puzzle can anyone help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• puzzle can anyone help

i found my uncle never married but had 2 sons ...its a long shot i know.but ....

colin lennox taylor born about 1906/7 in liecestershire ..his mother was marie louise dunnett so colin was born out of wedlock and when my grandmother married .colin was then put as a taylor.he .... had a son w**** (name removed in case living) taylor thats all i know.he was born either leeds or in that area of yorkshire.maybe 1925/30s is there anyway i can find him on a census.i dont know the mother.
    Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 06-03-09, 21:13. Reason: re possible living person

When he was born he was a Dunnett, so you are saying he changed his surname later? (before marriage?)

Births Sep 1904
    DUNNETT Colin Lennox Leicester 7a 288

Comment

Oh, he was also indexed as Watson. This probably means his father is on the birth cert even if hius mum and dad were not married

Births Sep 1904
      Watson Colin Lennox Leicester 7a 288

Comment

Marriages Sep 1930
        Baker Elisabeth Dobson Leeds North 9b 1089
        Dobson Arthur S Baker Leeds North 9b 1089
        Gay Winifred W Taylor Leeds North 9b 1089 <<<<<<<<<<<<
        Taylor Colin L Gay Leeds North 9b 1089 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I think this could be the right marriage as there is a birth with the W first name you mentioned in 1932 and mmn Gay. That's not a common first name for the period.

Bren, I'm going to have to remove the name from your first post as he could still be alive .......

Comment

Hmmmm....I just realised what you said at the start.....

i found my uncle never married but had 2 sons ...its a long shot i know.but ....
          I'm a bit confused.....do you mean Colin didn't marry? Who was the other son? Obviously the 1932 birth I found won't be his, or the marriage, if he didn't marry! If he had sons and he wasn't married to the mother, the sons would probably be registered in the mother's surname, so you wouldn't be able to find them if you didn't know her name.

Comment

merry dads brothers are dead,but i found today that 2 of dads brothers never married,but the older one was born before nannie married,i believe he was down as a dunnett then when she married his surname became taylor so im not sure if grandad was his father.colin died young he was a male nurse,he died around 1950,s he never maried but had 2 sons. i only know colins first son w******,i dont know w*****s mum .his grandmother marie louise dunnett she married 1908 in liecestershire but colin was already born.brenda xxx
            Last edited by KiteRunner; 07-03-09, 10:26. Reason: remove name

Comment

OK got it now.

So Colin was registered with two possible surnames (ie his mum and dad;s surnames were different. Mum Dunnett, dad Watson (the birth cert would tell you dad's full name and occ but if he had a commonish first name it might be difficult to identify him.

The marriage to Winifred Gay followed by a birth in 1932 for W..... Taylor mmn Gay is just a red herring if Colin didn't marry.

I don't think you would be able to find his sons if you don't know their birth surname(s).

Comment

Are you positive Colin wasn't married to the mother of his children? There are 3 births in Leeds matching the marriage Merry found - 2 boys and a girl between 1932 and 1939.

You should be able to find Colin on the 1911 census, but you won't find him with his children unless they are on an Electoral Role in the 1950s.
                Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
                  Are you positive Colin wasn't married to the mother of his children? There are 3 births in Leeds matching the marriage Merry found - 2 boys and a girl between 1932 and 1939.

You should be able to find Colin on the 1911 census, but you won't find him with his children unless they are on an Electoral Role in the 1950s.
                  no he definetly didnt marry,and had only 2 sons i only know the one by name.
                  brenda xxx

Comment

Merry,

Marriages Sep 1930

Gay Winifred W Taylor Leeds North 9b 1089 <<<<<<<<<<<<
                    Taylor Colin L Gay Leeds North 9b 1089 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Wonder who he is then?

Cant see another Colin L Taylor born
                    Yes I can
                    Births Sep 1918
                    in Hemsworth 9c 307

and it does seem more than a coincedence that that couple had a some of the right name.

Think i'd HAVE to send for that cert, just to satisfy myself. Right Place Right time, son of the right name......... its too many coincdences
                    =====================

what is this all about??

Births Sep 1904

Mr Watson is the father, surely??
                    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 07-03-09, 10:53.
                    Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                      Think i'd HAVE to send for that cert, just to satisfy myself. Right Place Right time, son of the right name......... its too many coincdences
                      =====================

what is this all about??

Births Sep 1904

Mr Watson is the father, surely??
                      Yes, I think Mr Watson is Colin's father, but Marie Dunnett never married Mr Watson, she married Mr Taylor instead!!

I agree about getting the cert (maybe with a qualifier of what the "L" initial stands for!).

There is another Colin L Taylor born much earlier (1879?? I've forgotten), but I think he seems to have married in Staffs area, maybe twice.

Comment

merrie thankyou my nanny married 1908 and i know she had colin first,and its colin children he had 2 the first one was clled name removed.brenda xxx
                        Last edited by KiteRunner; 07-03-09, 19:38. Reason: name removed in case still living

Comment

Births Sep 1904

when i send for the birth certificate as there both in different names...do i send for 2 ? who do i put as the father,marie louis dunnett was the mother....i always thought grandad taylor was the father even though she had him before they married,so this has thrown a spanner in the works,also can i have the address for the £7 certificate price please?thankyou brenda xxx

Comment

I'd order the Dunnett one. Don't put anything in for the father - you don't know who it is.

Order from the GRO - Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service
                            Tracy

Comment

Whether you put Dunnett or Watson for Colin's surname when you order, you will get the same certificate, so you won't miss any info.......

Comment

thankyou merry its who the father is im intrested in brenda xxx

Comment

they wont let me order as they say my log in is wrong s i asked them to send me forgotton password,they did and it wont let me still anyone else having problems i have emailed them. grrrr brenda xxx

Comment

You could re-register, I suppose, if you have a spare email address?
                                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

no unless i use my meddenger one would that work ?brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                                      X