Certificate fees......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy,
    You state that the Act states that any person can check the indexes at Registry Offices.
    Does this mean we cannot actually check the Registers, just the indexes.
    I am checking as I am going to challenge Manchester Registry Office to let me have personal access, but I want to now exactly what I should be allowed access to.

Comment

Holcan

I read Guy's posting of the law to apply to both indexes AND registers. Of course, there probably wouldn't be a problem accessing the indexes as many local indexes are on line anyway.

I am sure many of us await the outcome of your visit to Manchester Reg Ogffice with bated breath! Do let us know how you get on, but anyone want to take bets that:

They will cite Data Protection and refuse you access (at least for now)

They will allow you access by appointment and at a research fee of about £30 per hour.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Holcan

I read Guy's posting of the law to apply to both indexes AND registers. Of course, there probably wouldn't be a problem accessing the indexes as many local indexes are on line anyway.

I am sure many of us await the outcome of your visit to Manchester Reg Ogffice with bated breath! Do let us know how you get on, but anyone want to take bets that:

They will cite Data Protection and refuse you access (at least for now)

They will allow you access by appointment and at a research fee of about £30 per hour.

OC
        I have printed out the Acts of Parliament from Guy's web site and will take these with me.
        I agree that they will probably refuse me access but I shall certainly note there reasons.
        Should be "interesting " at the very least.
        This could end up as another of my crusades,especially as the LAW seems to be on our side.

Comment

Holcan,

Please let us know how you get on

Comment

Holcan

Good Luck

Comment

I shall report back when I have been

Comment

Oooh, how do I feel about this?

Part of me says "Yes! Goody!" the other half says "Oh no, here come the nutters with the marker pens and scissors" lol.

OC

Comment

A member of the public has the right to search the registers held by a Registrar whenever his/her office is open for business.
                  This was confirmed to me back in 2007 by the then Registrar General, Karen Dunnell.

Note this only applies to Registrars not Superintendent Registrars or the Registrar General, the rules were changed in the late 19th century by the then Registrar General to prevent the public searching the registers held by the Superintendent Registrars and the Registrar General.
                  Cheers
                  Guy
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by holcan View Post
                    I have printed out the Acts of Parliament from Guy's web site and will take these with me.
                    I agree that they will probably refuse me access but I shall certainly note there reasons.
                    Should be "interesting " at the very least.
                    This could end up as another of my crusades,especially as the LAW seems to be on our side.
                    You may also wish to print out the Halsbury's section on
                    Halsbury's Laws of England

Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages (Fees) Order 1968 this removed the fees for searching the registers.
                    Cheers
                    Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                      Surely the local councils should have a duty to employ sufficient people, properly trained, in order to uphold the law? Sacking the people who do the job wouldn't help one iota!
                      That is the point, they are not doing the job therefore they should be sacked and replaced with those who will comply with the law and do the job they are paid to do.
                      Cheers
                      Guy

Comment

Guy have you gone to an RO and asked for the laws to be applied as you have quoted above? I'd love to know how they reacted to your request and if you were successful.

Good luck Holcan.
                        Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                          Guy have you gone to an RO and asked for the laws to be applied as you have quoted above? I'd love to know how they reacted to your request and if you were successful.

Good luck Holcan.
                          Yes, I have often searched registers at the Registrar's office.
                          The reason I checked with Karen Dunnell back in 2007 was because there were so many postings on mailing lists saying one could not search the registers themselves.

Cheers
                          Guy

Comment

Kieghley £7 + £1 handling charge. Very helpful and last two certs ordered were sent out the day after I phoned them.
                            CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                              A member of the public has the right to search the registers held by a Registrar whenever his/her office is open for business.
                              This was confirmed to me back in 2007 by the then Registrar General, Karen Dunnell.

Note this only applies to Registrars not Superintendent Registrars or the Registrar General, the rules were changed in the late 19th century by the then Registrar General to prevent the public searching the registers held by the Superintendent Registrars and the Registrar General.
                              Cheers
                              Guy
                              Thanks for your imput Guy.
                              I have printed the Halsbury details.
                              What is the difference between A Registrar and a Superintendant Registrar-pardon my ignorance-but learning all the time!

Comment

Holcan

The difference is not applicable at local level.

Registers of a sensitive nature (Still births, adoptions) can only be accessed and compiled by the Superintendant Registrar or the Registrar General.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  Holcan

The difference is not applicable at local level.

Registers of a sensitive nature (Still births, adoptions) can only be accessed and compiled by the Superintendant Registrar or the Registrar General.

OC
                                  Thanks OC

Comment

A Registrar is the person who registers Births, Marriages and Deaths.
                                    A Superintendent Registrar is the next level up and is the person often at the County Record Office who accepts & Checks the transcripts of registrations from the Registrar and causes an index to be made from the record of registrations.
                                    He/she also archives the completed registers of births & deaths from the registrar and marriages from the registrars & clergy.
                                    He/she in turn sends copies of the registrations he/she receives to the Registrar-General at the GRO.
                                    Cheers
                                    Guy

Comment

Working...
                                    X