No announcement yet.

any help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandra, if you register with ancestry.co.uk, they'll offer you a 14-day free trial.

You have to give your credit card information, but they don't charge you if you cancel before the 14 days are up.

Ancestry has all the Scottish censuses (1841-1901) (not very accurately transcribed) but no Scottish births, marriages and deaths, only English and Welsh.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-07-09, 22:32.

Comment

Sandra

Those are their approximate ages - you will find that people often didn't really know how old they were, or just plain lied, lol, so you need to be a bit flexible with years of birth.

The other people listed are their children, with ages.

You can now go back another generation by finding the marriage for David and Catherine, which will give you the names of their parents.

Do you have a Family Tree Programme anywhere? It's usually easier to enter information as you find it otherwise it all gets a bit overwhelming.

OC

Comment

help

hi oc

you have been so helpful, thnks

i dont have a family tree program, could you recomend 1?

as i am starting to get a bit snowed under with all the info,

Hi Mary

thanks for your advice also

regards

Sandra

Comment

Sandra

A good family tree programme is FTM - Family Tree Maker. You can buy this for a few £££, but DON'T buy the latest version (2009) as there have been reports on here that there is something wrong with it.

If you want a free one, then PAF is supposed to be good - download from the LDS site (familysearch), or use Tribal Pages.

Also - hang on a bit till someone else on here recommends something!

Something else which will save you endless heartache and frustration - write down EXACTLY where you found information. It is extremely frustrating to look at something you have written and think "how do I know that?"

OC

Comment

Sandra, if you are looking for a program to store your data then have a read through the following thread which gives you some options:

Both Legacy and Personal Ancestral Files (PAF) are free programs - and the links will take you to the sites where you can download them.

If you decide to go for Family Tree Maker then I would avoid Family Tree Maker 2008. FTM2009 is the latest version, but a lot of us who have previously used Family Tree Maker are happier staying with one of the earlier versions, e.g. FTM 2005 or 2006. If you haven't used FTM before then I would opt for FTM2009 - you've nothing to compare it with and might as well have the most up to date version.

You will get snowed under with info if you don't start recording it - you'll find that by putting it into a program you will get a better overview of where you are and what the next step should be.
            Elaine

Comment

help

hi elaine

thanks for the advice

yeah i am starting to get snowed under, but i will have a look at the FTB programs to see

but thanks for your help

sandra

Comment

Working...
              X