Hi
    I'm looking to order the birth cert below:

Name: John Smith
    Year of Registration: 1850
    Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
    District: Marylebone (1837-1901)
    County: London, Middlesex
    Volume: 1
    Page: 1[58]9 (click to see others on page)

slightly fazed by the Ancestry page number- the extra brackets??
    The original looks like 'page 159', to me?
    Presumably just a typo on Ancestry? So I order page 159 from CRO...?

also- if anyone is kind enough to look at 'John Smith' born Marylebone, 1850
    there are 3 - but 'my' John was '10 months' in the 1851 census (March 30th)
    so he can't be either of the births registered Ist quarter 1850, can he?

The brackets mean the transcriber couldn't decide if the number was a 5 or an 8.

Does look like a 5 to me though.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

thanks Wendy, I'll go with '159'- as if 'John Smith' wasn't enough of a nightmare!

Comment

John was '10 months' in the 1851 census
        Have you double checked it doesn't say 10 weeks? (a lot of "weeks" or "days" entries end up transcribed as months!)

Comment

Originally posted by PDH View Post
          Page: 1[58]9 (click to see others on page)

slightly fazed by the Ancestry page number- the extra brackets??
          The original looks like 'page 159', to me?
          Presumably just a typo on Ancestry? So I order page 159 from CRO...?
          The database is a copy of FreeBMD's and as Wendy says, it means that the FreeBMD transcriber wasn't sure if it was a 5 or an 8. Often you will find that the image the FreeBMD transcriber was working from was not as clear as the ones that ancestry now has available. It does look like 159 on the ancestry scan. You would have to order from the GRO - General Register Office (now part of the Identity & Passport Service) as the CRO (County Record Office), the London Metropolitan Archives in the case of Marylebone, would not have copies of birth certificates.

also- if anyone is kind enough to look at 'John Smith' born Marylebone, 1850
          there are 3 - but 'my' John was '10 months' in the 1851 census (March 30th)
          so he can't be either of the births registered Ist quarter 1850, can he?
          You're right, if he was 10 months old on the 1851 census then his birth can't have been registered in the first quarter of 1850. Of course, census ages aren't always accurate but you would hope the parents knew how many months old their baby was!
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks, Kite!

I'm getting that [FONT="Fixedsys"]feeling[/FONT] that I could be onto something with this one......

Comment

Working...
            X