Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find a death/burial?

Morning all!
    I have been searching for the death or burial of Charlotte Pope, last known to be in Cranbrook in 1816 (her daughter was born there). In 1851 her husband, Samuel Pope is in Ashford, living with his second wife, so I'm wondering what happened to Charlotte.
    I visited Cranbrook yesterday and walked around the graveyard, however I couldn't find any Popes, and most of the older stones were worn away. Their two children born in the village were baptised at the Wesleyan church.
    Could anyone suggest any pointers?
    Many thanks!
    Karen

Karen - was she alive on the 1841 Census?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

There is a death for a Charlotte Pope -

Dec 1848 E. Ashford
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Samuel Ellis Pope
        married
        Dec qr 1850 Cranbrook
        either:

Phoebe Hook or
        Mary Lockyer or
        Sarah Simmons or
        Ann Smith
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:

Comment

Hi Elizabeth,
          I haven't been able to find either her or Samuel on the 1841 census, however Samuel's children by his second wife were born from 1826, all in Ashford, so I'm guessing that's where Samuel would be.
          Many thanks,
          Karen

Comment

Karen, what was Samuel's second wife's name?
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
              There is a death for a Charlotte Pope -

Dec 1848 E. Ashford
              Ooh I wonder if that's her and he was living two lives!
              That would be the first bit of scandal in the Pope family ;)

Thanks for that, will send off for the death cert just in case
              Karen

Comment

Hi Elizabeth
                Samuel's second wife's name was Hannah, unfortunately I don't know her surname, I've not be able to find the marriage either.
                I'm not doing very well am I?!!
                Many thanks,
                Karen

Comment

Is this them in 1841?:

POPE, Samuel
                  CRANBROOK, Kent
                  HO107 piece 473 folio 3/40 page 11

Samuel 50 Ag Lab
                  Phebe 48
                  Both born in county

Edit: Just seen his wife's name was Hannah! So not them.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                    Is this them in 1841?:

POPE, Samuel
                    CRANBROOK, Kent
                    HO107 piece 473 folio 3/40 page 11

Samuel 50 Ag Lab
                    Phebe 48
                    Both born in county

Edit: Just seen his wife's name was Hannah! So not them.
                    Not him I'm afraid - but it wouldn't surprise me if they were related, I thought that Cranbrook was an odd place for him to go, he was born in Etchingham, married in Ewhurst, then ended up in Kent! Maybe there's more Pope family there...

Thanks!
                    Karen

Comment

It looks as though the Samuel Ellis Pope on the census might be related - it says he was born in "Barmouth" Sussex, but in fact it is probably Burwash (as on later censuses) .

Burwash is just down the road from Etchingham.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

This is Samuel and Hannah in 1861, in case you haven't got them:

Class: RG9; Piece: 512; Folio: 98; Page: 21
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Thanks for your help Elizabeth
                          There are so many Popes in and around the Burwash area I'm getting confused - i think I'll put them all on one big family tree to get my head around them all!
                          I'm sure my Popes are related to the Burwash family, but haven't made the connection (yet!)
                          I have to go out now, but will resume my search when I return
                          Thanks again,
                          Karen

Comment

if you think charlotte died in cranbrook, the best bet is to search the burial registers for the parish church and maybe the Wesleyan one too. Very few of my ancestors would have had gravestones to start with and they can easily be damaged or taken away.

I only look in graveyards when I know someone is very likely to have been buried there.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Little Nell!
                              I guess it was a bit naive of me to expect to find a grave - Samuel was a weaver so they weren't well off or anything! Where can I find the burial registers for the churches? Would they be at the records office?
                              BW
                              Karen

Comment

Yes. Microfilm of the registers might also be available for order at your local LDS Family history centre. Smaller parishes tend to have all the registers on one film so you can go through and record all the baptisms, burials, banns and marriages listed for your names of interest.
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Marvellous! I feel a day off coming on... :D
                                  Thanks again!
                                  Karen

Comment

Hi Karen

Have you looked at the website The history, genealogy and topography of the Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex ? Its great for all sorts of info for the area from Cranbrook to Ewhurst and beyond. You might pick up some clues there.

Diane
                                    Diane
                                    Sydney Australia
                                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Karen

have a look at non cons on this site... it has helped me no end

BMD Registers: The Official Non-Parochial BMDs Service
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                      X