recent? australian deaths help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recent? australian deaths help please

actually the person concerned might not be dead, but as she'd be in her 80's I thought it would be worth checking.

just wondered how easy it would be to find out?

shan't post her full name just in case, but if anyone can help, please can you drop me a pm.

Its a lady my mum knew & lost touch with in the 1960's. I think its quite an unusual surname - Overell - so shouldn't be too difficult.

(unless she remarried of course!)

Last heard of in Brisbane, I have her address in 1963, plus her husband's name.
    Vicky

just to add there is a possible match for her husband in 2 trees over on GR but I don't have a sub so can't contact them. I don't know this lady's maiden name.
    Vicky

Comment

Oh good thread Vicky as I also want to know about very recent death well if they have over last 6 months ;;;
      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Is there anything relevant in the recent archives online for the local newspapers - the Obits/BDM notices?

Or anything in the Ryerson Index? (You'll need to make sure you [a] get to the correct site - which is free, run by volunteers, but welcomes donations - and [b] make sure you follow the instructions to be sure your query reaches the right person.)

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I don't think the Ryerson Index has much for Queensland, it's mainly NSW.

You could try the phone book:

whitepages.com.au - Search for an Australian Business, Government or Person

Alternatively you can try burials.

You'll find some links here:

Research Guide: Australia

Australia - Family Tree Forum

Comment

There's a few Overells here but nothing that seems to match yours.

Grave location search - Brisbane City Council

Comment

Do you know the suburb in Brisbane???

I can have a look in the relevant council area. Brisbane is the second biggest (in land area) local gov area in Australia. It is, however, surrounded by other council areas that touch it's borders, such as Logan, Ipswich, Pine Rivers, Redcliffe, etc, etc.

Comment

Hi Libby,
                Thanks for looking. I have an address in 1963 (Pine St, Wynnum) but as I don't know Brisbane at all.... and of course they could well have moved. My mum thinks she did, (which is why they lost touch) but she has no idea whether they would have stayed in Brisbane itself. She did say she liked the climate so I don't suppose they went too far south.

I did look at the cemeteries too, as you say nothing matches.

I did look at the phone books & there is a possible entry for a couple living somewhere a few miles south of Brisbane. Do most people have entries in the phne books there? here, you can opt out, and many people do.

I am going to try GR & hope the person is a close rellie rather than just being a "name collector"
                Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 16-06-09, 08:34.
                Vicky

Comment

Vicky................Wynum is one of those places where people who were not that wealthy lived in the 1930s through to probably about the late 1980s. It is now one of the very expensive areas. It is on the eastern side of Brisbane on the bay.

If you would like to pm the name, I'll see if anything pops up.

Comment

UPDATE
                    Thanks to info Libby has supplied, I've got an address I'm going to try.
                    Isn't t'internet wonderful!

And many thanks Libby for your time
                    Vicky

Comment

My pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                      X