This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britec View Post
    Thanks Wendy not sure whos else is watching them on this forum and if there helping anyone
    I hope i am explaining it all ok

I had a look at three of them Brian, i don't actually use Photoshop but they are useful to me all the same and not having seen the programme "in the flesh" i reckon i could probably jump in with some confidence after watching a run through a couple of times.

I use photoscape which lacks the two things i will probably want to use in the future, (unless the updated version has the options), namely the adding colour to a b&w image and the portrait background ability.

Photoscape cropping allows a variety of ratios to be selected and also free cropping but it can only ever work between 4 fixed points so the results are square/rectangular or circular/elliptical.

I think i'm going through a phase of liking b&w images with one colour added to pick out something in the image, eg a b&w streetscene with a red phonebox or a flowerhead in colour but the remainder of the image in b&w.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Is this any better Brian?

Last edited by WendyPusey; 11-04-09, 13:57.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Yeah thats it Wendy you got it:D
        This is your photo all I done its the curves to make it stand out a bit.

Comment

Thanks Brian. Will go and do that to mine.
          Wendy

Comment

Nice for photo back drops

YouTube - How To Make Fabric background in Photoshop

Comment

Great Tutorials Brian, I love the method used for removing backgrounds, never knew that & gawd that will make some things so much easier

Thanks for all your hard work

Comment

That fabric tutorial was great. Thanks Brian.

I've just tried it but I used a pattern fill first and then followed your tutorial and it came out great. Just like patterned fabric.

Wendy

Comment

yeah its a cool way of making loads of different types of fabric, and yours looks cool

Comment

Spurred on by the tutorials Brian posted i downloaded a freebie prog and just wondered what you all think of a first bash at layering a coloured and b&w image? The aim being to have a mainly b&w image with just the flower head/petals in colour

I have only posted a section of the completed image but you should get the idea.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Just popped in before bed

Wendy and Glen ~~~ GOOD WORK !!!!

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

good work Glen, once you get the bug you won't be able to stop :D

Comment

Glen here is a good free photo program good some good tools in it like photoshop and its free PhotoFiltre - Download

Comment

Thanks Brian, both for the link and the comment. I hold you completely responsible for setting me off into image editing :D

I did the example with paint.net, it took a few attempts to sort out what to do and when but i'm quite chuffed with it as as first attempt. The full image has seven flower heads and it did get a bit tedious (possibly a bit ambitious but it probably taught me a thing or two).

I haven't had a bash at adding colour as yet but that is probably next on my list, i can probably get away without seeing as i really just want to use my own images and i always start with a colour version.

Technically the two programmes i'm using (photoscape and paint.net) are maybe not the ultimate programmes but with a bit of imagination and determination they seem to make quite a good combination. I can;t complain for two free downloads anyway.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

New tutorial about Scanning and Cropping in Photoshop

YouTube - Scanning and Cropping in Photoshop New 23/04/09

YouTube - How To Make Fabric background in Photoshop New 23/04/09
                              Last edited by Britec; 11-04-09, 23:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Britec View Post
                                New tutorial about Scanning and Cropping in Photoshop

YouTube - Scanning and Cropping in Photoshop New 23/04/09

YouTube - How To Make Fabric background in Photoshop New 23/04/09
                                I have used overlaying a negative image to get the black band/alignment as you demonstrated once before, now now i'm thinking from a photography viewpoint and it's given me an idea or two for a technique i could try when i'm using the camera to take pictures.

Now where can i download a bigger imagination?????? :D:D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Brian,
                                  I gave up waiting for the rainy day and watched some of the videos - had OH watching over my shoulder as well - I now need some spare time to work on all of the family photos - I am sure it will be so much easier with those lessons - thank you so much.
                                  Have one query - what are the best tools to use on documents (as in wills) that are in jpgs that are difficult to read in the first place and often have other faint lettering and background noise appearing that has nothing to do with the actual writing, together with age blemishes. Difficult to explain - I have tried several things but removing the grey or black lettering (which possibly comes through from the back of the paper) seems to decrease the quality of the actual lettering as well.
                                  Your thoughts would be appreciated.
                                  Marion
                                  There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Hi Marion

if you dont want to post the doc on here you can post it to me in private message and i will take a look for you.

Comment

Heres part 2 of the fabric tutorial

YouTube - Fabric Background in Photoshop Part2 12/04/09
                                      Last edited by Britec; 12-04-09, 12:28.

Comment

Slow down !!!
                                        This is my fabric using Part 1 ... gawd ... didn't know there was going to be part 2

Not sure if the brain cell can cope with any more today

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Very nice Rachel.

I filled mine with the pattern first and then put in the gradient fill.

Will have to have a go the other way.
                                          Wendy

Comment

Working...
                                          X