Nazareth House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nazareth House

I've found someone as an inmate in the Nazareth House in Hammersmith on the 1911 census and wondered if anyone knew exactly what it was? I've Googled and it just comes up as care for the elderly and children but the woman I'm interested in was 21 and the others on the page range from late teens to 60. They are all women and their occupations seem to be mainly laundresses and seamstresses although there is one hospital nurse. I wonder if it could have been a home for "fallen women"?
    Sue

Sue - Nazareth House in Bristol in the 50s/60s was for illegitimate children and orphans but googling Nazareth House Hammersmith seems to show that it was first established in Hammersmith to care primarily for the elderly.

These may be of interest:

Nazareth House

PUBLIC HEALTH — NAZARETH HOUSE, HAMMERSMITH. (Hansard, 26 April 1883)
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thats pretty much what I'd found Gillian, so I'm baffled as to why there are so many women inmates that are not elderly or children!
      Sue

Comment

In 1901 it was described as follows:

Nazareth House - Convent and Home for aged and infirm and destitute children.

I would imagine destitute children would bring the "powers that be" into contact with a lot of destitute young women, so maybe it was just that they took in a wider cross section of people?

Comment

Nazareth House in Cardiff is mixture now of residential care, a place for retired nuns and a nursery, my first thought of Nazareth House is that it is Catholic. Not being Catholic myself I'm not sure what the attitude to fallen women was in 1911.
          Clare

Comment

I suppose it's possible Merry.
            I wish I could afford to look at the other 10 pages of the institution to check out all the inmates :(
            On just this one page of 30 women only 4 are over 40, the majority are under 30.
            Sue

Comment

Originally posted by claretaylor22 View Post
              Nazareth House in Cardiff is mixture now of residential care, a place for retired nuns and a nursery, my first thought of Nazareth House is that it is Catholic. Not being Catholic myself I'm not sure what the attitude to fallen women was in 1911.

The Catholic aspect is giving me pause for thought too! Although "my" girl was born in Italy, if she had the parents I think she had she probably wouldn't be Catholic unless of course she converted.
              Sue

Comment

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't worry about the demomination of those they were helping, so anyone might turn up in their home.

Comment

I know Nazareth House in Hammersmith was/is the Mother House for the Sisters of Nazereth as when I worked in London in the mid 60's I often chatted to some of the Nuns from there.
                  Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                    I suppose it's possible Merry.
                    I wish I could afford to look at the other 10 pages of the institution to check out all the inmates :(
                    On just this one page of 30 women only 4 are over 40, the majority are under 30.
                    In 1901 there's 24 pages.

Page 1-4 are nuns and probationers - a large proportion b in Ireland.

Page 4-6 are "aged men" (60+) - inmates.

Page 7-12 are "aged woman", though there's a smattering of young ones - one 18 and a couple in their 30s. None of those have anything in the disabilities column, though a lot of the oldies do.

Page 13 is headed "Inmates - children infirm and incurable" No punctuation in that, so hard to get the exact meaning! The first couple of pages are all young women - quite a few with an infirmity - blind or feeble minded, but not all of them.

After about page 15 it's all children, mostly 10-15 years. No disabilities - born all sorts of places.

The last two pages says "babies and children" but most of those are around 6 years and none at all under the age of 2, so no births going on here by the look of it.
                    Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 21-04-09, 11:02.

Comment

Oh, I didn't think of looking at the 1901 Merry!:o

So she could have been "infirm" or similar - I'll have to wait until 2011 to find out, lol!

Thanks for going to so much trouble
                      Sue

Comment

Sorry to say this, but generally, young women described as Laundresses in Nazareth Homes or Magdalene Homes, were fallen women who were working off their sins in the laundries.

The laundries were not just washing the clothes of inmates, they were commercial operations.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Sorry to say this, but generally, young women described as Laundresses in Nazareth Homes or Magdalene Homes, were fallen women who were working off their sins in the laundries.

The laundries were not just washing the clothes of inmates, they were commercial operations.

OC
                          Which is what I've been wondering all along, OC! If she is the daughter of who I believe, he left her out of his will and that might explain why!
                          Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC
                            Would the babies be sent somewhere else? (what about feeding them?), as there were no babies in the place in 1901.

Comment

The Nazareth House which existed in Middlesbrough till fairly recently was a Roman Catholic home for the elderly, but it started off life as a Roman Catholic orphanage. At the end some of the elderly who had grown up in the home returned to live out their final years being cared for there.

Comment

Merry

Oh yes, mother and baby would be parted, that was part of the punishment.

These women worked in the laundries until someone in the Church decided they had paid for their sins, or until a MALE relative bailed them out. They could be there for many years/decades, if their demeanour was not pleasing or they were not sufficiently "sorry". Not all had had babies, some were deemed to be in moral danger and many a father dumped his flighty daughter in there to teach her a lesson.

Slave labour in other words.

(Sorry, I have a bee in my bonnet about these laundries and boil over every time I even hear them mentioned. Religion at its absolute and utter worst)

OC

Comment

I have a novel about the Magdalene "Laundries" by Candida Crewe, which probably why I had a feeling about Nazareth House. And wasn't there a film too? Apparently they were still around until the 1970's!

Meanwhile I'm still trying to work out if she's a disowned daughter - her possible father claimed 8 children born to the marriage on the 1911 census and she's not one of them (I've found 8 births) so could he have been so totally outraged by her behaviour that it was as if she'd never existed?
                                  Sue

Comment

Hi i believe my great nana was in middelsborogh trying to get any info i can

Comment

Also her sister sarah or sadie between 42 44

And my nana mary giles 36 to 44

Comment

Do u have any further information on this house please

Comment

Working...
                                        X