Help with year please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danny

Are you absolutely sure she is who you think she is?

Her eyes are very odd indeed - she appears to have no eyelids! There is also a very marked dark circle around the eye orbit, exactly the size of a penny, if I'm not mistaken.

Don.t has already said how difficult it is to date men's clothing and I would have put the male's clothing more in the 1920s and 30s.

Maybe the photo is a "fraud" although I can't see the join!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Danny

Are you absolutely sure she is who you think she is?

Her eyes are very odd indeed - she appears to have no eyelids! There is also a very marked dark circle around the eye orbit, exactly the size of a penny, if I'm not mistaken.

Don.t has already said how difficult it is to date men's clothing and I would have put the male's clothing more in the 1920s and 30s.

Maybe the photo is a "fraud" although I can't see the join!

OC
      This is not a good scan, which means the detail is lost when enlarged
      Getting a good look at the eyes remains impossible

There are instructions on here ~ how to scan etc
      Last edited by Rachel Scand; 21-06-09, 00:37.
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

In fact, the more I look at this photo, the odder it seems to me.

We have a woman in full mourning, who looks, to put it bluntly, like a corpse herself. Her eyes are unfocused and she is not looking into the camera.

She is with a man who is her husband. If she is in full mourning, that is for a member of her close family - so why isn't he in mourning too? He is not even wearing an armband and his clothing is light-coloured. His pose is casual and his dress is too - hat tipped back, coat unbuttoned, tie loosened - he looks as if he's just enjoyed a day at the races.

I suspect some trickery here but know nothing about photography and have no idea how (or why!) anyone would do this.

OC

Comment

Apart from his clothes which I agree with Don about the date, I agree with OC, the more I look at the photo the odder it looks, though as Rachel says it's not a good scan.

Comment

Actually - she looks exactly like someone would look at a graveside. Her right arm is crooked in an odd sort of way, almost as if someone is holding on to her arm and she is looking slightly downwards. Her lack of pupils might be something to do with laudanum which was commonly taken at that time, or some other sophorific drug used to treat "grief".

One way to date it I suppose, would be to find out when her parents/siblings died, as that would be the occasion for full mourning - it is obviously not a member of his family who has died.

It would be interesting to know where this photo originated and where the person got theirs from, on Ancestry.

OC

Comment

Hello

I must admit the photo does look very strange, Im unsure where the photo came from as I also got it from Ancestry after chatting with the owner.
              I will get in contact again and see if I can get some info on its origins, I will post my finding when I get my Ancestry back.

Danny
              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

Thanks Danny, ..........pulls up a chair and sits down to wait....

Comment

I have been in contact with yhe gentleman and Im just waiting on the reply now.

Danny
                  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

Working...
                  X