thinking it would be the hardest as the surname is Smith

Went on Lanc's BMD last night and found all their births and a few children that died young i'd no knowledge of,

Grandparents marriage there all at local church's so my question is if i go to Preston Records office would i be able to get a copy there and then.

I cliked the Ref num' and then the link from that page but the onl;ine ordering is N/A.
    So i thought going direst may be quicker.
    Anyone dealt with them?
    Edi.

IF the marriage registers are held at Preston RECORDS office, then yes, you can get a photocopy there and then.

However, be aware that the cost of a photocopy marriage entry is now £7, in line with the cost of a certificate. (But no one can prevent you hand-copying the entry for nothing).

Check their website to see if they do indeed hold copies of the marriage registers you are interested in - not all have been deposited.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      IF the marriage registers are held at Preston RECORDS office, then yes, you can get a photocopy there and then.

However, be aware that the cost of a photocopy marriage entry is now £7, in line with the cost of a certificate. (But no one can prevent you hand-copying the entry for nothing).

Check their website to see if they do indeed hold copies of the marriage registers you are interested in - not all have been deposited.

OC
      Thanks OC, will have a look at the website and if theyve got them i'm going to town .
      It will be my first visit to a records office so any tips would be apprieciated.
      Edi.

Comment

The only place which is certain to hold the records is the REGISTER office, which will have the duplicate records submitted by the church. Since you know which church, they will know which register to look in. The individual church may have deposited their original marriage register at the County RECORDS office, but it's just as likely to still be in the church safe.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I've had a look and the registers for St Mathews Church are on microfiche Marriages 1884 to 1983.
          Going to town then hoping the info' on record will help me get further back with gramps and grandma.
          Going in on bus cause the parking is all meters or tickets
          Will see how i get on and if i find it easy and not too nerve racking-----
          i'll offer look ups on the volunteering thread.
          Will let you know how i got on.
          Edi.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
            The only place which is certain to hold the records is the REGISTER office, which will have the duplicate records submitted by the church. Since you know which church, they will know which register to look in. The individual church may have deposited their original marriage register at the County RECORDS office, but it's just as likely to still be in the church safe.
            Thanks UJ .Crossed each other . So i'm maybe better asking at the church and if they havent got them then it's the Registry office. Yes?
            Edi

Comment

Originally posted by Englishedith View Post
              Thanks UJ .Crossed each other . So i'm maybe better asking at the church and if they havent got them then it's the Registry office. Yes?
              Edi
              Which you feel is best is down to you. My preference is:
              1. Record Office (or the Church if you find that the Record O hasn't got the records) then
              2. Local Register Office or
              3. GRO if there's any* problem getting the record form the local Register O.

*e.g. they don't have an online ordering system, or I want to pay by Cr/card and they don't accept - something like that.

I had thought that you could still get a photocopy or digital photo of a post-June-1837 marriage register if you attended the Record Office yourself to get it. That the £7 cut in only if you have to ask the Office to generate the copy for you.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've just been on the church's website and sent an email to ask if they still hold the records and if so what is the protocol for accessing them.
                So i hope i get a quick reply cause it they havent got them I can still go tomorrow as i have a free day .
                Edi.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  Which you feel is best is down to you. My preference is:
                  1. Record Office (or the Church if you find that the Record O hasn't got the records) then
                  2. Local Register Office or
                  3. GRO if there's any* problem getting the record form the local Register O.

*e.g. they don't have an online ordering system, or I want to pay by Cr/card and they don't accept - something like that.

I had thought that you could still get a photocopy or digital photo of a post-June-1837 marriage register if you attended the Record Office yourself to get it. That the £7 cut in only if you have to ask the Office to generate the copy for you.

Christine
                  Thankyou Christine Yes will definatley be doing one of those tomorrow
                  I'm quite excited now and looking forwards to finding some more info on my rellies.
                  Edi

Comment

Christine

No, the £7 charge applies to all copies of marriage certificates, no matter who generates the copy.

The "copying agency" has to pay the £7 to the GRO. This is the GRO closing that time-honoured loophole of getting exactly the same information for coppers AND depriving the GRO of revenue.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Christine

No, the £7 charge applies to all copies of marriage certificates, no matter who generates the copy.

The "copying agency" has to pay the £7 to the GRO. This is the GRO closing that time-honoured loophole of getting exactly the same information for coppers AND depriving the GRO of revenue.

OC
                      I can't see how it deprives the GRO of revenue. I should have thought that the admin costs of formally producing the cert and then posting out - plus any back-up they have to apply would mean that the margin would be pretty small - certainly not enough to be that money-grubbing.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

How long has the £7 fee been in place?

I've never paid it. The last copy I had was of a microfiche image and the lady doing it apologised because she had actually printed out both the marriages on the page. I said not to worry - didn't tell her that the second marriage she'd included was the brother of the first bride!

I usually go to the record office and make transcriptions of marriage entries, if I possibly can. I then type these up onto a template I've made.
                        There have been no costs involved when making transcripts, and I can get details of an awful lot of marriages in a half-day session.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I know that, if you apply from a distance, the Records Offices have had to make the £7 charge for a year or so.

I did think that I had more recent experience of being able to take the copy myself for just the copy-price (i.e. zero, if it's a photo).

Christine

Comment

It is only recent. I'll see if I can find the blurb.

There is no charge if you transcribe the record yourself, because there is no copyright on the information, it is the format which is copyright.

OC

Comment

Ha, I can't find the official announcement but perhaps there wasn't one. I remember thinking "ooh, sneaky" when I read about this.

OK, who is going to test this?

Edith seems to be our guinea pig - please report back here Edith!

OC

Comment

I must admit I haven't been to any record offices for a couple of years, so I'm not au fait with current regulations.

Here's an interesting scenario for you to ponder on, however.

The Borthwick Institute is situated in one of the libraries on the Uni complex.
                                The actual institute is closed in the evenings, but the microfilm room (for general student use for reading of ALL microfilm) is accessible until 11.30 p.m.

PR is on microfilm and is housed in this room, on a serve yourself basis. So anyone using the room has access to films of the marriage registers. One of the readers is a printer reader, where anyone can make a print of any frame of any microfilm (if they understand the instructions!)

Who is to know which person has made ANY print out and if it was of a marriage?
                                I don't see how a fee of £7 could be enforced, and if I don't have to pay at one record office, how could others argue the legality of the fee for a comparable print out?

Does this £7 perhaps apply to a digital image of the original, rather than a print out of a microfilm copy?

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Jay

I expect that like all government edicts, the practice is open to interpretation!

I read it to mean that a photocopy of a marriage in a church register will be charged at certificate prices (because it belongs to the GRO in THAT FORMAT - an original register).

Your argument that a photocopy taken from a microfiche is not the same thing, is correct in MY view, but possibly not in the eyes of the GRO!

Let us see what happens if Edith tries it tomorrow.....

OC

Comment

I must ask our minister what he is charging for info. from our (current) church marriage register. He's had a couple of requests recently.
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John

Yes, that would be interesting and helpful to know.

OC

Comment

My understanding is that a CERTIFICATED copy from the RECORDS Office would be more that just printing the entry from the fiche/film yourself.

I was at an Archives last month & paid 50p to print marriage entries from the film.

Looking at the table of parochial fees on CofE website the fee seems to be £19.00.
                                        Jay

Comment

Working...
                                        X