Do they copy your tree???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
    What a weird thing to do, copying someone else's tree in its entirity when they have no connection to you whatsoever. Like the idea of the family chimp/cockatoo etc - who is making a monkey out of who?
    I had someone do that after letting her see my Tribalpages site, she copied everything onto GR. I politely pointed out that she was not related to anyone on my mothers family at all and gave her the info that did connect to her tree.
    She replied she didn't have time to remove them,
    Errr? she had enough time to add them though :(

I've just been checking some ancestry trees and it's obvious copying for the sake of it is going on there. Quite a few have given my g g grandparents a son born in the NE of England in 1815, dying in 1816 in Indonesia! and the next child is born back in the NE within a year. The thing is there never was a child born/baptised 1815, someone made a transcription error and the date is actually for a child baptised 1819.
    I'm in 2 minds whether to e-mail every one of them to put them right but I know from experience most won't give a toss as they just want names to build up numbers in their tree regardless.
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

On a flip side to this conversation I found my ancestor had been well researched by many researchers as the name is common and well known in Shropshire.

I contacted a fellow researcher asking if he had come across a baptism record for my ancestor as I had been unable to find it. I wish I hadn't...I got the lot! The whole family tree back to the 1700's. It totally spoiled the thrill of the research for me and I still haven't done the work on this side because of it.

Allie
      Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

Yes Allie - that was my point too. It would have spoiled my hunt!

Its clear that many people have had the misfortune to have their hard work copied. However in the case I started the thread with that was not so. The other person and I had come to exactly the same conclusions by searching imaginatively through the records.

I expect if I had put my findings on Ancestry he would have thought I had copied his work - he has carefully added all the references and sources! Since I had only done mine that same day and not yet told anyone it came as a shock to me that someone else was so clever!!!!!! :o [that'll learn me!]

Anne

Comment

Working...
        X