Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone researching the DYBALL family in Deptford or the SADD family in Suffolk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you give up if you were me, just accepting that she died some time after 1885?
    Joy

Comment

No.

The range of indexes etc. online now is far greater than five or six years ago. More are appearing all the time. With the growth of easily accessible online information people like postcard collectors are turning their collections over and researching addressees.

Mary Dyball was only about 64 when last referenced and could have lasted another 25 years. Your posting here will stay up, as will your postings on other sites.

In your original post you said that you knew what had happened to Mary Ann's children from her fist marriage to Amos Fletcher. If there is a possibility of living descendents then you might try tracing them, an old letter or card may give you some clues. By the 1880s there were a number of photographers in Deptford and the Dyball family could easily afford a few photos.

Set out Mary's details from her christening at Little Glenham to her burial including marriage dates, details of all her children (and descendants) and households including servants at each census and post here and on other gen message boards. Maximise the chances of somebody googling a connected person and finding your request for information.

James George Andrews, one of the executors of John Dyball's will, went from the Peter The Great Pub in the Foreign cattle market to the Admiral Duncan at 503 New Cross Road (near the south end of Deptford High Street). He then moved to 15 Highbury Grove, Islington dying aged 56 in 1908. His estate was valued at £156,188 11s; an astonishing amount for a publican at that time. Given John Dyball's property interests one has to wonder whether James Geoarge Andrews was a business partner rather than merely a friend.

Comment

That's interesting, about James Andrews, thank you for that.

Sadly, all of Mary's children died before her.

I shall put more about her now.

Mary Ann Sadd married Amos Fletcher in Little Glemham, 31 May 1841. Charsfield Banns 16 May, 23 May, 30 May 1841 - Amos Fletcher, bachelor of the parish of Charsfield and Mary Jane Sadd of the parish of Little Glemham, spinster. Both were full age and single. He was a Bricklayer, of Charsfield, father - Lawrence Fletcher, deceased. She was Jane Sadd, of Little Glemham, father - John Sadd, Labourer. She signed "Mary Jeane Sadd". Witnesses were Richard and Hannah Fletcher.

Amos died 25 August 1846 in Charsfield, at 35 years of age. Cause of death: Phthisis, he was age 35, Bricklayer. The informant was his wife, Mary, present at the death, of Charsfield. NB the date on the certificate differs from that on the gravestone. His body was interred 30 August 1846 in Charsfield. Married man, 35 years.

Gravestone inscription:

In Affectionate Memory
        of
        AMOS FLETCHER
        WHO DIED AUGUST 23RD 1846
        AGED 34 YEARS.
        LORD LET ME YIELD IN PEACE MY BREATH
        AND THY SALVATION SEE.
        MY SINS DESERVE ETERNAL DEATH
        BUT JESUS DIED FOR ME.

ALSO OF WILLIAM FLETCHER
        WHO DIED JANUARY 5TH 1872 AGED 29 YEARS.
        NOT DEAD BUT SLEEPETH.

ALSO ARTHUR BROTHER OF THE ABOVE
        WHO DIED FEBRUARY 1ST 1872 AGED 29 YEARS.
        WE PART IN HOPE TO MEET AGAIN.

AND ALSO TRELAWNEY THEIR BROTHER
        WHO WAS DROWNED IN THE RIVER THAMES
        APRIL 17TH 1863 AGED 15 YEARS.
        IN THE MIDST OF LIFE WE ARE IN DEATH.

WILLIAM, ARTHUR AND TRELAWNEY
        ARE INTERRED IN BROCKLEY CEMETERY.

1841 census Bricklayer, age 25, with his brother Richard, Bricklayer, age 20, mother (?) Mary, age 60, Richard's wife Hannah, age 20, wife Mary, age 20, William, age 15, Boundary Green, Chapel Lane, Charsfield.

Amos Fletcher and Mary Ann Sadd had the following family:
        i. Nancy Fletcher was born 1841. She was christened in Charsfield, 5 September 1841. Daughter of Amos and Mary (Sadd Sp), bricklayer, Charsfield. Her body was interred 20 March 1842 in Charsfield. Infant. Daughter of Amos and Mary Fletcher.
        ii. William Fletcher was born in Charsfield 1842. He was christened in Charsfield, 16 September 1842. Son of Amos and Mary (Sadd Sp), bricklayer, Charsfield. William died 5 January 1872 at 29 years of age. His body was interred 9 January 1872 in Brockley Cemetery. Grave no. P693. Age 29, son of Amos Fletcher, bricklayer. Address of person who arranged burial - Reginald Street, St Paul's, Deptford.
        1851 census age 9, Woodbridge Union Workhouse in Nacton.
        1861 census Bricklayer, age 17, b Charsfield, at Paradise, Leiston. - NB - a boarder at the home of his aunt (his mother's sister) and uncle, Emma and Thomas Horn
        iii. Arthur Fletcher was born in Charsfield 1844. He was christened in Charsfield, 23 October 1844. Son of Amos and Mary Ann (Sadd Sp), bricklayer, Charsfield. Arthur died 1 February 1872 at 27 years of age. His body was interred 5 February 1872 in Brockley Cemetery. Grave no. P693. Age 26, son of Amos Fletcher, bricklayer. Address of person who arranged burial - Reginald Street, St Paul's, Deptford.
        1851 census age 6, Woodbridge Union Workhouse in Nacton.
        1861 census age 16, with his mother and stepfather, and stepfather's daughter and mother, and brother Trelawny Fletcher, age 13, at 1 Reginald Street, St Paul's, Deptford.

Mary Ann Sadd was born in Little Glemham 28 October 1821. She was christened in Little Glemham, 9 December 1821. Parents: Jonathan and Sarah Sadd.
        1841 census age 20, with her husband Amos and his family, Boundary Green, Chapel Lane, Charsfield.
        1851 census Pauper, widow, age 29, with children William, age 9, Arthur, age 6, Trelawny, age 3 - all children born Charsfield, Lydia, 7 months, born Nacton, Woodbridge Union Workhouse in Nacton.

Mary Ann Sadd had the following family:
        i. Trelawny Fletcher was born in Charsfield 18 February 1848. Registered as Troloner Randall Fletcher. NB from the Superintendent Registrar: Troloner' is as the register and no doubt was the registrar's interpretation of "Trelawney" said with a regional dialect!.
        Trelawny died 28 April 1863 in River Thames, Poplar, at 15 years of age. Trelawney Fletcher. Cause of death: 'Found dead in the River Thames', he was age 16, Lighterman's Apprentice. Information received from John Humphreys, Coroner for Middlesex. Inquest held 30th April 1863. Enquiries made at London Metropolitan Archives: there were quite a few drownings at that time; inquest papers did not survive. Contacted Tower Hamlets Local History and Archives Library, and Southwark Local Studies Library - no newspaper report of inquest - the latter advised that the London Press started in 1865. His body was interred 2 May 1863 in Brockley Cemetery. Grave no. P693. Age 15, son of Amos Fletcher, bricklayer. Address of person who arranged burial - Reginald Street, St Paul's, Deptford.
        1851 census age 3, Woodbridge Union Workhouse in Nacton.
        1861 census age 13, with his mother and stepfather, and stepfather's daughter and mother, and brother Arthur Fletcher, age 16, at 1 Reginald Street, St Paul's, Deptford.
        ii. Lydia Fletcher was born in Nacton 1850. Registered September quarter 1850 Woodbridge District. She was christened in Nacton, 12 August 1850. Lydia died 1856 at 6 years of age. Registered September quarter 1856 Woodbridge District.
        1851 census age 7 months, Woodbridge Union Workhouse in Nacton.

Mary married John Dyball in Parish Church of St Paul, Deptford, 4 December 1856. John was full age, widower, Timber Dealer, residence: of H Nicholas, Deptford. John's father was William Dyball, butcher. Mary was full age, widow, residence: of this Parish, father: Jonathan Sadd, agriculturist. Witnesses were Joseph Dawkins and G A Masters.

John was born in Scottow, Norfolk. Place of birth given correctly in 1881 census. He was the son of William Dyball and Sarah Cooper. He married Catherine Birmingham in St Paul, Deptford, 26 February 1831. Catherine died 1855. Registered December quarter Greenwich District.
        1841 census Shop keeper, age 34, Catherine, age 28, John, age 9, William, age 5, Samuel, age 2, Elizabeth, age 1, in New Row, Deptford.
        1851 census Wood Cutter, age 45, with wife Catherine, age 44, son John, Wood Cuttter, age 19, son Samuel, Wood Cutter, age 14, son Thomas, Wood Cutter, age 9, daughter Elizabeth, Wood Cutter, age 11, daughter Catherine, age 7, daughter Sarah, age 4 - wife and children all born Deptford, Kent - at Old King Street, St Nicholas, Deptford.
        John died 27 May 1885 in 1 Reginald Road, Deptford. Cause of death: 'Senility asthemia', he was age 78, Gentleman. The informant was C Smith, sister-in-law, 1 Reginald Road. His body was interred 8th June 1885 in Brockley Cemetery. Grave no. A348 on Plot A.

1861 census age 38, with husband John, stepdaughter Sarah, mother-in-law Sarah, and sons Arthur and Trelawny Fletcher, at 1 Reginald Street, St Paul's, Deptford.
        1871 census age 50, with husband John and stepdaughter Sarah Ann, at May Cottage 1 Reginald Street, St Paul's, Deptford.
        1881 census age 60, with husband John, and niece Alice Fletcher, age 13, born Charsfield, Suffolk, at 1 Reginald Road, Deptford St Paul, Kent.

I have traced John's children and grandchildren as far as possible; John died in 1875, William died in 1843, Samuel died in 1879, Elizabeth married Samuel Rutherford, she died in 1914, Thomas died in 1870, Catherine died in 1855.
        Last edited by Joy Dean; 13-07-09, 12:49.
        Joy

Comment

Can anyone find a possible remarriage for her or a death registration, or a sighting anywhere after 1885?? Thank you.
          Joy

Comment

Just a little gentle nudge ... just in case, in hope :-)
            Joy

Comment

If you belong to the Suffolk Family History Society, you will have received or shall be receiving soon the magazine Suffolk Roots on page 149 of which is my final attempt to discover more.
              Joy

Comment

Joy,

what is the last census you have her on please?
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

1881 census age 60, with husband John, and niece Alice Fletcher, age 13 born Charsfield, Suffolk, at 1 Reginald Road, Deptford St Paul, Kent.
                  Joy

Comment

oh right,

well I have found a Mary Dyball in 1891 cens widow living on her own, her DOB is out, but wondered if this might be her?

- Ancestry.co.uk

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 472; Folio 41; Page 16; GSU roll: 6095582

or am I mad? :Wink:
                    Julie

Comment

Thank you. Yes, I had seen that Mary and wondered about her. However, I think I had traced her back to having been married to someone else - can't find my notes now about that!

PS there again, as I can't find my notes about that, maybe I am wrong, and maybe it is her there; though I wonder why she wouldn't have been in one of the houses left to her especially in Reginald Road where her sister and her stepdaughter were living.
                      Last edited by Joy Dean; 01-12-09, 17:20.
                      Joy

Comment

well I suppose that if you try and find a death for this mary then that might eliminate her totally?
                        Julie

Comment

Yes, I think you are right :smilee:
                          Joy

Comment

My direct ancestor is Sarah Dyball (also entered as Dyble) from Norfolk - wonder if your Mary's name got changed?

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                              My direct ancestor is Sarah Dyball (also entered as Dyble) from Norfolk - wonder if your Mary's name got changed?
                              Would she be related to Mary's husband John, I wonder, Heather?
                              Joy

Comment

HI Joy

I have been doing my tree for many years and recently had a break through. William Dyball born 1796 at The British lying hospital was found I have traced him with proof to Thurgarton in Norfolk. There is also your William Dyball the butcher who could lay claim to this birth. 01494765494

Comment

HI Joy

I have been doing my tree for many years and recently had a break through. William Dyball born 1796 at The British lying hospital was found I have traced him with proof to Thurgarton in Norfolk. There is also your William Dyball the butcher who could lay claim to this birth. 01494765494

Comment

How odd that this post should be resurrected. I was just going over my old tree stuff and realised I have both Dybals and Sadds from Norfolk!

Comment

Joy
                                      we have spoken via Ancestry a while back ...how is your search going ?
                                      have you a copy of John Dyball will ? I'm a descendant of his ...and am looking at the properties he owned.

Comment

Originally posted by Southwinds View Post
                                        Joy
                                        we have spoken via Ancestry a while back ...how is your search going ?
                                        have you a copy of John Dyball will ? I'm a descendant of his ...and am looking at the properties he owned.
                                        Thank you.
                                        I have replied to your personal message with my transcription of his will.
                                        Joy

Comment

An update on Mary Ann Dyball - this is a record of her sister Caroline entering the workhouse in December 1891, from ancestry:
                                          https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/ ... 4613-00044
                                          It states that her sister is Mrs Dyball and gives her address, which nicely ties in with a Mary Dyball living at that address in the 1891 census (who takes ten years off her age!).
                                          Joy

Comment

Working...
                                          X