No announcement yet.

Bucks RO Lookups - Ongoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only managed a couple of hours this morning so didn't get very far. Thought it was going to rain so took the car - can't bring myself to pay more than 3 hrs. Have booked myself in again next week so will continue then. Hopefully the weather will be more promising so that I can park at my daughter's & walk from there.
    Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
      Glen

I am soooo in your debt. Could you check a baptism for me in Farnham Royal between 15 May and 1st July 1850 for JOHN WILLIAM CHOWNS?

John was born illegitimate 15 May and died 1st July. No father is listed on his birth cert but I am hoping there might be a clue in his baptism.

Many thanks.
      Unfortunately there was no baptism; only his burial.
      John William CHOWNS Salt Hill An infant 5/7/1850

The only other CHOWNS events 1840 - 1860 were the bapt.& bur. of:
      William CHOWNS B B in big black letters, s Elizabeth of St Pancras London priv. bapt. 9/2/1846, rec'd 13/9/1846, bur. 18/9/1846
      Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
        Thank you for your kind offer.

John Cummin(g)s married Ann King on 20/12/1784 in Monks Risborough. I'm trying to find out who their parents were. I'm hoping they were also baptised in Monks Risborough around 1764. Would you be able to take a look please?

Jane
        There was no bapt. for John CUMMINGS: I found 2 for Ann KING.

Ann d. Thomas/Mary 29/5/1762
        Ann d. John Ann 24/8/1766

There was no death for either in the next 10 yrs.

I saw on the marriage that the witnesses were Peter & William KING.

The only Peter bapt. was son of William/Elizabeth of Meadle 13/3/1750.

Sorry - not a lot of help.
        Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Helen in Bucks View Post
          Glen, what a great offer, thank you in advance.

If it isn't too much trouble please could you look up a baptism record in Bledlow for Daniel BUTLER, born around 1797 according to census info.

I'm also interested in finding the marriage between Daniel BUTLER and Sarah UNKNOWN. At a guess it would have taken place in Ickford as this is where Sarah was born, according to census. But I guess her family could have moved to Bledlow and that's how she met Daniel, so maybe worth trying Bledlow as well. As far as I can work out from the 1841 census their first child was born in 1827, but I imagine there might have been earlier children who had left home by the time of the census.

I'd also like to have a baptism look up in Bledlow for Sarah BUTLER, their daughter, who, according to census records, was born in 1835.

Please let me know if this is too much trouble, as I do try to get to Aylesbury occasionally, although my baby has a pretty short boredom threshold!

I've tried to see if the Bledlow registers are available on CD but haven't had any luck so far.

Thank you, Helen
          Daniel BUTLER s. Stephen/Elizabeth b. 1/3/1798 bapt. 4/3/1798
          Sarah BUTLER d. Daniel/Sarah b. 9/3/1835 bapt. 31/5/1835

There was no marriage in Ickford or Bledlow but I did find
          Stephen BUTLER Elizabeth VARNEY botp Banns 12/10/1789
          Wit: Joseph IRVING Sarah FULLER Sarah made her mark but it was all written in the same hand so i don't know about the others.

Didn't have time to look for other children - will do that next time. I noticed earlier BUTLERs so may be able to trace back further.
          Glen

Comment

thank you Glen - much appreciated

Comment

I hope to complete the original requests this week. If there are any more, just add to this thread.
              Glen

Comment

Many thanks Glen - maybe the witnesses will be a help.

Jane

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
                  My great-grandfather has gone missing, between 1901 and 1911. His name is John Newton, he was born 5 October 1831 in Princes Risborough. I have information on him, his wife Mary, and their children in the census until he was last seen in 1901 as a Farm Ag L, age 71, widowed, Great Kingshill, Hughenden. My grandparents married in 1911 and John was deceased according to their marriage certificate; I know that deceased isn't always true but I cannot find him in the 1911 census nor can I find his death registration. He was in Hughenden from 1871.

If you come across any mention of him - perhaps if there are burial registers from 1901 for Hughenden? - I would be most grateful to know what happened to him. Many thanks.
                  I checked the register from 1901-31 but found nothing. Did his wife die in 1901?
                  Glen

Comment

JOHN & WILLIAM CHOWN/S

Thank you Glen. I already had William's birth, but not his burial and that's a great help. Maybe I am being a bit suspicious, but two illegitimate sons (Ann and Elizabeth were sisters) in one family dying young? Ann went on to have 4 healthy children after her marriage.

Anyway many thanks for your time and trouble.
                    Last edited by Little Nell; 19-08-09, 15:10.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Peppie View Post
                      Hello Glen,
                      would it be possible for you to look for a baptisim for a Thomas Copcutt born 1811 Waddesden. It is possible it might be a Methodist baptisim as he ended up being a Primative Methodist preacher.

I'd very much like to know dates and parents and any other info the baptisim may throw up.

Many thanks in advance.

Thomas COPCUTT botp Amelia SAUNDERS sotp Banns 5/9/1830
                      Wit: Joseph RIDGWAY Elizabeth BOWDEN All made their mark.

Thomas COPCUTT s. James/Hannah 24/6/1810

James COPCUTT botp Hannah VARNEY sotp Banns 21/10/1806
                      Wit: John ROSE Jnr William GRIFFIN Joseph HARLAND William COOK
                      Charles JARVIS Only first 3 wits signed.

James COPCUTT s. John/Elizabeth 15/8/1784 Paid 3d.

John COBCUTT s. Francis/Mary 15/1/1757

I think the last is the same family as the majority of children of Francis & Mary are getting married & having children as COPCUTT later in the register.

BURIALS
                      Elizabeth wife John 56 7/5/1818
                      John 88 23/1/1845
                      Amelia 44 13/3/1855
                      James 74 9/9/1855
                      Hannah 74 14/10/1855

I've still to check the pre 1750 records.

The Record Office don't hold the Waddesdon Methodist Registers & suggest you contact the church direct.
                      Glen

Comment

Glen

double thanks! I have 2 possibles for Elizabeth Chowns in 1841 - but the one in St Pancras is looking increasingly likely now, so yippee!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My time was again curtailed; this time by double glazing salesmen but I'm going in again tomorrow so hopefully will be able to complete the requests.
                          Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                            I checked the register from 1901-31 but found nothing. Did his wife die in 1901?
                            I do appreciate you looking for him, thank you very much.

Maybe it is another case of non-registration :-)

Yes, Mary died just before the census in 1901; from her death certificate:

Mary died 13 February 1901 in Widmer End, Hughenden RD. Cause of death: 'Erysipilas asthenia 7 days', she was age 61, wife of John Newton, General Labourer.
                            Last edited by Joy Dean; 19-08-09, 16:48.
                            Joy

Comment

Joy,

Could John have gone off to live with one of his children elsewhere? Do you know where they all are in 1911?
                              Glen

Comment

Elizabeth married Harry Bugbird in 1889; they were later in South or Upper Norwood.

Ann was a servant in London in 1881 and 1891, missing after that until her marriage in 1925 to George Saunders in Buckinghamshire.

Will married Ellen in 1893; they stayed in Hughenden and had a cherry orchard. The Newtons of Newton's Farm, Primrose Hill, Widmer End, near High Wycombe, were laddermakers.

Herbert married Maria in 1897; in 1901 they were in Wood Green, and it is thought they moved later to Essex and to Hazlemere.

Amy was born about 1870, disappeared after 1881 but there is a marriage registration in Newport Pagnell for an Amy Mary Newton 1902, though it is thought she might have lived in Hazlemere.

Rose, born 1873, was a parlourmaid in Berkshire and then Chelsea in 1901; she died in 1914 Epsom district.

Isaac born 1878 might have emigrated.

My grandfather Ben born 1880 - certificate of discharge from the army, in 1908, stated Ranelagh Road, Wood Green, London as intended place of residence (his brother Herbert's address); in 1911 he was in a police house in London.

Edward born 1882 was with his brother Will in Hughenden in 1901.
                                Joy

Comment

I'm pretty sure I saw Mary's burial in the burial register so even if John's death didn't make it to the GRO, he still had to be buried so I just wondered if he died with one of his children & was registered there.

Obviously if he had been with local ones the Reg. Dist. would still have been Wycombe. I'm not too sure which R. D.s some of the others come under; have you checked those?
                                  Glen

Comment

I don't know where all the brothers and sisters were in 1911 yet unfortunately.

I have tried searching for him quarter by quarter and sent for one certificate which was wrong.

If you see Mary again, could you let me know what it says, please? Thanks.

Oh, and they had a baby Isaac who was born and died in 1875.

1841 census (mistranscribed as Newborn, not easy to read) age 10, in the Poorhouse, Saunderton.

1851 census Agricultural labourer, age 19, Summerleys, Princes Risborough.

1861 census age 28, with wife Mary and 1-month-old daughter Elizabeth at his sister-in-law Elizabeth Green's home in Speen.

1871 census Labourer, age 37, Mary, age 31, Lacemaker, daughter Elizabeth, age 10, Lacemaker, daughter Ann, age 8, son William, age 6, son Herbert, age 3, daughter Amy, age 1, Kingshill, Hughenden.

1881 census Labourer, age 50, Boss Lane, Hughenden, Buckingham, Mary, age 43, Lacemaker, son William Jesse, age 16, Labourer, son Herbert, age 13, Labourer, daughter Amy Mary, age 11, daughter Rose Adelaid, age 8, son Isaac, age 3, son Benjamin, age 10 months.

1891 census Agricultural labourer, age 61, Widmer End, Hughenden, Buckingham, Mary, age 51, son William J, age 26, Chair turner, son Isaac, age 12, son Benjamin, age 10, son Edward J, age 8.

1901 census Farm Ag L, age 71, widowed, Great Kingshill, Hughenden.
                                    Last edited by Joy Dean; 19-08-09, 18:50.
                                    Joy

Comment

I'll get Mary's & Isaac's details tomorrow.

Do you have William's & Hannah's details?
                                      Glen

Comment

Thank you very much.

William died 8 March 1874, and Hannah died 5 May 1851; I have their death certificates and their marriage and christening details but not their burials.

Cause of death: 'Cancer in the Face', he was age 75, formerly a Farm Labourer. The informant was James Dancer, in Attendance, of Wycombe Union Workhouse, Saunderton.

Cause of death: 'Inflammation'. Not Certified', she was age 51, wife of William Newton, Labourer. The informant was Martha Allnutt, of Summerleys, Princes Risborough, present at the death - possibly related to the registrar, William Allnutt?
                                        Last edited by Joy Dean; 19-08-09, 20:41.
                                        Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                                          Thomas COPCUTT botp Amelia SAUNDERS sotp Banns 5/9/1830
                                          Wit: Joseph RIDGWAY Elizabeth BOWDEN All made their mark.

Thomas COPCUTT s. James/Hannah 24/6/1810

James COPCUTT botp Hannah VARNEY sotp Banns 21/10/1806
                                          Wit: John ROSE Jnr William GRIFFIN Joseph HARLAND William COOK
                                          Charles JARVIS Only first 3 wits signed.

James COPCUTT s. John/Elizabeth 15/8/1784 Paid 3d.

John COBCUTT s. Francis/Mary 15/1/1757

I think the last is the same family as the majority of children of Francis & Mary are getting married & having children as COPCUTT later in the register.

BURIALS
                                          Elizabeth wife John 56 7/5/1818
                                          John 88 23/1/1845
                                          Amelia 44 13/3/1855
                                          James 74 9/9/1855
                                          Hannah 74 14/10/1855

I've still to check the pre 1750 records.

The Record Office don't hold the Waddesdon Methodist Registers & suggest you contact the church direct.
                                          Youre a star!

Thank you very very much!
                                          I Think all the Copcutts are related, it's an unusual name!

Comment

Working...
                                          X