Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!... trying to find a birth record

Hi,

I'm trying to find the birth certificate for Mary Ann O'Brien b11/2/1844 (my Gt Gt Grandmother) According to the census she was born in Bethnal Green, although I'm not sure as I've been told the family may have come from Ireland! She married Alfred Edmunds, I have the marriage cert (1867, Dec, Bethnal Grn, 1c, 748) and it shows her father as Charles O'Brien, but I've really hit a brick wall now!! Can anyone help me trace the birth cert?

Thanks for any help, Carole.

Welcome to Family Tree Forum

It might be easier to find her on a census after the marriage first as there should be a greater number of people to search for!

What details do you have on Mary Ann's child who was also your ancestor? (name, dob and place etc) What about her husband, Alfred, - what info do you have on him?

Comment

Ignore what I said - I added a "not" into one of your sentences that wasn't really there!! I'll have a look now............

Comment

Do you have an occuation for Charles?

Comment

Having not been able to find her before the marriage I tried afterwards, but I can't see a Mary Edmunds b Bethnal Green that fits.

Have you got a census reference for her at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
            Having not been able to find her before the marriage I tried afterwards, but I can't see a Mary Edmunds b Bethnal Green that fits.

Have you got a census reference for her at all?
            I have found the family on the 1891 census RG12; Piece: 250; Folio 155; Page 31 this one shows her born in Holborn - 1901 census RG13; Piece: 280; Folio: 164; Page: 8 this one says Shoreditch, but I've got a family bible that indicates she was born in Bethnal Green! The writing on their marriage cert is almost unreadable & unfortunately I can't make out what the occupation of Charles is. I have her date of death as 30/1/1931 and her husband Alfred died 3/3/1931.

Her husband Alfred was a Cabinet Maker by trade and the Edmunds family all lived in and around the Shoreditch area. They had 6 children the youngest May Victoria being my Gt Grandmother. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Deaths Mar 1931

Edmunds Alfred 81 Hackney 1b 604
              Edmunds Mary A 86 Hackney 1b 590

The above would appear to be their death registrations.

Do you know who wrote the entries in the Bible?

Comment

I think she may say Holborn in 1911. I've found Alfred the fishmonger in the index and Holborn seems to be the birthplace of his wife.

Comment

I'm wondering is this is them in 1881?

Alfred EDMOND Head M 30 Shopkeeper General Beth Green, Middlesex
                  Mary Ann EDMOND Wife M 30 Beth Green, Middlesex
                  Mary Ann EDMOND Daur U 11 Scholar Beth Green, Middlesex
                  Emma EDMOND Daur 6 Scholar Beth Green, Middlesex
                  George EDMOND Son 3 Scholar Beth Green, Middlesex
                  Amelia EDMOND Daur 9 m Beth Green, Middlesex
                  Lucy WOOLF Niece U 13 Scholar Beth Green, Middlesex
                  Emma NEWTON Serv U 16 Domestic Servant Beth Green, Middlesex

69 Mount St, Bethnal Green.

I expect you know if those are the right children?

Comment

We need to sort out who Lucy Woolf's parents are!

Comment

Thanks for the refernces. No, not sure who wrote the entries, I have only recently become it's latest 'guardian'. The bible is inscribed 'to Mary Ann Edmunds - October 1883' Looking at the writing I would guess it was completed around that time as the last child was born in 1883. This was the last entry until the next generation took over.

Comment

Her husband Alfred was a Cabinet Maker by trade and the Edmunds family all lived in and around the Shoreditch area. They had 6 children the youngest May Victoria being my Gt Grandmother.
                        He was a fishmonger in 1901 and 1911 though and a general dealer in 1891??

Comment

Yep, that's my family in 1881. I've never heard of a Lucy Woolf though. I will need to research this one to find out who she is. 69 Mount Street is the address on my GtGrandmother's birth cert in 1883.

Comment

Alfred was a cabinet maker on his marriage cert and I have been told he made pieces of furniture for the family. I also know his daughter Emma married James Murray a Fishmonger/Salesman in 1892. They ran a fish shop which caught fire in the 1930's (the family bible being one of the only things to survive!) It is quite possible that Alf worked with his daughter & son in law.

Comment

Ah, I've found him being a cabinet maker!

1871 RG10; Piece: 501; Folio: 35; Page: 23

Ancestry have their surname as Emonds.

I see on this one Mary is 33 which sets her dob back a bit if it's correct (doubtful!). Alfred is 23.

Mary says Holborn in 1871 for place of birth!

Comment

I only have Alfred's dob as 1850 no more info on this yet, but Mary Ann definitely b11 Feb 1844. The death you found for me confirm these dates.

Comment

Originally posted by Tree Tracer View Post
                                  I only have Alfred's dob as 1850 no more info on this yet, but Mary Ann definitely b11 Feb 1844. The death you found for me confirm these dates.
                                  Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say definitely, but that's what's in the bible!!

The age at death might have come from looking in the bible!!

Anyway, I've been looking at Mary O,Briens without any age restriction. No luck yet.

This business if the occ for Charles being impossible to read - is that because the writing is tricky or because it's a poor copy?

Comment

Very good copy, but very 'tricky' handwriting. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Have you got a scan of the cert? You can post up a portion on here and then others could offer their opinions!

What was Alfred's father's name? (I'm not going offtrack - really)

Comment

Who are the marriage witnesses?

(I'm not having any luck with Lucy Woolf! I was desparately hoping her mother might turn out to be another O'Brien!)

Comment

Working...
                                        X