No announcement yet.

1911 census has really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It could be that his father's name was Harrison but his parents weren't married and so his birth was registered under his mother's surname, whatever that was.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
      It could be that his father's name was Harrison but his parents weren't married and so his birth was registered under his mother's surname, whatever that was.
      Trouble is Kate

He was born 1885/6. In Rotherham according to the 1911 census.

Where is he on the 1891 and 1901?

He joined the army in 1903 as Peter Harrison

He may have been registered under his mother name but was obviously known as Harrison.

His marriage cert in 1908 has his fathers name as Thomas Harrison (deceased)

Comment

where was he living in 1903? have you thought that harrison may be spelt funny on ancestry?

Comment

If there was a family feud he may have said Thomas was deceased when the truth was they weren't on speaking terms.

Also not sure if Yorkshire have their own records online but it might be worth a try. Maybe he didn't make it to the GRO.

It does sound to me though like he may be adopted.
          Kit

Comment

This isn't likely to help you much Margaret but it does sound a bit like the problem I had with my OH grandfather and it shows that you need to think right out of the box. I think following the others named Peter, as Phoenix suggested, with a different surname might be a start.

I struggled for years until the fantastic Merry (we believe) finally solved it. He was always known as Harry Smith and lived in Notts. I finally tracked down his death and discovered that he was actually Henry, not Harry. On his marriage cert he said his father was John Smith a butcher but, even with a name like Smith, there wasn't a Harry or Henry to fit. It was only when I sent for the 1911 census at the address I felt sure he would be at that I discovered he was born in Burford in Oxfordshire. I was then able to find him in 1901 and 1891 but couldn't find him in 1881 or 1871. There were no births that fit that I couldn't track forward and disprove.

I don't suppose I shall ever be able to prove it but I believe that the Henry Preston that Merry found, born in the right place is the one. He was born out of wedlock and is Henry Preston in 1871. His mother married a Smith and he was then known as Smith and kept it all his life. After his step father died he and his mother were back in the workhouse, where his mother died some years later.
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 18-03-09, 07:23.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I've tried to improve the age bit Margaret but I don't think this helps much -

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                where was he living in 1903? have you thought that harrison may be spelt funny on ancestry?
                Hi Kyle

1903 he joined the army in Pontefract, Yorkshire.

I have tried Peter with no surname at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                  If there was a family feud he may have said Thomas was deceased when the truth was they weren't on speaking terms.

Also not sure if Yorkshire have their own records online but it might be worth a try. Maybe he didn't make it to the GRO.

It does sound to me though like he may be adopted.
                  Hi Kit

Yorkshire records are online but they have nothing different to the GRO.

I can't find any Peter with a father Thomas in any census except for the ones I have illiminated.

Comment

Hi Chrissie

Thanks for trying to magnify that image. I now think it is 25 not 35. The age of 25 fits in with being 18 when he joined the army. I know people lied about their age to join the army if they were too young but I doubt they made themselves younger than they really were.

I know what you mean about thinking out of the box. I have done little else yesterday.

Trouble is, he doesn't seem to have existed until 1903 when he joined the army. The only census I definitely have him on is 1911. There he says he was born in Rotherham, which isn't far from where he joined up.

Even if he wasn't registered at birth for some reason, there doesn't seem to be a sign of him in 1891 or 1901 either.

Comment

Hi Margaret,

I live in Rotherham so if you ever find any specific information which you need checking I can go into Rotherham Archieves for you. The problem is at present you do not know what area of Rotherham he was born in so this makes the search difficult.

I have looked on a disc from Rotherham Family history Society (census 1871) to see if there are any Harrisons that jump out at me but there is nothing that shouts at me (thinking in terms of his mother).

If I can help with the search just let me know.

Sandra

Comment

My 2nd great grandfather was Charles Simpson. He was illegitimate. I believe that his mother married a Abberley, and for around 20 years he went under the name of Charles Abberley until his own marriage, when he started using the name Simpson again. He was not registred on the GRO. Could the same have happened to Peter?

Have you tried looking for any female Harrison's marriages on the GRO, and cross referencing them with the 91 census? I do not know how may Harrison's there were in Rotherham, but it might be worth checking.
                        Families Intrested in
                        Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Margaret, have I got this right?

The only documentation you have for him starts in 1903, when he joined the army with the name of Peter Harrison?
                          He was then aged 18 - was that the minimum age for joining up?
                          (If so, he wouldn't have been the first young man to enlist to get away from background problems.)

Wonder if any of the Rotherham bp registers for approx year of birth would throw up any "Thompson" clues - e.g illegitimate child and reputed father?

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you Sandra

I will remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                              Margaret, have I got this right?

The only documentation you have for him starts in 1903, when he joined the army with the name of Peter Harrison?
                              He was then aged 18 - was that the minimum age for joining up?
                              (If so, he wouldn't have been the first young man to enlist to get away from background problems.)

Wonder if any of the Rotherham bp registers for approx year of birth would throw up any "Thompson" clues - e.g illegitimate child and reputed father?

Jay
                              Sorry

Don't understand the reference to Thompson. But, yes the first official thing I have is 1903. There is no reference to parents. The only next of kin mentioned is in 1913 when he was called up as a reservist. He was then living in Ashby de la Zouch and was married with 3 children.
                              Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 18-03-09, 10:53.

Comment

Margaret,

So sorry - I meant HARRISON refs in the bp reg, NOT Thompson. (I was busy chasing up a Mr Thompson when I posted. Another senior moment, LOL)

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                                X