No announcement yet.

Seaside pics for restoration and colouring please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I've just had another look at the scanning editing options, and although there isn't an 'unsharp mask' option, there is a 'sharpen' one which offers me either 'auto', or 'none, low, medium, high, or extreme'. Should I be choosing one of those? Joy.
    Joy

Comment

I think it is best to choose "none". If the image requires sharpening, it is best to do so after restoration, otherwise any cracks, scratches, dust, etc., will be sharpened too, making them more apparent than on the original.
      Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah. I've scanned it in again using 'none' and 'descreen'. Is this any better? Joy
        Joy

Comment

Too late ~ dunnit ;)

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Wow Rachel, that looks fantastic! I love the cossies! Thank you so much, yet again.
            Joy

Comment

Beautiful colouring job Rachel! Well done!

Joy, that last scan you posted looks better to me. The edges are softer - really noticeable when you look at the edges of the legs, arms, around the eyes, etc.
              So I think your scanner may originally have been set to one of the "sharpen" settings by default. Using "none" seems to have solved the over-sharpening problem.
              Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah. I'll make sure the scanner is set to 'none' on the sharpness option in future. I also selected 'descreen', so should I be doing that as well?
                Joy

Comment

I normally only use descreen if scanning from a newspaper/magazine, or if the photo is printed on textured paper. I don't think it's necessary to use descreen otherwise, but don't think it can hurt either. You can always scan with and without descreen, and see which looks better.
                  Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Lewis View Post
                    Wow Rachel, that looks fantastic! I love the cossies! Thank you so much, yet again.
                    I figured that nobody in their right mind would be prepared to tackle your 2 pics so it was up to me

IF anyone wants a go at the 2nd one, you'll need to look on the internet for the colours of the stonework
                    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Well done Rachel. You've worked your magic again.

Peter
                      Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacky View Post
                        Well done Rachel. You've worked your magic again.

Peter

Comment

I have to ask, those two men at the back of the photo, what ARE they doing????

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                            I have to ask, those two men at the back of the photo, what ARE they doing????
                            Can't tell Barbara but what about the boy (background) is he doing press ups or being sick ? :(

Comment

I hadn't noticed the boy in the background until you said! It looks very suspect to me - mind you, they're a funny lot in Mablethorpe ....
                              Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                                I figured that nobody in their right mind would be prepared to tackle your 2 pics so it was up to me

I had thought about doing these two pictures, but I think I'll leave it to you Rachel.:D:D:D
                                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                                X