Thank you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you

Being bored, I read some research threads where someone had posted a link to the National Archives will site. Ah!!! the something new for the day. Stuck some names into the search engine and up popped five potentially useful will. AMAZING. who knew that one could download them as soon as they were paid for. No long expensive trips to London, and no long waits for the postman. There they were within the time it took me to figure out how to set up the latest version of Adobe Reader. Of course now I am stuck with trying to read this ancient script. Why did they have to make all the letters look the same?? Thank you Family Tree Forum for this latest helpful hint. I know it is probably in Wiki but that is the only place on this site where I get lost
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Yes, that will service is brilliant. I have had several that way, but as you say deciphering them is a nightmare I use a magnifying glass which helps and once you 'get your eye in' it does get a little easier.
    Margaret

Comment

National Archives site also has pages on reading old handwriting.

A tip - I've found a useful exercise is to type out the will, leaving blanks for the letters or words you can't decipher.

When you read it over the missing word is often very easy to guess.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
      X