What software are you using to restore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried GIMP ?

No History brush, but a work around. (I'm not really clear what a history brush is, but I did read there is a work wround in GIMP for it).

Curious if anyone has tried GIMP and how it stands up to the commercial offerings
    David.
    Researching: Jamieson/Glasgow, Scotland + New York. Fiddaman/Durham. Russell/Lanarkshire

My Tree

Comment

I've heard good things about it, but never tried it myself.
      Sarah

Comment

I wanted a freebie programme that would let me play around with layers, i still haven't used every function the programme offers but paint.net is a useful free programme.

i downloaded from c.net but if anyone wants to know a bit more about the programme and prefers other shareware downloads then have a look at the following link
        Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by daj View Post
          Are they shareable? i.e. you would not be breaching any copyright if you were to post them here. I would like to see them if possible?

thanks
          Just a bit boring for people who don't have history brushes :D

If your program does not have that and you are not experienced then wait a while and get on with the basic stuff
          Last edited by Rachel Scand; 21-07-09, 22:35.
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

So, can you at least explain what a History brush offers?

thanks
            David.
            Researching: Jamieson/Glasgow, Scotland + New York. Fiddaman/Durham. Russell/Lanarkshire

My Tree

Comment

So, can you at least explain what a History brush offers?

thanks
              Hmmmm ~ pass on that ~ but I'm sure there must be something on the internet and Sarah says she has instructions in a book

How advanced are you ? and how familiar are you with using layers and the Erazer tool ?

If you're just starting out then I'd forget about it and get to grips with the basics ~ I didn't use it for about a year because

(a) I'm non techy and
              (b) I felt that a thorough grounding was important

I guess it depends on how serious you are about restoring

not sure how helpful this is but hopefully someone else will come to the rescue
              ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Whats the history brush Rachel:o Never used it!!!!!!
                <just opening CS2 to go looking for it>

I know who sent you the info from Roots, did she tell you about the history brush? I wouldn't mind have some instructions on it too.

I still use Elements 5 and CS2 but haven't done a great deal of restoring for a while and keep forgetting to look in on FTF

My advice is probably the same as Rachels, get a real grip on the basic tools that the software has to offer, then you can play about with other tools
                There is always more ways than one to produce the right effect, most of us just settle on the one we find the easiest!
                Play around with as many scanned damaged photos as you can, practice is the key to improvement. You will soon develop your own style.

Ok found it and googled some tuts.... I do that process manually if needed.
                Last edited by jc26red; 25-07-09, 07:27.
                Jenny x

Researching: Creed, Howell, Anderson, Walton, Dagg, Berriman, Burdett, Murfet etc, etc....

Comment

Hi Jenny !!!!!! Lovely to see you

It was Jim who sent the History Brush instructions ~ will PM you ;)

Comment

Has anyone tried GIMP ?

No History brush, but a work around. (I'm not really clear what a history brush is, but I did read there is a work wround in GIMP for it).

Curious if anyone has tried GIMP and how it stands up to the commercial offerings

David
                    My brother in law uses only GIMP. He has got a couple of others he has bought but prefers GIMP. I did try it and found it hard to use, but then I still can't work out the ones the 5 year olds use.

Must go back and try GIMP again.

Comment

Working...
                    X