Lancashire wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancashire wills

I've just come across a will for Jonathan Robinson on a website Lancashire Will Search which is great as he is my husband's 3rd g grandfather.

On the website, it only gives film numbers to get a copy, but it says that it's from "Supra Wills and Administrations of Lancashire 1558-1857 Church of England. Diocese of Chester. Consistory Court"

Where would I apply to for a copy as I can't get to a LDS centre easily.
    Pauline
    xx
    OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
    www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

You can fill in the contact form here http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/educati...ntact/form.asp
    or send an e-mail with the details of the will to record.office@ed.lancscc.gov.uk
    and they will send you a quotation, payment form and copyright declaration form.
    They charge £5 for a will.

Expect to wait a couple of weeks for a reply though as they're really busy at the moment. I requested some wills on the 14th and received the forms on the 27th, which I still need to fax back with payment details. I can't remember how long it took to receive the will the last time I ordered one from them, a few weeks I think.
    Last edited by Cloggie; 29-04-09, 14:04.
    Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah. That's great info. My lot don't seem to be in the habit of leaving wills, so it's quite exciting to find one :D
      Pauline
      xx

Comment

Ooerr. My oldest ancestor on one line who died in 1801 left a will! I'm tempted to fork out just to see what it says and throw a bit of light on him.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

As its a Chester will you could see if its also available here

If it is it will cost £3 plus 45p postage to get a copy. I've had a few wills from Cheshire Council and they came within a couple of days of ordering
          Jackie

Comment

I wasn't sure which Jonathan Robinson was yours Pauline. There are several from Lancashire and several from Cheshire on the Lancashire Wills site.

If he was from Cheshire the will should be available from Cheshire Council as Jackie says, and probably won't be available from Lancashire Record Office. But if he was from Lancashire it will probably only be available from Lancashire Record Office.

Lancashire wills originally held in the Probate Registry, Chester have since been moved to the Lancashire Record Office as I found out from Cheshire Council a couple of years ago when trying to order one I had found on Ancestry:

The indexes on ancestry.co.uk are about 100 years old and are now somewhat out of date. Since they were compiled (and prior to the wills being deposited here) some wills have been lost and Lancashire wills have been deposited in the Lancashire Record Office.
            Last edited by Cloggie; 29-04-09, 16:17.
            Sarah

Comment

The one I'm after came from Liverpool - Jonathan Robinson, Spirit Dealer. I've sent an email off and had an automated reply, so just got to be patient now I suppose

Jackie, I have checked the Cheshire link you gave, but he's not there, so I think the Lancashire one will be the right place. Thanks for your input though - much appreciated.
              Last edited by POSITIVE Pauline; 29-04-09, 20:25. Reason: Addition to message
              Pauline
              xx

Comment

I've identified 4 possible wills for OH's family and I too am waiting for a reply (have had the automated one).

Now I have got his family a bit further back it has opened up new avenues. Thanks to a 1861 will I have a whole family Newtons and spouses plus the father-in-law William Andrew of Saddleworth at about 1800.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Just to say that Lancashire RO have been brilliant, and a copy of the will arrived in the post today :D. Off to pour over the contents of it now :D
                  Pauline
                  xx

Comment

Pauline, I hope the will gives you lots of information and helps you break down one of those brick walls.

I have today ordered an administration for John Newton of Lidgate (nr Saddleworth) in the hope he is one of OH's Newtons from the area. If so I might be one generation further back. However, as its an admon I'm not holding my breath for much information.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Well I do at least have his date of death now from the will. I hope that will help to tie down a date of burial in Liverpool, and hopefully get his age from that. The trouble is that there are so many burial grounds in Liverpool, I don't know where to start really:( Living in Cornwall doesn't help either. I think I may contact the RO to see if they can help. May be worth spending a few pennies there.
                      Pauline
                      xx

Comment

Admons can be good too, as they tell you the next of kin.
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I know who his wife was, and also have details of his 3 children. After reading the will through, I'm not much further forward other than I have his date of death.

I will break this wall down :(:(
                          Pauline
                          xx

Comment

Well I didn't have to fork out a fiver after all. A remote cousin who has been researching the family for many more years than she cares to remember had done a transcription. Not a great help because he didn't name his children and had two wives, both called Margaret.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                            X