Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Glenn

I hope you are keeping well.

I've got another request for you next time you happen to be at the records office, no rush, as I always say, the ancestors have been dead for years!

I have a marriage (on the IGI) in Edlesborough, Bucks, on 5th March 1794, between George OSBORNE and Mary PLUMMER. Please could you have a look at this to confirm, and let me have any other info if there is any.

I've also got possible baptisms on the IGI for their children:
    Edward 1794, Mary (my ancestor) 1796, Joseph 1798 and Ruth 1803.

I'd be interested to know if there are any possible baptisms for George OSBORNE and Mary PLUMMER, to try to trace them back further. Mary my ancestor, their daughter, is down on census as born Dagnall, which is only a mile or two from Edlesborough.

Mary OSBORNE married a John SMART in Tring, so this is where the Bucks trail goes cold, until their son Jonathan SMART marries Jane TYLER in 1846 in the Berkhampstead District (so again Herts, not Bucks).

The 1851 census has Jane SMART (nee TYLER) age 26 and born in Long Crendon, the 1861 has her age 36 born in Chearsley.
    In 1871 she is in Long Crendon with Thomas Crook 48, Jane Crook 26, plus their children.
    Jane SMART (nee TYLER)'s niece Kate, is on the 1871 census with another Crook family in Long Crendon, Robert 40 and Ellen 44.
    However I can't find the CROOK / TYLER connection.
    I suppose it's possible that Jane TYLER was married before she married Jonathan SMART?

As always, thank you in advance, and no hurry.

Helen

Comment

• Good to hear from you Helen, I'll see what I can find. I'm not sure when as requests are few & far between these days but hopefully in the next week or so.

The SMART/TYLER marriage is on FMP & Jane is single. If you can't access it, pm me your email & I'll send a copy.
      Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
        Good to hear from you Helen, I'll see what I can find. I'm not sure when as requests are few & far between these days but hopefully in the next week or so.

The SMART/TYLER marriage is on FMP & Jane is single. If you can't access it, pm me your email & I'll send a copy.
        Thank you Glenn. I don't have FMP access at the moment, so yes please, I will pm my email address. Just got Ancestry currently. Thank you.

Comment

• Hi Helen,

I popped in to the RO this morning for ½ an hour & checked the database. There are very few OSBORNE events within 5 miles of Edlesborough.

I can confirm the marriage date & place. George & Mary were both otp & made their mark. Banns read Nov 17, 24, Dec 1 1793. Wit: John LUCK (X) William GINGER (serial signer) There is no indication that this is a 2nd marriage.

I can also confirm the baptisms of the children - no additional information.

The only George baptised in Edlesborough was the son of John & Judith 12/6/1748. He seems likely to be the George who married an Elizabeth & had a couple of children in the 1770s. I didn't have time to check the burials to see if it was feasible that Elizabeth had died & George remarried.

There was no baptism for Jane TYLER in Chearsley & no CROOK/TYLER marriage in Buckinghamshire. When I have more time I'll investigate further. The problem with Edlesborough is that it's close to Herts & Beds & Chearsley is close to Oxon.
          Glen

Comment

• Hi Helen,

I'm off to the RO in the morning so I thought I'd do a bit of background on your request so that I know what I'm looking for.

Although there's no baptism for Jane TYLER, Ancestry does have a bap. for Jane TAYLOR 1825 Long Crendon d. John/Mary & also for Thomas & John two of the other children on the 1841 census with Jane & her mother. The other child Henry was born in Chearsley, I couldn't find a baptism on line but I did find a burial there for John TAYLER in 1829 aged 38 - a likely candidate for Jane's father.

Following up John as TAYLOR not TYLER, Ancestry has a marriage for him in 1823 to Mary BRIARIS & this is the connection to the CROOKs. Thomas & Robert CROOK are brothers, sons of John CROOK & Elizabeth BRIARIS.

Mary & Elizabeth were both born Wheatfield, Oxon so are likely sisters which would make Jane & Thomas cousins. I expect you know the Oxon PRs are coming out on Ancestry in October so that should help with that line.

I'll try to confirm everything tomorrow.
            Glen

Comment

• Hi Glen, not sure if your very kind offer of help still stands as it looks like a long time ago and I have only just found this site! I wonder if you could look and see if you could find a baptism for Gladys Woodbridge born in 1915, the address on the birth certificate says Bridge Street, Colnbrook, Horton, Buckingham. Her Mother was Mabel Dorothy Woodbridge, no Father.
              Thanks so much .

Comment

• Hi Chinch,

I won't be in town until next week now but happy to take a look for you.
                Glen

Comment

Hi Chinch,

I won't be in town until next week now but happy to take a look for you.
                  Hi Glen, thank you so much for this. I will await your findings with fingers crossed! Thanks again. Chinch

Comment

• Originally posted by CHINCH View Post
                    Hi Glen, not sure if your very kind offer of help still stands as it looks like a long time ago and I have only just found this site! I wonder if you could look and see if you could find a baptism for Gladys Woodbridge born in 1915, the address on the birth certificate says Bridge Street, Colnbrook, Horton, Buckingham. Her Mother was Mabel Dorothy Woodbridge, no Father.
                    Thanks so much .
                    Sorry Chinch, the Record Office doesn't hold any Horton registers for that period. The registers will still be with the church.
                    Glen

Comment

Sorry Chinch, the Record Office doesn't hold any Horton registers for that period. The registers will still be with the church.
                      Hi Glen thank you so much for this. I did visit Colnbrook and asked at the local church but they tell me that the records aren't kept there. Perhaps she wasn't baptised? Anyway, thanks again. Kind regards, Chinch.

Comment

• Sorry Chinch, I thought Colnbrook was part of Horton, but checking online I see the RO should have some Colnbrook registers. I'll have another go.
                        Glen

Comment

Sorry Chinch, I thought Colnbrook was part of Horton, but checking online I see the RO should have some Colnbrook registers. I'll have another go.
                          Hi Glen, thank you. It's strange as the birth certificate does say that Gladys was born in Colnbrook, Horton! I suppose there have been many boundary changes over the years. Thanks for having another try for me, I appreciate it. Kind regards, Chinch.

Comment

• Hello again, Glen, I just wondered if you had managed to take another look at the records for Colnbrook? I don't want to sound impatient but wasn't sure if you would contact me direct or put a post on this site . Sorry if you haven't had time yet!!! lOOK FORWARD TO BEARING FROM YOU. Best wishes, Chinch.

Comment

• Sorry Chinch, not yet. I don't go in very often & the RO is only open Tues - Thurs. I'm a bit busy for the next couple of weeks but I'm hoping to go in on Oct 12. If I find anything I'll put it on this thread but I'll PM you to let you know it's there
                              Glen

Comment

• Hi Glen, thanks so much for this and sorry for being impatient. You are very kind. Chinch.

Comment

• I popped into the RO today & took a look at the Colnbrook registers. I checked until 1924 in case there was a late baptism but nothing for Gladys.

Her grandfather Edmund Rixon WOODBRIDGE did baptise 2 children he had with his 2nd or 3rd wife, Blanche Isabelle Fanny FRITH, a quick look online failed to reveal his marriage to Mary Ann SPARROW.

They were both baptised 1 Apr 1915, Vera Dora was born 24 Mar 1912 & Queenie Doris 5 Apr 1913. They were living at Bridge Street. Vera died later that year but Queenie went on to marry in 1938.

Sorry it's not the info. for which you were hoping .
                                  Last edited by Oakum Picker; 12-10-17, 20:47.
                                  Glen

Comment

I popped into the RO today & took a look at the Colnbrook registers. I checked until 1924 in case there was a late baptism but nothing for Gladys.

Her grandfather Edmund Rixon WOODBRIDGE did baptise 2 children he had with his 2nd or 3rd wife, Blanche Isabelle Fanny FRITH, a quick look online failed to reveal his marriage to Mary Ann SPARROW.

They were both baptised 1 Apr 1915, Vera Dora was born 24 Mar 1912 & Queenie Doris 5 Apr 1913. They were living at Bridge Street. Vera died later that year but Queenie went on to marry in 1938.

Sorry it's not the info. for which you were hoping .

Hi Glen and thank you so much for looking for me. I appreciate you taking the time.
                                    I did have this information but who is Mary Ann Sparrow? I have never heard of her before! Do you know the dates of this marriage to Mary Ann? Oh, sorry, this is his first wife with whom he had 2 children maybe? I didn't know her surname so got a little confused, sorry.
                                    Thank you again, Glen.

Comment

• The GRO online index shows the 2 children's mother has the maiden name SPARROW. In fact she was born before her parents married & was registered as ATKINS.
                                      Glen

Comment

The GRO online index shows the 2 children's mother has the maiden name SPARROW. In fact she was born before her parents married & was registered as ATKINS.

Oh, this is something new to me. Thank you, Glen for this.
                                        CHINCH.

Comment

• Hello
                                          I'm doing one of my occasional dashes in to FTF - a bit of a renegade at the moment, though I recommend the site whenever I can.

I'm researching a tree for a friend, and hoping to make a presentable version of her half (his name has been very well researched, and I seriously doubt that I could possibly contribute anything new) in time for my OH to take to their Golden Wedding celebrations in mid-March - sadly, I was already committed to a professional singing engagement (fortunately, our friends understand what that means, and aren't offended). Anyway...

FMP has a transcription of a wedding on 31 May 1834 in Upton Cum Chalvey. It's from BTs, and has the ref D/A/T/173 p129. The names are William DENCHER (transcribed as William DUNCHER) and Ann CLEGHORN, both of Dorton. The witness names are transcribed as Wm CLEDHORN & Harriet PHAIR

If there's any chance of checking that - an image (BTs or PR) would be wonderful - I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks.
                                          Christine
                                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                          X