No announcement yet.

ass[u]ag department?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously the mother then, Mary.. She filled it in herself (the 1911 census is the only one where the original pages were not destroyed). Poor girl, she probably went from school at 15...

Comment

Lead pencils are apparently so called because graphite was (wrongly) believed to be a form of lead:

Pencil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by kiki1982 View Post
        Obviously the mother then, Mary.. She filled it in herself (the 1911 census is the only one where the original pages were not destroyed). Poor girl, she probably went from school at 15...
        To be fair, I shouldn't think many people nowadays would have heard the word either, let alone know how to spell it

Comment

Gran left school in 1912 at 12..........I have the certificate

Comment

From the Concise Oxford Dictionary (which isn't THAT concise as it runs to over 1200 pages of very small print, lol)

Swage 1. Die or stamp for shaping wrought iron etc

Swage-block:1. With a variety of perforations, grooves etc for shaping metal.
            2. Shape with swage, from f.F - s(o)uage, decorative groove, unknown origin.

And from the same dictionary:

Pencil. 2. To mark lightly as with a LEAD pencil.

(OK, I concede that "lead pencil" means a graphite pencil! You won't deny me black lead for grates though, surely?)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              From the Concise Oxford Dictionary (which isn't THAT concise as it runs to over 1200 pages of very small print, lol)

Swage 1. Die or stamp for shaping wrought iron etc

Swage-block:1. With a variety of perforations, grooves etc for shaping metal.
              2. Shape with swage, from f.F - s(o)uage, decorative groove, unknown origin.
              "Decorative groove" isn't part of the definition, it's just the translation of the word that "swage" comes from.

(OK, I concede that "lead pencil" means a graphite pencil! You won't deny me black lead for grates though, surely?)

Erm...

"Black lead...
              A black mineral form of carbon, also known as graphite or plumbago, that
              actually contains no lead".

RootsWeb: GLAMORGAN-L Re: black leading

Comment

*goes home*

Comment

Comment

@Barbara:

Sh could have gone of school earlier of curse, but education was compulsory until 14 then...

But I suppose in working class families that the rules werebent a little?

Comment

School leaving age was raised to 12 in 1899 - your Mary would have been older than 12 in 1899.

Many of my relatives in the 1800s attended school only half day and worked in the mill for the other half from the age of ten (and, I suspect, younger than this).

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                        OC on the ropes at last. :D:D
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

*plans a spectacular come back*

Comment

*grabs popcorn, and pulls up chair. waits for miracle*

Comment

* cowers *

Comment

*sits around nonchalantly*
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X