Legacy 7 Free Fam Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy 7 Free Fam Tree

Can anyone tell me where the Gedcom file is to be found when Exporting from this software. Cant see it in [I]My Docs or anywhere else[I] but it must be somewhere.

Mine are in "My documents". (Just had to look as I always seem to make new ones to export, etc)

If you open "my docs" you can click the "search" box at the top and search documents, etc. In the box put .ged and they should come up.

There are lots of Legacy users here much better than I am.....lol

Comment

Thanks for the response Libby but I've searched MY DOCs till I'm blue in the face.

Comment

If you still can't find the file by hunting through "my documents" and the varied folders then just search for any .ged format files on your pc.

Via XP
        1.Click the Windows Start button (usually in the bottom left corner of your Windows desktop)
        2.Click on Search from the Start menu
        3.In the Search dialog box, click All files and folders in the left hand window pane (also known as the Search Companion)
        4.In the All or Part of the File Name box, type part or all of the name of the file followed by the .GED extension, or if you do not know the name use an asterisk * as a wildcard (e.g., Genealogy.GED or *.GED)
        5.In the Look in box, click the drive or drives, folder, or network location that you want to search
        6.Click Search

Vista Users

Basically as above,
        1. Click the Windows Start Button (bottom left of screen)
        2. Enter the file extension .GED
        3. Select the "search everywhere" option
        4. Any files found are then listed in the panel

Screenshot version of the Vista search can be found at post #14 on my FTM thread (same procedure for any software programme)
        Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 02-04-09, 20:45.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

All my files are in Legacy/Data
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy...............I've just gone back and checked mine and they are available in "my docs" but will open in PAF. I do have PAF, but never use it.

Seems odd. I can get them from PAF to Legacy, but I've never looked before as I make a new one each time.

Comment

Can you 'right' click on the file name ans 'open with' find the programme that you wish to open it with

Comment

Thank you Glen.............worked a treat. I've only had a pc for about 12 years, 'funny' how one forgets the basics !
                Thanks also to other members with their advice.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                  Thank you Glen.............worked a treat. I've only had a pc for about 12 years, 'funny' how one forgets the basics !
                  Thanks also to other members with their advice.
                  :D:D

TBH Alan it's something i rarely used on my old machine, the low spec i had meant searches would take forever and the pooter was already slow anyway, when i transferred things to the new machine i realised how bad my filing was.

I'm slowly going through everything and devising a uniform system of naming files, folders and sub folders and amending what i already have so it conforms.
                  It will take a while yet but it will save asking for things that i already have and simply can't find easily.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                  X