Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by james collins View Post
    Hi
    Any chance of a look up when you are next in the archives? (I am in Greece so it’s hard to get over there.)
    I am looking for:
    Marriage of Joseph Rice to an Ann ? around 1825, in the Groton area
    Birth of that Joseph Rice 1799/1800 in Hadleigh (father James, mother unknown)
    And birth of James Rice 1781, same area
    Any details concerning James and/or Joseph Rice would be much appreciated. If it helps: Joseph’s daughter Mary Ann Rice (b 1827) married a Jesse Farthing Nov 1850 in Great Waldingfield, Suffolk
    Thank you
    James

From the Suffolk Marriage Index.

Joseph Rice, widower of Groton
    Ann Ponder

7th January, 1824 = Gt. Cornard.

Comment

• Thank you for that.
      J
      Am I related to Scott of the Antarctic? The hunt is on.
      http://www.symidream.com/scott/home.html
      My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

Comment

Hi
        Any chance of a look up when you are next in the archives? (I am in Greece so it’s hard to get over there.)
        I am looking for:
        Any details concerning James and/or Joseph Rice would be much appreciated. If it helps: Joseph’s daughter Mary Ann Rice (b 1827) married a Jesse Farthing Nov 1850 in Great Waldingfield, Suffolk
        Thank you
        James
        Hi James,

I can see if there are any useful details on the original of the marriage that Sue found for you.

As there are no Indices for baptisms the only way they can be found is by searching through each Parish Register which would be very time-consuming so this is why I ask for specific parishes. Also telling me of any info. you've already found is useful. I see from the 1851 Census that as you said Joseph was born in Hadleigh & the IGI shows a baptism there for Joseph son of James & Ceziah/Keziah? 27/9/1800.

The 1851 also shows James as born Edwardstone so I'll check there for you.

There are burials for Keziah in Groton 24/9/1830 aged 55 & in Gt Waldingfield James 11/6/1858 aged 84 & Joseph 4/4/1873 aged 73.

Anyway I'll do what I can but it probably won't be until March.
        Glen

Comment

• Thank you Glen, that is very kind of you.

I am also trying to find out of this Joseph was in fact the father of a Mary Ann Rice, the info I have found would suggest so but would it be too cheeky for me to also ask if a marriage register could be checked?

Mary Ann Rice (bapt. Grotton 22nd April 1827) married to Jesse Farthing on 2nd November 1850, Great Waldingfield, Suffolk. If there is any other information there to support the theory that Joseph was her father, it would be another breakthrough.

James
          My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

Comment

Thank you Glen, that is very kind of you.

I am also trying to find out of this Joseph was in fact the father of a Mary Ann Rice, the info I have found would suggest so but would it be too cheeky for me to also ask if a marriage register could be checked?

Mary Ann Rice (bapt. Grotton 22nd April 1827) married to Jesse Farthing on 2nd November 1850, Great Waldingfield, Suffolk. If there is any other information there to support the theory that Joseph was her father, it would be another breakthrough.

James
            I can certainly check that for you James.
            Glen

Comment

• Many thanks
              James

Comment

• Hi Glen,

On my OH's tree I have a James Mallett, born 1801 in Orford, Suffolk. I am trying to find out who his parents were. There seemed to be a few Mallett families in Orford at that time, and it is not a very big place, so the odds are they might be related. I think his parents might be either Robert (b.1771) and Sarah Mallett, or Jonathan (B.1760) and Rebecca Mallett. James Mallett married Catherine Knights of Orford in 1826.

Any information gratefully received, thanks very much.

Linda
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

• Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                  Hi Glen,

On my OH's tree I have a James Mallett, born 1801 in Orford, Suffolk. I am trying to find out who his parents were. There seemed to be a few Mallett families in Orford at that time, and it is not a very big place, so the odds are they might be related. I think his parents might be either Robert (b.1771) and Sarah Mallett, or Jonathan (B.1760) and Rebecca Mallett. James Mallett married Catherine Knights of Orford in 1826.

Linda
                  Hi Linda,

I'll check those out for you but probably not until March.
                  Glen

Comment

• Thanks Glen that's great, whenever you can get round to it.

Linda
                    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

• Hi Glen,
                      If you have time, I would be grateful if you can find the following births to confirm the actual dates & places:

John Driver (my gt-grandfather) born Westhall or Holton 1833 - 1835. I have a christening date of 26 Jan 1834 (IGI) but his gravestone gives an age of 47 at death in July 1882.

Henry Driver (John's father) born Blyford (?) about 1799 (christened 28 Jan 1799 Holton (IGI) if this is the right one)

Isabel Driver (John's daughter) born Westhall 1865 ? (age 5 in 1871 census) (christened 25 Dec 1865 - IGI)

Thanks very much.
                      Laurence.

Comment

• Dear Glen
                        My G?? Grandmother Harriot Smith born or christened 25/5/1828 Monk Soham, Suffolk. I believe her parents were Samuel Smith and Phaebe Noble born 1781 Monk Soham. Is there anything either in Harriot's chr. or birth details that would give a lead as to who this Samuel Smith could have been. Any info on Samuel Smith born about 1800, Harriot's father or anything else about his family would be great.

Thank you for the offer. I know it's first come etc.

Ayse

Comment

• Thank you for the offer.if you have the time could you please look for the baptisms of;
                          John PRYKE born Great Cornard 1794 give or take a year.
                          Elizabeth Everard born Glemsford 1797 +/-
                          Fran

Comment

• Hi Glen,

Please could you see if you can find Elizabeth Reeve born c1746 Market Weston. She married Thomas Ruddock in 1768 Market Weston.

Also, if time allows, John Ruddock and Mary Clears married c1742 (possibly Market Weston). They had the following children (although this information is from a submitted entry on igi and only offers the year of birth no christening dates), I think: John 1739, Mary, 1745, Thomas 1748, Richard 1748, Hannah 1755, and Jonathon 1757 again may be Market Weston but on the other hand might not! I am not expecting miracles on this one!!

Sandra

Comment

• Noted, Laurence, Ayse, Fran & Sandra.
                              Glen

Comment

• Hi Glen,

If you have time, could you please look for the baptism of James Harden in Lackford about 1778 (the family name later changed to Harding but I'm fairly sure it will be Harden at this time), also any siblings if it's not too much to ask for.

Many thanks, Jane

Comment

• Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
                                  Hi Glen,

If you have time, could you please look for the baptism of James Harden in Lackford about 1778 (the family name later changed to Harding but I'm fairly sure it will be Harden at this time), also any siblings if it's not too much to ask for.

Many thanks, Jane
                                  Noted, Jane.
                                  Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by Sheila from Down Under View Post
                                    Good Morning Oakum Picker from Tropical North Queensland, I am trying to push the Souter side of my tree back as far as I can, I have got to James Souter Born c1781 in Cockfield Suffolk . According to the www site The People of Cockfield he was married to Martha Crick in Cockfield in 1801 and had 7 children. Is it possible you could find anything more out of James, I don't know if this father & mother's name would be in the records or where where they came from. It sounds a lot but if you could help I'll think you are up for saint hood
                                    Thanks
                                    Sheila :o
                                    I searched the Cockfield Register from 1785 back to 1775 but there was nothing. I did notice a baptism for Martha CRICK in 1775 so went back a further 5 yrs but there were no SOUTERs during that period.
                                    I don't know if you have these:
                                    Martha CRICK William/Martha 5/12/1775
                                    A William was a witness on the marriage entry. Also in Cockfield, buried:
                                    William CRICK 84 19/3/1826
                                    Martha CRICK 82 31/3/1835
                                    Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by wulliam View Post
                                      Hi Glen! Thanks for your kind offer - I've finally (possibly) made it over the border from Norfolk into Suffolk.

The IGI (extracted records) show Robert Hawes christened 2 Sep 1744 to parents Thomas & Ann in Walsham-le-Willows, Suffolk. His siblings appear to be:

John (chr. 1746) Mary (49) William (53) Hannah (57) Thomas (62) James (64) John (65) Robert (67) William (69)

If you're able to view the original register (transcription if you can't) then I'd be glad of answers to these:

1) Did any of these die young? For instance, Did Robert christened 1744 die before Robert (1767) was born?
                                      2) Did the mother Ann die, say 1755-63, and then Thomas remarry another Ann?
                                      3) Did Ann die 1785-90? If so (and don't worry about this too much as it may take too long) are you able to find out if there was a will?
                                      4) More generally, what is the quality of the film like? Does it include baptisms, marriages AND burials? What dates? If the answers to (1) - (3) are what I want to hear then I may buy my own copy of the film for long term research.

I realise I'm asking quite a lot there. If it's too much, please take them in order and stop when you've had enough.

Thanks again for the offer!
                                      I'm not sure if what I've found is of much use to you but here goes.

1) Did not appear to.
                                      2) Not in this register.
                                      3) 1783 is a possibility but 1789 would have been too old to be the mother. I searched the available resources & there was nothing but wills are so complex, I'd give the RO a call.
                                      4) The film is basically good although some parts are difficult to read but I didn’t notice any blank pages. Genealogical Society Library Ref: 952204 SRO-BU Ref: J552/17
                                      Starts with Tuddenham St Mary , then Walsham-Led-Willows
                                      Bapt. 1539-1839 Marriage 1539-1837 Banns 1754-1812 Burials 1539-1856 There are also Terriers for several years .

Walsham-Le-Willows
                                      Robert 2/9/1744
                                      Mary 8/3/1747
                                      John 11/6/1749
                                      James 25/8/1751
                                      William 30/12/1753
                                      Hannah 23/1/1757
                                      Thomas 20/6/1762
                                      James 11/3/1764
                                      John 3/8/1765
                                      Robert 11/10/1767
                                      William 14/5/1769
                                      Mary Ann bb of Hannah 14/5/1780
                                      Francis & Mary having children in 1760s
                                      Samuel & Faith having children in 1780/90s
                                      Buried
                                      Ann 9/7/1747
                                      Wife of Robert 5/9/1754
                                      Robert inf 19/1/1763
                                      Jonathan 16/8/1771
                                      Thomas 15/10/1773
                                      Robert 15/9/1783
                                      Ann widow 23/9/1783
                                      Mary sp 18 17/11/1786 prob. d Francis/Mary
                                      Ann relict of Thomas 84 23/12/1789
                                      Thomas mm 68 8/11/1805

Jonathan HAWES W Ann RANDALL Banns 19/10/1764
                                      Wit: Thomas RANDALL William MORLEY Tom & Will signed
                                      Samuel HAWES S Margaret MARSH S Banns 5/11/1770
                                      Wit: ??????? FROST William MORLEY Only Will signed
                                      William MANNING S Hannah HAWES Banns 12/10/1786
                                      Wit: William MORLEY Francis C????stead Will & Francis signed

A Robert & William were having children early 1700s.
                                      Last edited by Oakum Picker; 25-03-10, 14:42. Reason: Bit of underlining
                                      Glen

Comment

Hi
                                        I am looking for:
                                        Thank you
                                        James
                                        Gt Waldingfield
                                        Jesse FARTHING 29 B Lab Lindsey Robert dec. Lab
                                        Mary RICE 23 S - Gt Waldingfield Joseph Lab
                                        Wit: James RICE Hannah RICE None signed

Groton
                                        Mary RICE Joseph/Anne Groton Lab. 22/4/1827
                                        Keziah Rice bur. Groton 55 24/9/1830
                                        Joseph RICE W of Groton Ann PONDER S otp Banns 7/1/1824
                                        Wit: Thomas PRIGG George PONDER Only Tom signed

Hadleigh
                                        Joseph RICE James/Ceziah 27/9/1800

I had a look in Edwardstone for James as that is his bp in 1851 but nothing so I went back to Groton
                                        James RICE Isaac/Grace 4/10/1777
                                        Not conclusive as it’s not an uncommon name but later on the film:
                                        Isaac RICE James/Keziah b. 2/12/1811 bapt. 8/12/1811 admitted into church 12/1/1812.

There is also a marriage at Stoke by Nayland which could be Joseph’s 1st marriage
                                        Joseph RICE Sarah SMITH 28/7/1822. This was in the marriage index but I forgot to look at the register for any other details.
                                        Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                          Hi Glen,

Linda
                                          There was no baptism for a James MALLETT in Orford c.1800. His marriage entry had a John MALLET as a witness, neither signed.

The only John was baptised to a Brady & Susan in 1790 & to the same couple a Jonathan in 1794. As you said at the same time Jonathan & Rebecca & Robert & Sarah were baptising children.
                                          Sarah's maiden name was KNIGHTS. I assume you have Catherine's baptism.
                                          Glen

Comment

Working...
                                          X