Musicians with the Militia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musicians with the Militia

My 2Xgreat grandfather, John Luffman joined the Somerset Fencible Militia as a trumpeter in 1794. I have been unable to find any record of his enlistment, but he is shown on the musteroll held in the National Archives as a trumpeter. Would this position have generated any additional documents which may have survived?
    Redroger

Just nudging this up for Red Roger
    J
    Personally I've no idea but maybe someone else does

Comment

Just a thought, Does the S F M have any affiliation through amalgamation to any of todays Regiments. Because if they have, the excisting Reg. Museum may have some more details. I found some for my 6xG/Gdad who served in the 1st Life Guards, 1784 - 1798 through this means.
      Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

It does indeed Pipeman, the Somerset Light Infantry; though I have been to the Museum before (I kept moving so they didn't stuff me!) I was not looking for this info at that time. The change of approach might just work.

Comment

I know that drummers got paid more than privates.....

Comment

I believe it was 3D more per day, or perhaps 3D per week.

Comment

Working...
            X