Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O'Keefe/Keating marriage help & WW1 Mystry

Hi All
    Many moons ago you helped me with my brickwall wrt my GGrandmother Annie Keating, but even with all your help we couldn't find her prior to her marriage to Arthur Ellison in 1908 in Wigan, except for an Annie being in Swinton Poor Law School. Now at last the 1911 census has turned up trumps, Arthur, Annie and the young boys William & Peter are living in Barnsley. Arthur is still working in the pits.
    Now Annie gives POB as Oldham, at last some tangible evidence that she didn't descend from the planet Zog, to this end I've found what I believe is her birth:
    Q1 1886 8d/681 MMN O'Keefe. I've sent for the cert.
    Try as I may I can't appear to tie in a Keating/O'Keefe marriage.
    I did find a death for a Catherine Keating age 25 in Oldham Q4 1887 8d/722, and wondered if this was the mother, and hence why Annie appears in Swinton Poor Law School, the BC should tell me, but I'm chomping at the bit to progress!!

The other side to this is that I wrongly assumed that family stayed in Wigan and Arthur joined the Lanc's Fussilliers and was killed in 1916 in Flanders. However after looking at his Medal Cards again I see another 2 Arthur Ellisons both in the West Riding Regiment, and seeing that the family were in Barnsley would he have joined up in the WR Reg.?
    Question is how can I find which is the correct Arthur and when he died? see cards below

Any help on the 2 problems would be appreciated and thanks in advance

Got to pop out for a bit, OH says that if I behave myself I can push the supermarket trolley today Oh what joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L
    Last edited by It_Is_I_Leclerc; 14-03-09, 11:27.

Just because Arthur was from Barnsley doesn't mean he joined the WR reg. He may have joined a different one. Have you tried the service records and pension records? He might be on one of those and if so, you will be able to find his service number and therefore get the right medal index card.

When was he born?
    Last edited by Orangeblossom; 14-03-09, 11:37.
    Tracy

Comment

Do you know for definite that your Arthur died in WW1?

If so, can you eliminate any of the A Ellisons who appear on the Commonwealth War Graves site, by cross referencing with army records?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

According to 1911 census, when & where was Arthur born?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There is also the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, as well as the East Yorks ( Duke of Yorks Own) and the West ridings that I know about, the CWGC are a good place to start, if only to find where he's not!

Comment

Arthur was born
            Q4 1885 Wigan 8c/77
            1891 Census 74 Byrom St Wigan
            1901 Census 36 Victoria Terrace Hindley Wigan
            1908 Marriage 18 Byrom St Wigan
            1910 Peter Ellison (son) BC 11 Douglas St Pemberton Wigan
            1911 Census 6 Wright Court, Worsborough Dale, Barnsley

Thanks
            L

Comment

I don't know for certain if my Arthur died in WW1, family gossip has always said that. I can't find any other deaths for an Arthur of the correct age. Also can't find any military records for him except those medal cards.

Thanks
              L

Comment

I can't find anything on the Service or Pension records for him :o

There is one living in Chorley and another living in Chester, but neither have a son called Peter.
                Tracy

Comment

This is the info which I got previously which lead me to believe that this is him

Casualty Details
                  Name: ELLISON, ARTHUR
                  Initials: A
                  Nationality: United Kingdom
                  Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers
                  Unit Text: 10th Bn.
                  Date of Death: 15/02/1916
                  Service No: 5217
                  Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
                  Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 33.
                  Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Thanks
                  L

Comment

Pte 5217 was born in Redcar, Yorkshire and lived in Oldham, Lancashire. He enlisted at Aston-under-Lyne, Lancashire.
                    Tracy

Comment

Ah !, so the mystery deepens, where and what happened to him?
                      I'll have to have another trawl thru all the BMD's again
                      Getting bogeyed doing that for the O'Keefe side of the equation
                      Thanks
                      L
                      Last edited by It_Is_I_Leclerc; 14-03-09, 18:28. Reason: spelling !

Comment

If he was a miner, perhaps he didn't join up?
                        Some did, but others didn't - I think some would be exempt. Coal was needed for ships, railways, power for munitions factories etc.
                        Keep the home fires burning and all that?

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                          If he was a miner, perhaps he didn't join up?
                          Some did, but others didn't - I think some would be exempt. Coal was needed for ships, railways, power for munitions factories etc.
                          Keep the home fires burning and all that?

Jay
                          The same thought was going thru my head as well, as I can't find any details of any of his brothers and father in the military they were also miners. So I start trawling the BMD's maybe a mining tragedy ?

Thanks
                          L

Comment

Some miners went off to the western front to be tunnellers, the tunnelling companies did some incredible things.

Comment

Working...
                            X