scottish records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottish records

It appears I've been barking up the wrong tree. The marriage transcript for Arthur Spencer Heaphy has just arrived. It states that he was born in Scotland to Francis Heapy and Elizabeth Stuart. Can someone direct me to a site where I could confirm that an Arthur Spencer Heaphy was born in Scotland. The marriage was in 1886 in NSW. Occupation Dentist. So his birth would have been before 1866. And here I thought his parents were Thomas Frank H and Eliza Bradstreet. argh to blissful assumptions;)
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

This is the main Scottish site:
    Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople#

It's great and fast but it can eat up your credits if you don't take care, so always check on FamilySearch first as that one is free!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi,
      I have had a wee look on ancestry Scottish census but no luck.
      The only Heaphy family in Scotland, that I can find are in the 1841 census.
      There is the following on IGI - but it is England.

Arthur Spencer Heaphy b 31 Oct 1852, Christened 5 Jan 1853 at St Mary's, Marylebone, London - extracted entry
      Parents Thomas Heaphy and Eliza.
      What do you think? - am I on the wrong track?

Herky
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Hi again,
        in the 1861 census (England) there is a Heaphy family in Marylebone with the head being ? a dentist and one of the sons a dentistry student.
        RG9,
        piece 71
        folio103
        page 6
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

With a name like that there's not likely to be many others!

Looking at the parents' names Thomas Frank Heaphy - could be Francis. I have a couple of Franks that were actually named Francis. As for Eliza/Elizabeth - not a million miles away again. Could she have been married before?

I'm afraid I know nothing about Scottish research though. Of course he could have been BORN in Scotland and they moved down to London before his baptism.

Anne

Comment

I would put a big bet on that family being yours! What a large family!

I think the occupation of the head is Artist, Figure subjects. OooooH! Just googled him and he seems to be a known artist!!!

Anne

Ahh - drat! That one is too early for the one on the census. Seems very likely to be a relative though.
            Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 06-03-09, 16:35.

Comment

Look here Darnley Fine Art Artist is Thomas Frank Heaphy.

Anne

Comment

Yes - I was unsure about the head being a dentist - looks more like artist now you mention it.
                Wow, now what I wouldn't give to find an artist.
                My 4 x great grandfather is listed as a portrait painter on his son's death cert.
                He then ended up being transported to Australia for petty crime so I guess he wasn't very good at it - sorry, I digress.
                This chap however appears to have some talent.
                Lucky to have relatives like that.
                I wonder if the born in Scotland thing was just an error - very unusual name!
                herky
                herky
                herky

Comment

Have a look at this BDA museum page. You can then contact them. If he was registered before he went to Australia then you might be lucky.

BDA (British Dental Association) - Was your ancestor a dentist?

Comment

Have you addresses for him in Australia? If not then I can post what's in the OZ version of ancestry directories. He's mentioned from 1887 - 1892

Comment

I think you need to get the birth certificate for Arthur Spencer Heaphy. It is shown on FreeBMD index as Dec 1852; Marylebone; vol 1a; page 343. You can then compare the parents details with the marriage certificate you have from Australia.

Comment

I notice you said, "the marriage transcript". Is there any chance you can get a copy of the original to make sure it wasn't transcribed wrong? And does his death cert give parents' names? Also you could look for wills left by his possible relatives to see if they confirm it's the right person.
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've been at work all day. Joy Murrin did the transcript. In my quick search before heading off to the 9to5 I could not find any Scottish Heaphies. And considering that this Arthur in Australia said his Father was Francis and mother was Elizabeth, maybe he was marrying someone who did not like the English so just made up the Scottish story. Father Thomas Frank was dead by 1886 and maybe he made up his mother's maiden name to appear even more Scottish. Since none of your searchings found any Heaphies in Scotland, I'm going with that story. The world won't end if I am wrong. And yes if it is my Arthur he is the son of the artist Thomas Frank Heaphy (known in the family as Thomas Frank because his artist father was also Thomas ) Thanks for all your responses. Wish I could have been home today to take part in the hunt.
                          Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

I have just had another quick look for Heaphys in the Scottish census. What I have found does not take account of alternative spelling, which of course is very possible with an unusual name.

In 1841 - one Family living in North Leith - Elizabeth (?mum), b c 1806, b Scotland, and two children, Eliza bc 1831 and Robert bc 1834, both b Midlothian.

In 1901 - two men, both from Ireland. Martin Heaphy bc 1877, warehouseman in Musselburgh and Cornelius Heaphy, b 1875 , a railway porter living in Bothwell.

Good luck with your searches and lucky you having a talented artist in the family.
                            herky
                            herky

Comment

Working...
                            X