Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
    Hi Glen,

Many thanks for your time.... there is another marriage for Salome Parker as detailed below. The problem is I can't establish who she married. Please could this go on the list for next time!!

many thanks, Sandra

Charles James Drummond Apr-May-Jun 1868 Ipswich Suffolk
    View Record Salome Parker Apr-May-Jun 1868 Ipswich Suffolk
    View Record William Tricker Apr-May-Jun 1868 Ipswich Suffolk
    Results per page Viewing 1-3 of 3
    Sorry Sandra, that request got lost amongst the replies. I'm not sure when I shall be back in Suffolk as I hope to have a knee replacement soon & won't be able to drive for six weeks. Also there are about 16 parishes under Ipswich at that time, some of them very big so searching over 3 mths would take a lot of time unless I struck lucky.

However, looking at the info. available, I can tell you that the 4th person was Emily MILLER & she married Charles DRUMMOND which leaves Salome marrying William TRICKER. Charles & Emily are easily found in 1871 living in Bermondsey, however I can't find hide nor hair of William & Salome. I lie, she's probably the Salomi TRICKER who dies Sep Qtr 1868 followed by William Mar 1869. A slight fly in the ointment is a Salome Rachel Tricker who is registered in Jun 1869 & is 10 mths when buried in October - who does she belong to?
    Glen

Comment

• Thanks Glen for trying.

It looks like Salome may have died in child birth?

Sandra

Comment

• 1) Yes, when Martha Chaplin married William Card in 1855, her father's name was given as Edward Chaplin on the marriage certificate so there seems no doubt that he was her father. As Martha was born in 1831, it means that Edward Chaplin was 58 and Mary 18 when she fell for the child.

2) Given his age, it is possible that Edward was Mary Chaplin's father, but since he was the father of her daughter Martha, that would make for a sinister situation even for those days.

The scandal story in the family could possibly relate to Edward's care of Mary but I am more inclined to believe that it was to do with Mary's parentage. The scandal concerns a titled family and that doesn't fit Edward Chaplin. He was a ship's carpenter.

3) The Zebra was decommissioned around 1812, the year of Mary Chaplin's birth, so it is quite possible that it was not in constant use then. However, the census return does say 'at sea' on board the SS Zebra so presumably it was 'at sea' at the time? I am pursuing that line of enquiry.

4) Covehithe Church.
        Opposite the church are a few cottages. The lane I mentioned previously heads off inland at the side of the cottages. It follows the edges of some fields before it reaches down to the beach. It takes about 20 minutes to walk it, if I remember rightly. It is a lovely walk. The road past the church, which goes to the top of the cliff, is severely shortened by erosion as you say. I suppose, in the not too distant future, Covehithe will disappear altogether!.

5) When I was in Wrentham, years ago now, I visited the Church of St. Nicholas. Knowing that the Chaplins, Edward and Mary, lived at 26 Southwold Road, Wrentham, I asked the Administrator of the church if he knew anything. He spoke to some local people and then wrote back to me. Here is part of his reply:

'I spoke to a number of people about the Chaplin's and in particular about 26 Southwold road. Where number 26 falls today was a field originally owned by Benacre Estate and during WW11 by Mr. Fox, the landlord of The Old King's Head (now no. 5 Southwold Road). His daughter, Mrs. Vera Bird, who was in her 70's, says that she thought the houses would have been originally numbered consecutively up the Southwold Road and that No. 26 would have been on what is now the odd side of the road opposite Carters Tower Mill in Southwold Road, which is where No. 34 Southwold Road in now. She said the only Chaplin she could remember was a farm labouring family at Covehithe a long time ago.'

I hope your knee operation goes well and that you soon begin to feel the benefit of it!

Best wishes and thank you for your continuing support and help.

Best wishes, Stella Jones
        Last edited by Guest; 28-07-11, 13:50.

Comment

• Dear Glen, above is the link to the Zebra, upon which in 1812, Mary Chaplin was born.

Stella

Comment

• Originally posted by Starproms View Post
            1) Yes, when Martha Chaplin married William Card in 1855, her father's name was given as Edward Chaplin on the marriage certificate so there seems no doubt that he was her father. As Martha was born in 1831, it means that Edward Chaplin was 58 and Mary 18 when she fell for the child.

2) Given his age, it is possible that Edward was Mary Chaplin's father, but since he was the father of her daughter Martha, that would make for a sinister situation even for those days.

The scandal story in the family could possibly relate to Edward's care of Mary but I am more inclined to believe that it was to do with Mary's parentage. The scandal concerns a titled family and that doesn't fit Edward Chaplin. He was a ship's carpenter.

3) The Zebra was decommissioned around 1812, the year of Mary Chaplin's birth, so it is quite possible that it was not in constant use then. However, the census return does say 'at sea' on board the SS Zebra so presumably it was 'at sea' at the time? I am pursuing that line of enquiry.

5) When I was in Wrentham, years ago now, I visited the Church of St. Nicholas. Knowing that the Chaplins, Edward and Mary, lived at 26 Southwold Road, Wrentham, I asked the Administrator of the church if he knew anything. He spoke to some local people and then wrote back to me. Here is part of his reply:

'I spoke to a number of people about the Chaplin's and in particular about 26 Southwold road. Where number 26 falls today was a field originally owned by Benacre Estate and during WW11 by Mr. Fox, the landlord of The Old King's Head (now no. 5 Southwold Road). His daughter, Mrs. Vera Bird, who was in her 70's, says that she thought the houses would have been originally numbered consecutively up the Southwold Road and that No. 26 would have been on what is now the odd side of the road opposite Carters Tower Mill in Southwold Road, which is where No. 34 Southwold Road in now. She said the only Chaplin she could remember was a farm labouring family at Covehithe a long time ago.'

I hope your knee operation goes well and that you soon begin to feel the benefit of it!

Best wishes and thank you for your continuing support and help.

Best wishes, Stella Jones
            1) This is what I was querying. It was quite common for illegitimate children to 'make up' fathers for their marriages to save embarrassment. In Martha's case who better than Edward who after all would have raised her. I have this several times in my family but a little later so more easily proven. I just think you should keep the possibility in mind.

2) I wasn't suggesting anything incestuous, I just feel that Edward is more likely to be Mary's father than Martha's. Could the scandal revolve around Martha's parentage rather than Mary's? Martha was illegitimate, could her father have been titled?

3) Yes, I was wondering if the Zebra was being sailed to it's new position after it was sold, perhaps even up the east coast & it was during this trip that Mary was born.

5) I meant to say before that the 1851 doesn't have house numbers. The 26 refers to the Householder's schedule. When a new road starts the numbers just continue consecutively. You will find '58' Southwold Road followed by '59' High Street, '86' High Street by '87' Park Farm etc. The description for district 16 is 'all that part of the parish of Wrentham which lies on the east side of the Queen's highway leading from Southwold to Benacre.

Why not put all this on Qs & As & get other opinions.

Thanks for the good wishes for my knee op. The hospital rang to say it would be the 10th, then the consultant rang this evening to say it was the 19th so some time in the next few weeks anyway.
            Glen

Comment

• Hi there,
              lm new to this but I was hoping that you may be able to help me? I'm trying to track down the parents of Samuel Balls.
              He was born in the Worlingham/Wrentham area in 1756 and his partner/wife was Sarah possibly Scarnet. He lived until 1844 and is buried in Benacre. I would really appreciate any help please. Thank you

Comment

• Hi Lesley,

I've only just noticed this. Unfortunately I no longer visit Suffolk frequently so am unable to offer any further lookups. I do remember looking up Samuel (1782) & Martha & family but don't think I looked any further back. I believe I gave all I found to Jenny.
                Glen

Comment

Working...
                X