Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family search pilot site tuns up some unknown family history!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family search pilot site tuns up some unknown family history!

Whilst looking for my late cousin's birth record in Dublin city for 1935 I was astonished to find that she had two brothers and not one as my late Mum had told me. It was common family knowledge that Raymond was born in Ireland but died during the blitz in London 1940. I now have his birth certificate from Ireland, 1940.

But it seems there was another son, Francis Oliver Curtin born in 1937. I can't find a death record for him, but can only assume he died somewhere in Ireland. His father Thomas Francis Curtin was a carpenter and I know from Raymond's death certificate in 1940 that he was in the British Army.

My Grandparents came over to England from Dublin in 1928 and I knew that Mum's eldest sister lived in Dublin when my cousin, Dolores was a baby, so I assumed her parents married over there yet I couldn't find a marriage record for them in Dublin or elsewhere in Ireland. I had previously searched in England for their marriage but only went back as far as 1932. Last week I found that they had married in London in 1931 when my aunty was only 17!

Needles to say I now have that marriage certificate and my auntie's address was High Rd, Kilburn. Before my Dad died a couple of years ago, he was always going on about visiting Mum's family in High Rd, Kilburn..when he was courting my Mum who was living in Wiltshire then. At last I now have proof that his mind hadn't completely gone, as he had Alzheimer's, and his info was correct after all!

I know we all say don't believe everything your family tells you...which in a lot of cases I agree with. But sometimes it does fit.

Yet no one in our family ever knew or mentioned my cousin, Francis Oliver Curtin. How sad is that?
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 26-06-09, 17:40. Reason: name reinstated
    teresa

Well done Teresa, Francis is being remembered now because of you. Moira.
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 26-06-09, 17:41. Reason: name reinstated

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

Comment

But it seems there was another son, *** born in 1937. I can't find a death record for him, but can only assume he died somewhere in Ireland.
      If there's any chance that he's still alive, his name shouldn't really be explicit on this forum - which can be picked up by Google.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
        If there's any chance that he's still alive, his name shouldn't really be explicit on this forum - which can be picked up by Google.

Christine
        No he's not alive. He was born after my cousin Dolores, so if he had survived there would have been some family photos of him.

I have loads of my aunty's family photos and there are non of either of the 2boys. Dolores Curtin my cousin was the only child to survive and she is no longer alive either. My late aunty & uncle adopted a girl later on who was born in Belfast in 1944..also deceased. The whole family are no longer with us, sadly.

Can you please reinstate his name?
        Last edited by kathsgirl.48; 26-06-09, 17:11. Reason: forgot something
        teresa

Comment

It must be nice for you to know your Dad was remembering his early visits to your Mum's family correctly Teresa.

I'm glad Francis now has someone to remember he existed!
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
            It must be nice for you to know your Dad was remembering his early visits to your Mum's family correctly Teresa.

I'm glad Francis now has someone to remember he existed!

Yes I'm so glad that all of my cousins will now remember him too.

I loved my aunty Dinah so much and it must have been a terrible time for her. Then she lost her husband Thomas Francis Curtin c.1951 in Ireland but I can't find his death record either. I know they lived in Dublin and Tyrone but whether they lived elsewhere in Ireland, I don't know. She then moved back to London in the early 1960's and married again. So I never knew my uncle Tom, but I have some lovely early photos of him, with my aunty, cousin Dolores as a baby including some with my Mum in too, in Dublin.
            Priceless family treasures!
            teresa

Comment

Sometimes our search finds some sad surprises. At least your cousin is now being remembered.
              Kit

Comment

Working...
              X