Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any one help?

Hi all,

I am looking for Charles Simpson. I can not find his birth on the GRO. He was born in either 1874 or 1875 at Burton-Upon-Trent, Staffordshire.

He married Mary Ann Grimsdell on the 12 Sep 1896, at Christ Church, Burton. He was aged 21, a Labourer. The witnesses for the marriage were Thomas Grimsdell & Susan Grimsdell, the bride's father and sister. His father was listed as illegitimate.

I have found him on the 1901 and 1911 Census. The 1901 census can be found at RG number: RG13 - Piece 2647 - Folio 84 - Page 11.

He died on the 29 Dec 1944, aged 69.

I have looked for female Simpson's marriages between 1875 and 1881, and have found one for an Elizabeth Simpson to John Abberley in 1876. On the 1881 census, it lists a son called Charles Abberley, born at the right time. I can not find him on the GRO.

This Charles Abberley was a servant in 1891, but by 1901 he does not appear. There is also no death for him.

There is a Charles Simpson registered in March 1874. He is the son of Sampson Simpson. His twin brother William is registered in the same quarter.

Could he be the same person, and how can I prove if he is or not.
    Last edited by Tippin; 06-03-09, 17:04.
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

It could be him, some children are listed under their stepfather's name on the census then marry using their original name.
    Heather

Comment

do you know if Charles had any siblings at all?

if he did, you could order one of their births and get the MMN that way.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I'd get his birth cert...

Births Mar 1874
        Simpson Charles
        Burton 6b 384

(Just realised this is the one that could be Sampson's son.)

Who are the witnesses on the marriage? Could they be related to him?
        Last edited by Orangeblossom; 06-03-09, 12:44.
        Tracy

Comment

What are the names of the witnesses on Charles' marriage certificate?

They may turn out to be married sisters or a half sibling.
          Fiona. xx

Comment

ok so if this is them in 1881, then their 'should' be birth ref's for both Frederick and Charles in BOT area, (as these two wouldve been born before the marriage) so if you can find births I would be temped to see/follow them up and see if I could track thro census to 1911.

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

In 1871 John Abberley is married to a Dorothea, they have a son Frederick 6mths and a daughter Mary 6. Dorothea's death is registered Dec 1874.

RG10; Piece: 2904; Folio: 44; Page: 38
              Fiona. xx

Comment

I will have a look at the marriage cert, and get references' for census returns when I get home. Thanks for the help so far!
                Families Intrested in
                Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

I have added the detail to the first post, not sure if it will help me find him
                  Families Intrested in

Comment

Working...
                  X