Help needed for Elsby's in Cheshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed for Elsby's in Cheshire

Hi, I've just joined family tree forum and am hoping someone can help me to solve a problem I've got.
    I know that my ancestor James Elsby was born C1819 in Cheshire and his father was William. In the 1841 census James lived next door to William Elsbey(missplelt in 1841 but correct in later census's) in Bradwall, Sandbach. This William is married to Ellen and was born C1800. I believe that this William is James's father and married Ellen Smallwood in Sandbach in May 1817. However, the familysearch website claims that James's parents were William Elsby and Eleanor Dodd who had married in Chester in 1807.
    Could someone help please by maybe finding where James was baptised and maybe details of both Williams?
    Many thanks

Elsby

Welcome to FTF.
    Is the Family search record an extracted one or submitted because that will have a bearing on how accurate it is likely to be.
    In the later censuses, where does your James say he was born?
    Margaret

Comment

Have you got James marriage certificate?
      There is a marriage entry for James Elsby to Elizabeth Elsby Dec 1839 Congleton vol 19 page 97 that might be him. The marriage certificate would show his father's name.
      Margaret

Comment

Cheshire BMD's have the marriage entry and show
        ELSBY Elizabeth ELSBY James Astbury, St Mary Cheshire East 1007/1/333

Is Astbury near Bradwell?
        Margaret

Comment

I see on the IGI that there are 7 children in all (including James) listed as baptised to William and Eleanor, named Elizabeth, Mary Ann, William, Martha, Samuel and Hannah. Martha is certainly the one on the 1841 with William and Ellen so I would say this is definitely the right family. All are baptised in Sandbach between 1818 and 1835.
          Margaret

Comment

Eleanor and Ellen are interchangeable names in my tree. It could be the same person.

Anne

Comment

Hi Margaret and Anne; thanks for your speedy responses! I have James' marriage certificate and he did marry Elizabeth Elsby in 1839 (they weren't brother and sister though!). It lists his father as William and hers as George. Astbury is only a few miles from bradwell which is why i think the William that marries Ellen Smallwood at Astbury in 1817 is James' father compared to the William that marries Eleanor Dodd in Chester in 1807. I assume that is Submitted as i don't think baptisms would have given the mothers maiden. From what you have said I am now almost certain that James' parents are William and Ellen Smallwood not Eleanor Dodd.
              Later census's show James was born in Bradwall. Are you able to see if a William Elsby was baptised in the area around 1799/1800 and therefore get his parents names?

Comment

Hi,
                The only William Elsby I can see on IGI for 1799/1800 are baptised in Liverpool and yours is born in Bradwell so nothing there to help.
                Margaret

Comment

Hiya Elsby....try CPRDb .....Cheshire Parish Records Database..
                  google CPRDb and click on site CPRdb - Version v3.3 - 7 March 2005 (i think lol)
                  Elsby
                  19 babtisms from 1725-1870
                  6 marriages from 1778-1889
                  13 burials from 1823-1868
                  there might just be someone in these records you can connect to...good luck...allan;)
                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

hi,
                    I've tried the CPRDb database and can't find a connection with any of them yet. I seem to be stuck around 1800 with william's birth. It may have been in 1798. In various census' he listed born in 1798, 1799, 1800 and 1801.
                    Do you guys have cd's with complete cheshire parish records and if so are they expensive?

Comment

Perhaps someone on here could get to the Records Office for you and look at the PR's there.
                      Margaret

Comment

Working...
                      X