help deciphering some words please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is also another page, which states the following:

"Let the Original last Will and Testament of Thomas Lyon of Liverpool in the County of Lancaster Serjeant at Mace of the Borough of Liverpool be delivered out of the Episcopal Registry at Chester into the hands of Thomas Walthew of Liverpool Linendraper who intermarried with Mary Lyon one of the daughters of the testator Thomas Lyon and in the said Will named upon occasion of producing the same in a certain cause now depending in the High Court of Chancery wherein William Thompson and Ellen his wife are complainants and John Walthew and others Defendants, sufficient security being first given to indemnify the Lord Bishop of Chester and all his Officers from all trouble and charges which may happen or arise touching or on account of the delivery of the said original Will into his hands out of the Registry aforesaid and a true and collated Copy of the same left there in the room thereof
    I, Thomas Walthew of Liverpool Linen draper who intermarried with Mary Lyon one of the daughters of the testator Thomas Lyon and herein named do hereby acknowledge this to be a true Copy of the original last Will and Testament of Thomas Lyon of Liverpool in the County of Lancaster Serjeant at Mace of the Borough of Liverpool delivered out of the Episcopal Registry of Chester into my hands upon occasion of producing the same in a certain cause now depending in the High Court of Chancery wherein William Thompson and Ellen his Wife are complainants and John Walthew and others are Defendants, the same having been carefully examined with such original Will by me this 25th day of July one thousand eight hundred and one."

The copy was made so that Thomas Walthew could have the original for the purpose of the same "cause" referred to in the other document.

So I still think it's 1801 - I can't see why the defendants would hang on to the will for a year before giving it to the solicitors (or whoever John Eden and Thomas Avison were).
    Last edited by Cloggie; 14-03-09, 18:29.
    Sarah

Comment

I see what you mean. Obviously just a flourish on the 1!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sorry, I should have posted the additional info from the start.

Next, to find out what the "cause" was all about! The complainants are one of the daughters of the testator, who he said was already sufficiently provided for and would therefore have "Genteel Mourning which I consider to be in lieu of any bequest that I might make to them by this my Last Will and Testament", and her new husband. She remarried between her father's death in 1796 and the "cause" in 1801. Maybe she felt she was no longer sufficiently provided for!
        Interestingly Thomas Walthew, one of the defendants - who was given the original will, married another of the testator's daughters in between 1796 and 1801.
        Last edited by Cloggie; 14-03-09, 18:38.
        Sarah

Comment

Sarah,

I think that the name is Forshaw as well..
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
          X