No announcement yet.

Help with deciphering 17th century will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all other willd.......somethings? Also her name isn't Pale, it's something like Pallot I think, spelling was still a bit how you fancied, so dialect affected how you said a word and how you spelt it.

Comment

It could also be "one horse" instead of one house. Certainly the e at the end looks the same as the e in give.

I have a will where a pony and a horse are involved.

Janet

Comment

Where's my book on old handwriting when I need it!

It does look like 'House' to me, though...

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          It couldn't be "Cowe", could it? Meaning "cow"? Did she leave anyone else anything like that? "Void" seems to have an e stuck on the end of it so I suppose other words might too?

Yes, that's a thought - she left a heifer to her manservant, and a lot of words do have an extra "e" on the end.

She left her son Henry "All the rest of my goods, quicke and dead". Lucky man
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-03-09, 11:51.

Comment

A circle with a cross through it is usually a C

I'd go with Anne Pale one Cowe. I can't see any sign that the surname has been abbreviated and the terminal e is the same as in "voide" just as the C in Cowe is the same as the C in Clifton.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

That could be a H or C in secretary script, eh, but the end letter doesn't look the same as the 'e' in 'voide'. Could be wrong, though as his e might not be consistent!

Ah found my little book on secretary hand. That abbreviation looks remarkably like the one for '-r', but he says if there's superscript that impleis the middle of a word ommitted, so rather than 'Paler' (which has no ellipsis) it would have to be something like 'Palliser' - where a whole central part of the word is missed out. If that makes sense! Anyone who has !A Secretary Hand ABC Book' by Alf Ison, check out the abbreviations on page 2 - as that superscript squiggle looks a lot like the first one on pg 25?

Comment

Thanks, Phoenix. "Anne Pale one Cowe" it is, then

Comment

Thanks, Penelope - for the moment I think I'll go with Pale, because that's what it looks most like in the husband's will. I'm still a bit dubious, though, as I can't find any Pales in the area.

The handwriting in the will isn't very consistent - the final "e" is written in at least two different ways, with and without a squiggle.

Comment

This is what I think the whole sentence reads:

"my executor of this my last will and testament Also I give unto my grandchild Anne Palis? one horse and all other wills voided Isabella Jackson Thomas Clifton"

Anne's name is still unclear but it is more than Anne Pale.
                    there is clearly more to the will from before this sentence and I doubt a house would be the last item in the will. If it was a house this would surely be the first item mentioned?

Janet

Comment

Ah Mary if you have it in another hand, and it looks like 'Pale' it has to be that, eh? It's beautiful handwriting.

Comment

It's worth looking for all references to "Pale" and spreading your net further to all surnames beginning with "Pal". If the surname has been contracted, it is still likely to be recorded as Pale by some transcribers.

Just as you find the occasional Coop on the IGI.
                        Phoenix - with charred feathers
                        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Could she be Isabel Farjeon? (Farjon)

OC

Comment

Will

Hello
                            This is my best shot at it.
                            My Executor of this my last Will and Testament. Also i give to my grandchild
                            Anne Pale our Ceibe and all other Wills voide.
                            Asabell Farrso[n][i],Thomas Clifton.

Think CEIBE is a house the O with a line through is a C.

Hope that helps you out.
                            tugman

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              Could she be Isabel Farjeon? (Farjon)
                              No, it's definitely Jackson - even TNA transcribed it like that. It's the Jackson family of Wall in Staffordshire that I'm researching, and the surname's very clearly written in her husband's will.

Comment

Thanks, tugman. I think Cowe is the most likely at the moment - I still have to transcribe the husband's will, so maybe that will cast some light on it.

Comment

Hello Mary
                                  I passed it over to people who do a lot of transcribing. Their reply.
                                  I think in this case it is Ann Pale and one cowe. I do not think it says 'our'. The n & e look very much like the n & e in Anne.
                                  tugman

Comment

Working...
                                  X